Dad's Army Page 7

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 19 2010, 1:55 AM GMT

Isn't it also Alistair McGowan, via the magic of television trickery?

Nice work by the BBC tech guys. Pity it's such a shit sketch.

Aha. A good impression is no less good when in a feeble sketch. Your own quick-fire impression of Tommy Cooper and Michael Caine is still a favourite of mine and I'd like to nominate it for a 2010 BCG Award (although I don't think it was in Critique and I haven't seen James Cotter's Tommy Cooper impression yet).

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 15 2010, 12:04 AM GMT

Comedy impressions? I wonder what Michael Caine would have to say on the subject, ladies and gentlemen...?

*puts on pair of comedy spectacles*

"You were only meant to blow the bloody doors off!"

Or how about Mr Tommy Cooper, ladies and gentlemen...?

*puts on a f**king fez*

*vague grunting Harrrrhharrr....*

This evening took a great amount of pleasure at watching my 6 & 8 year old boys hooting uncontrollably at Corporal Jones going round on the mechanical clock tower.

Even had the odd hoot myself.

Can't help thinking they'd like "Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em" - doesn't seem to get the repeats that DA does, though.

And don't say DVD - it's not the same as blundering onto it at 6.00 O'clock on a Saturday evening - its spiritual home, so to speak.

Quote: Lazzard @ May 15 2011, 1:00 AM BST

This evening took a great amount of pleasure at watching my 6 & 8 year old boys hooting uncontrollably at Corporal Jones going round on the mechanical clock tower.

That is why great, classic (family viewing) sitcoms are priceless!

What a massive shame then that we are not making enough of them now, for future generations to howl at, with their families. The famcoms will not make them howl, and the clever, good sitcoms on at the mo, will never be family viewing.

From the 70s and 80s there is a bundle of them that will forever be watchable, but they will be worn out because there is almost nothing suitable for this great pleasure, since.

Quote: Lazzard @ May 15 2011, 1:00 AM BST

Can't help thinking they'd like "Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em" - doesn't seem to get the repeats that DA does, though.

It used to be repeated a fair bit, I remember, so did Porridge and OFAH in the Saturday tea time slot that Dad'd Army almost owns, now. Nothing gets repeated quite as much as DA, does it! It's one of those little things that just infuriates you about the Beeb! They've got the variety to mix it up a bit, but they stick to one sitcom to repeat, repeateadly. It is a bit nuts, as great and enjoyable as Dad's Army is. Truly the King of all repeat sitcoms.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ May 15 2011, 10:24 AM BST

the clever, good sitcoms on at the mo, will never be family viewing.

Have you ever been to Teesside? I can assure you that over here Frankie Boyle is considered tame.

Nothing gets repeated quite as much as DA, does it! It's one of those little things that just infuriates you about the Beeb! They've got the variety to mix it up a bit, but they stick to one sitcom to repeat, repeateadly. It is a bit nuts, as great and enjoyable as Dad's Army is. Truly the King of all repeat sitcoms.

Do you have access to Gold?

OFAH is on all the while, Some Mother's quite frequently. also Porridge (and this weekend Going Straight). Not Dad's Army for some reason.

And, if we are talking about big sitcoms that never get repeats, IAHHM, Up Pompeii, Hi De Hi etc.

As I have all of the Dad's Army DVDs, scripts, and some CDs, I am moving onto sequels.

I am about to get the Dad's Army radio sequel It Sticks Out Half A Mile by Harold Snoad and Michael Knowles. :) But I am not sure where to get High & Dry from. Any ideas appreciated.

Quote: Rob Maris @ May 16 2011, 5:29 AM BST

I am about to get the Dad's Army radio sequel It Sticks Out Half A Mile

Don't bother, it has none of the brilliance of the original.

I am not sure where to get High & Dry from. Any ideas appreciated.

It's never been released commercially, and is only available through *cough* 'private sources'.

I am about to get the Dad's Army radio sequel It Sticks Out Half A Mile by Harold Snoad and Michael Knowles. :) But I am not sure where to get High & Dry from. Any ideas appreciated.

If you want to know more about It Sticks Out Half A Mile there is an article covering the show on the guide.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/radio/it_sticks_out_half_a_mile/

We also have a guide to High & Dry! https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/high_and_dry/

Thanks for the info re It Sticks Out Half A Mile and High & Dry.

Actors I love, in series related to Dad's Army, by writers I respect, means it is worth spending a little money for a few enjoyable hours entertainment (I don't expect too many laughs).

That is why great, classic (family viewing) sitcoms are priceless!

What a massive shame then that we are not making enough of them now, for future generations to howl at, with their families. The famcoms will not make them howl, and the clever, good sitcoms on at the mo, will never be family viewing.

Good observation, Alfred. I'm not a fan of "Dad's Army", but overall I think that the family sitcoms aren't as strong now. I like a lots of contemporary stuff that is really good - but I would certainly concede that its not family viewing.

Interesting to see a repeat earlier of the Victoria Wood documentary on Dad's Army, Don't Panic! The Story of Dad's Army. Great show, both the sitcom and this doc, and I would suggest any who have never seen it (Doc) but who would be interested in an insight into one of our best sitcoms ever might want to check it out on iPlayer (just had a look and it's not up yet - might not be as it's an 11 year old show.) There are substantial contributions from both Croft & Perry and surviving cast members (as of 2000)

One observation though with the passage of time is how effing annoying, and quite frankly surplus to requirement, the Cpl Jones character was. He was a bit of a one joke pony, who for me, overstayed his welcome by a very long long way. His was always the obvious and terribly weak gag in every episode / scene, and now watching back with the benefit of hindsight, was about as funny as root canal work without anesthetic.

Clive Dunn, who played the character, was very interesting in his observations about his alter ego. He knew the shortcomings but ramped it up and, fair play to him, extracted the maximum from it.

Favourite moment for me was a behind-the-scenes still of Arnold Ridley (Pvt Godfrey) sitting in a chair with a fag on. Brilliant.

Disagree 100000% about Cpl Jones.

For me he is the best character in the whole show!

I like Dad's Army but it's not exactly hilarious IMO - nearly all the LOL moments come through him though.

Clive Dunn was brilliant in that show and without his character I think the show wouldn't have been as good.

Quote: lofthouse @ June 4 2011, 11:38 PM BST

Disagree 100000% about Cpl Jones

for me he is the best character in the whole show!

I like Dads Army but it's not exactly hilarious IMO - nearly all the LOL moments come through him though

Clive Dunn was brilliant in that show and without his character I think the show wouldn't have been as good.

See, it just goes to show doesn't it. One man's meat etc.etc.

I know I'm probably in the minority as the audience always pissed themselves every time he said "Don't panic, don't panic."

My problem is that after the 800 millionth time it had begun to wear terribly terribly thin with me. That and the preposterous unlikeliness of him volunteering for yet another singularly inappropriate task (for a man of his age and incompetence)

:)