Citizen Khan - Series 1 Page 6

Sorry I don't get this? Is it possible to explain what this all means? APS Huh?

I smiled at one or two jokes but yeah, it was a pretty shoddy effort. I can't quite fathom why the general public seem to enjoy such dated comedy. Both my parents and grandparents love 'Mrs Brown's Boys' but when I tell them that it's dated they just say: "That's the idea". Surely not? Eh?

Sadly we are living in a world where the cream of British comedy can now be found within the Murdoch empire on Sky Atlantic/Sky One with the likes of Partridge and 'A Touch of Cloth'. This is the quality of comedy that license fee payers should be getting, not 'Citizen Khan' and 'Mrs Brown's Boys'.

Quote: Joey Moose @ August 30 2012, 7:14 PM BST

I smiled at one or two jokes but yeah, it was a pretty shoddy effort. I can't quite fathom why the general public seem to enjoy such dated comedy. Both my parents and grandparents love 'Mrs Brown's Boys' but when I tell them that it's dated they just say: "That's the idea". Surely not? Eh?

Sadly we are living in a world where the cream of British comedy can now be found within the Murdoch empire on Sky Atlantic/Sky One with the likes of Partridge and 'A Touch of Cloth'. This is the quality of comedy that license fee payers should be getting, not 'Citizen Khan' and 'Mrs Brown's Boys'.

But there's an enormous market for these traditional broad comedies, especially in these times of austerity when a lot of people just want big, physical, colourful comedies that go straight for the LOLs. Mrs Brown's Boys is absolutely huge, as is Miranda. Citizen Khan is in the same family, accessible, broad comedy that appeals to the average Joe, not comedy aficionados. There's room for all comedy and traditional studio sitcom had been left in the wilderness for way too long. And as much as it pains the comedy snobs, its return has spawned some spectacularly successful shows. We've had years of single camera clever-clever smug comedies, I see nothing at all wrong with a return to more trad formats.

Quote: Lee Henman @ August 30 2012, 7:50 PM BST

But there's an enormous market for these traditional broad comedies, especially in these times of austerity when a lot of people just want big, physical, colourful comedies that go straight for the LOLs. Mrs Brown's Boys is absolutely huge, as is Miranda. Citizen Khan is in the same family, accessible, broad comedy that appeals to the average Joe, not comedy aficionados. There's room for all comedy and traditional studio sitcom had been left in the wilderness for way too long. And as much as it pains the comedy snobs, its return has spawned some spectacularly successful shows. We've had years of single camera clever-clever smug comedies, I see nothing at all wrong with a return to more trad formats.

So the laughtrack won't extinct...but I think even for a broad comedy it's not forbidden to present the occasional more sophisticated joke.

I want to live in a world where the average joe and the comedy afficionado can watch a sitcom hand in hand. I have a dream... ;)

And as much as it pains the comedy snobs, its return has spawned some spectacularly successful shows. We've had years of single camera clever-clever smug comedies, I see nothing at all wrong with a return to more trad formats.

As a comedy snob can I applaud your assertion that progress is for chumps? And that every single comedy programme currently made is hilariously brilliant entertainment, loved by a demographic that I have nothing in common with except for land sharing and that the quality of said programme can, in no way, be criticised, because someone, somewhere liked it?

And if it is criticised, can we have a blanket statement from the BBC that suggests, despite the huge number of complaints, that millions enjoyed it? I know that millions watched it, which must translate as enjoying it. I mean, I watched it.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 30 2012, 8:01 PM BST

As a comedy snob can I applaud your assertion that progress is for chumps? And that every single comedy programme currently made is hilariously brilliant entertainment, loved by a demographic that I have nothing in common with except for land sharing and that the quality of said programme can, in no way, be criticised, because someone, somewhere liked it?

And if it is criticised, can we have a blanket statement from the BBC that suggests, despite the huge number of complaints, that millions enjoyed it? I know that millions watched it, which must translate as enjoying it. I mean, I watched it.

Nowt wrong with criticism. If you think a show's shit then you have a right to say so, just as others have the right to disagree. I do think a lot of shows are absolute shit but I tend to stay quiet about them. You never know which producer will be commissioner next year. But I also like to stick up for shows that seem to me to be getting a bum deal. Especially since I have a definite vested interest in mainstream studio comedy and I really want it to stick around for a bit
:)

There's room for all comedy and traditional studio sitcom had been left in the wilderness for way too long.

The IT Crowd kept the flag flying!