Jimmy Savile Page 12

Quote: Lazzard @ October 6 2012, 1:25 PM BST

Having said all that, what exactly would the point of an investigation be?
Commit some resource to counselling those who he 'fixed it for' - but there's no point in cruxifying a corpse.
I thought we were short of funds at the moment?

I think it is turning into a story about how well known his actions were at the BBC. The public should have known about this while Saville was alive, which means there are many people who were in some way complicit. Many will still be alive and should be accountable for their actions or lack of. My hope is that IF there were other celebs getting up to THE SAME THINGS, they can be made accountable BEFORE they too pass.

I just hope I am never in the dock with you lot as jurors

What are you likely to be in the dock for?

A poll at The Telegraph:

Should there be an independent inquiry into the BBC's handling of the Jimmy Savile allegations?

Yes: 86.54% (8,519 votes)

No: 13.46% (1,324 votes)

Quote: Lazzard @ October 6 2012, 1:25 PM BST

Having said all that, what exactly would the point of an investigation be?

The attitude of covering up and excusing vile behaviour is not an ancient relic. It's institutionalised.

Quote: Bob Hicks @ October 6 2012, 1:34 PM BST

I think it is turning into a story about how well known his actions were at the BBC.

Definitely.

The newspapers, particularly the Mail and the Murdoch lot, are loving this.

They've been looking for another way to trash the Beeb since Sachsgate, and this is manna for them.

If the comparisons with the Catholic church have not already been made, it's only a matter of time.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ October 6 2012, 1:50 PM BST

If the comparisons with the Catholic church have not already been made, it's only a matter of time.

"Watching Savile's ex-colleagues squirm around in the aftermath of all this is deeply unpleasant, and it just shows how difficult it can be to stand up to someone so powerful. People, including Esther, keep referring to the fact that Savile had even been blessed by the Pope, and if the Pope can't tell someone's a paedophile, then how could they possibly be expected to know? The irony of this defence is almost more than I can stand."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/9587450/Jimmy-Savile-allegations-Esther-Rantzens-response-defies-belief.html

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ October 6 2012, 1:50 PM BST

Definitely.

The newspapers, particularly the Mail and the Murdoch lot, are loving this.

They've been looking for another way to trash the Beeb since Sachsgate, and this is manna for them.

Yes, Tom Watson's been conspicuous in his silence on this matter. Can you imagine how quickly he'd have broken the axle if these allegations were about a Sky employee?

The Mail again is a spoof of itself-

Was there a sex ring inside the BBC?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2213608/Was-sex-ring-inside-BBC-Jimmy-Saviles-Radio-1-colleague-procured-girls-him.html

Quote: Aaron @ October 6 2012, 2:11 PM BST

Yes, Tom Watson's been conspicuous in his silence on this matter. Can you imagine how quickly he'd have broken the axle if these allegations were about a Sky employee?

Perhaps he could praise News International for its long standing progressive stance against sexual exploitation of women.

Quote: youngian @ October 6 2012, 2:47 PM BST

Perhaps he could praise News International for its long standing progressive stance against sexual exploitation of women.

He'd never break the rabid habit of a lifetime.

The stuff that I've heard whispered about Savile would make your cigar curl. He was one dodgy f**ker, there's no doubt about that. In fact if Blackadder was describing him, he'd probably say he was dodgier than a man from Dodge City, eating Jammy Dodgers on a dodgem car, whilst listening to 90s powerpop trio 'Dodgy'.

I can't understand why so many here are surprised about this protocol of social etiquette-based omerta, indigenous in our so-called modern society: in our lives, we all of us have encountered someone "up to no good" but do we ever "blow the whistle" and raise our objections? No, we don't. "I don't want to get involved" is our motto. It takes a brave person to stick their heads up above the parapet to be shot at, as history shows that such people will end up disaffected and marginalised in society, while the do-badders carry on unimpeached, protected by their circles of threatening praetorians. Such reprehensibles are endemic throughout all areas of our society - and we know it, but do nothing about it: we are sheep at the behest of wolves.. and if we never take a stand, perhaps we, as such, deserve no better?

Quote: Lee Henman @ October 6 2012, 9:31 PM BST

The stuff that I've heard whispered about Savile would make your cigar curl. He was one dodgy f**ker, there's no doubt about that. In fact if Blackadder was describing him, he'd probably say he was dodgier than a man from Dodge City, eating Jammy Dodgers on a dodgem car, whilst listening to 90s powerpop trio 'Dodgy'.

:D

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ October 6 2012, 10:28 PM BST

I can't understand why so many here are surprised about this protocol of social etiquette-based omerta, indigenous in our so-called modern society: in our lives, we all of us have encountered someone "up to no good" but do we ever "blow the whistle" and raise our objections? No, we don't. "I don't want to get involved" is our motto. It takes a brave person to stick their heads up above the parapet to be shot at, as history shows that such people will end up disaffected and marginalised in society, while the do-badders carry on unimpeached, protected by their circles of threatening praetorians. Such reprehensibles are endemic throughout all areas of our society - and we know it, but do nothing about it: we are sheep at the behest of wolves.. and if we never take a stand, perhaps we, as such, deserve no better?

God knows what kind of people you meet but I can honestly say the weird folk I know are not that kind of weirdo. I remember a suspect plumber in school - we told the gym teacher about him and he vanished (there's the power of PE for you).

Quote: Bob Hicks @ October 6 2012, 1:14 PM BST

This is very disturbing: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9589207/Jimmy-Savile-abuse-audio-recording-emerges.html

I used to teach an undercover surveillance course - espionage etc, Jim Rockford shit. And in my professional opinion that recording is fake.

Why? At no point do the voices overlap.