Citizen Khan - Series 1 Page 4

Quote: Tursiops @ August 30 2012, 11:21 AM BST

Steptoe and Son is still edgey compared to most of the Beeb output.

If only the Beeb really could find someone who could write like Galton and Simpson...

Maybe they CAN find such writers but don't WANT to...

I'm a little confused by the comments about Citizen Khan being broadcast at the wrong time of day. Unless it's an admittance by the British public that they enjoy watching old fashioned, blandly rubbish sitcoms if they're shown at 7pm. Which seems a very strange state of affairs.

'Dear BBC, I found your latest sitcom racist, offensive and poorly written, please move it three hours earlier...'

:S

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 30 2012, 11:46 AM BST

I'm a little confused by the comments about Citizen Khan being broadcast at the wrong time of day. Unless it's an admittance by the British public that they enjoy watching old fashioned, blandly rubbish sitcoms if they're shown at 7pm. Which seems a very strange state of affairs.

'Dear BBC, I found your latest sitcom racist, offensive and poorly written, please move it three hours earlier...'

I already stated this in an earlier post: moving it to another time slot doesn't change the fact that something is rubbish.
Moving The Royal Bodyguard to children's hour might have bettered the viewing figures (presumably) but not the value of the content. Same with Citizen Khan

I think it is those complaining that it is inoffensive who are arguing for the earlier slot.

Isn't there an old Woody Allen joke?

"The food was terrible, and such small portions"

:D
AP Scene

PS Turslop.. I think you missed my point. I wasn't criticising Galton and Simpson, wouldn't presume, just where the mind set of BBC comedy commissioning is at..

I've only seen the YouTube clip so far but yes the family is very stereotypical and pat Pakistani and one dimensional and so is the comedy, but would non Yorkshire muslims really get it if it wasn't? It's a throw back to the old 70s pre PC style sitcom, it looks like, but if it was much subtler, how else would the average viewer get it? I thought that clip was pretty funny.

And don't forget they have a strong cultural identity of exactly the type they are making fun of here. Surely has to be a huge step in the right direction for the image of British muslims to be (finally) seen laughing at themselves? Much more important a thing than winning any scriptwriting awards. And I don't remember The Kumars at No. 42 being particularly subtle. I don't know if the cricket ball scene has aired yet but that was excellent.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ August 30 2012, 12:11 PM BST

I've only seen the YouTube clip so far but yes the family is very stereotypical and pat Pakistani and one dimensional and so is the comedy, but would non Yorkshire muslims really get it if it wasn't?

I think it's supposed to be set in Birmingham, but the accents were so all over the place, it was hard to tell.

And the answer to your question is, yes, Muslims would really get into it even without the stereotypical 1970s crap. As believe it or not, Muslims watch programmes that have nothing to do with being a Muslim.

This is a missed opportunity more then anything else. With all the bad press surrounding the Islamic community in mainstream news outlets, Citizen Khan could have been a conduit for redressing the balance.

There's nothing wrong with a 1970s sitcom...from the 1970s. We're forty years on, comedy tastes have changed and the world is a very different place.

Now write me an episode where MI5 approach Khan to find Al Queda sympathisers in the mosque, there are none, so he uses it as a chance to send his business rival to Guantanomo Bay.

Why confused? It's clearly a pre-watershed sitcom the whole family can watch, that's why it's slightly odd it's on so late.

I watched 5 minutes upto the point Kahn started banging on about bog roll and then gave up.

Is it worth going back to?

I've only seen the trailer, but DO THEY SHOUT EVERY SINGLE LINE? Because I can see how that would start to grate.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 30 2012, 1:12 PM BST

Why confused? It's clearly a pre-watershed sitcom the whole family can watch, that's why it's slightly odd it's on so late.

I'm more confused why it's deemed acceptable to show terrible programmes and then somehow absolve their obvious sins by using the label 'family friendly'.

TV Burp was excellent early evening entertainment that ticked all of the pre-watershed boxes, are you saying that Citizen Khan is in the same league?

Or have you become brainwashed into accepting undemanding spew because the television schedulers have told you to?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 30 2012, 2:58 PM BST

Or have you become brainwashed into accepting undemanding spew because the television schedulers have told you to?

That's the beauty of today's technology. With the most good sitcoms (from the past) being relativly easy available on DVD no one should be dependent on what TV execs give us. If you feel a programme is crap you don't have to think about better timeslot to enjoy it just the same. A "bad scheduling" is no excuse for a crap experience...

I'm more confused why it's deemed acceptable to show terrible programmes and then somehow absolve their obvious sins by using the label 'family friendly'.

I think the point is more that it is a programme you could watch with young, elderly or downright prudish relatives without wincing at the references. So the question was why a programme suitable for a family audience {albeit one of questionable taste) is being shown in a post-watershed slot? It seems to imply a certain nervousness on the part of the BBC.

Oh and I can't stand Harry Hill myself.

Stop being a silly goose.

TV Burp was excellent early evening entertainment that ticked all of the pre-watershed boxes, are you saying that Citizen Khan is in the same league?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

So everyone's agreed that Citizen Khan is better than the BBC's Friday night offering of Miranda, In With The Flynns and Mrs. Brown's Boys. Indeed considerably better than the thing with Lee Mack in it.

But it's not quite up to 'Are You Being Served?' standard yet... But hey these things take time to develop.

AP Scene