Dad's Army Page 12

This is one of my favourite Porridge scenes ever...from 6:01 on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOp28KD04LY

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ October 27 2012, 10:56 AM BST

I saw Fulton MacKay in a Dad's Army episode the other day, he played an officer of course. His other roles I've seen him in were "Mackay" in Porridge/Going Straight and as an RAF examiner in Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em. Did he ever play a more sensible character?
Anyway, I like him, he was great!

Not a sitcom (don't say it...), but he was great in the Doctor Who he did (The Silurians).

I'm currently watching Series 7 and it seems that the quality of the show started to decline at this point. Walker's replacement (after Beck's death), the Welsh jounalist with totally unconvincing false teeth, points to an unintelligent more slapstick based direction. Also, the stories are a bit repetitive, although that's natural after more than sixty episodes or so.

I also noticed a(n) (even bigger) decline with Are You Being Served? after Series 4 or 5 when the characters became lifeless and repetitive getting their applause just by being there but not by presenting any good lines.

Seems as if Croft was a talented writer but didn't know when to stop instead of pressing out the last drop out of his story-bag and characters.

How many different times did Cpl Jones start a sentence with "Permission"?

I can remember a few

Permission to worry you
Permission to panic
Permission to whisper

Are there any more?

Quote: radiat10n @ October 27 2012, 4:55 PM BST

Not a sitcom (don't say it...), but he was great in the Doctor Who he did (The Silurians).

What about Fraggle Rock?

Quote: marko1955 @ November 7 2012, 7:51 PM GMT

How many different times did Cpl Jones start a sentence with "Permission"?

I can remember a few

Permission to worry you
Permission to panic
Permission to whisper

Are there any more?

Permission to speak sir? Heard that a good few times.

RIP Clive - though I guess it's elsewhere too.

Very sad to hear the death of Clive Dunn, but even worse news was the possibility of a new Dad's Army film!

Can't imagine in my worst nightmares a women taking the part of Captain Mainwaring! (Probably played by Miranda Hart!) What about the other character castings? No-one can compare to the originals, anyway!

It has disaster written all over it!

I suspect Miranda would be playing Belgium.

Eh?

Quote: Charlie Boy @ November 13 2012, 11:55 AM GMT

Very sad to hear the death of Clive Dunn, but even worse news was the possibility of a new Dad's Army film!

Can't imagine in my worst nightmares a women taking the part of Captain Mainwaring! (Probably played by Miranda Hart!) What about the other character castings? No-one can compare to the originals, anyway!

It has disaster written all over it!

That may be the worst idea in the history of bad ideas, what brain dead dickhead decided it needed remaking, I doubt it will ever happen though Sick

I also think that this is a very bad idea...but I can't help thinking about a possible cast. If you need an eccentric scottsman (Frazer) then Billy Connolly is the man...Simon Pegg could be Walker....

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ November 13 2012, 9:11 PM GMT

If you need an eccentric scottsman (Frazer) then Billy Connolly is the man...

If you want to plunge your production into a terrible clichéd egotistical mess, sure.

Quote: Agnes Guano @ November 13 2012, 11:10 PM GMT

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What he said.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ October 27 2012, 10:56 AM BST

I saw Fulton MacKay in a Dad's Army episode the other day, he played an officer of course. His other roles I've seen him in were "Mackay" in Porridge/Going Straight and as an RAF examiner in Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em. Did he ever play a more sensible character?
Anyway, I like him, he was great!

Fulton MacKay returned in the final series but in a different role; this time as a doctor. They didn't seem to care about actors playing multiple characters in the same show in those days. Carefree days... :)

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ November 17 2012, 3:13 PM GMT

Fulton MacKay returned in the final series but in a different role; this time as a doctor. They didn't seem to care about actors playing multiple characters in the same show in those days. Carefree days... :)

Without DVD, VHS, or any kind of repeat market, it's unlikely anyone but the most anal austistic-like geek would have noticed.