Citizen Khan - Series 1 Page 8

Quote: sootyj @ September 3 2012, 11:58 AM BST

Yup he doesn't want his faith mocked but is happy to share a joke about his race/culture.

The thing is, I saw no faith-mocking in the show. But what was very clear from the radio interview was that Mohammed hadn't actually seen the show. He scooted off quick when he felt the DJ was going to press him on the religion angle again. Unbelievable.

I haven't seen the show either, may give it another go.

Quote: Lee Henman @ September 3 2012, 12:04 PM BST

The thing is, I saw no faith-mocking in the show. But what was very clear from the radio interview was that Mohammed hadn't actually seen the show. He scooted off quick when he felt the DJ was going to press him on the religion angle again. Unbelievable.

Isn't that what we always see when 'sensitive' issues are broached in comedy? Whether's it's Muslims or rabid Daily Mail readers, there's a depressingly large subset of the population eager to take offence without any first-hand knowledge. They see a bandwaggon and can't help leaping aboard.

Interestingly enough I saw a big dollop of reverse racism on the otherwise excellent "London Babylon." Where it gave a critical analysis of London up until the 1980s. And by extension its predominantly white, anglo saxon citizens.
But seemed to indicate the city was "saved" by the high intake of various immigrants from the 1990s onwards.
Which you know seemed a bit much.

Quote: Aaron @ September 3 2012, 12:06 PM BST

Isn't that what we always see when 'sensitive' issues are broached in comedy? Whether's it's Muslims or rabid Daily Mail readers, there's a depressingly large subset of the population eager to take offence without any first-hand knowledge. They see a bandwaggon and can't help leaping aboard.

Indeed. Sachsgate springs to mind.

Perhaps the most infurtiating thing is creates a complete swamp where every offence is considered equal.

So Grandma's House and Citizen Khan; which to the best of my knowledge are warm affectionate and sometimes mocking. But quite accurate representations of their communities, are viewed at the same level as Gervais using mong, which for me is much worse.

And throw into the mix. People who would appear to complain about anything involving Muslims or Christians. On the basis that it's probably offensive even if I hadn't seen it.

I suppose the thing that grates on me is that Promise on Channel 4 was about the most antisemitic show I've ever seen (and yes antisemitic not anti Israel). And it seems aside from Jewish groups no one gave a fig.

errr...did they 'brown up' a white guy? sheesh....

No.

Watching it again.

Ok so it's not going to win any awards for being ground breaking and original. But it's pretty funny old fashioned fun and too affectionate to be offensive.

Interesting how old fashioned it is. But you know in a good way.

'Nick' left My Family to do stuff like this...?

Quote: sootyj @ September 3 2012, 10:42 PM BST

Watching it again.

Ok so it's not going to win any awards for being ground breaking and original. But it's pretty funny old fashioned fun and too affectionate to be offensive.

Interesting how old fashioned it is. But you know in a good way.

I watched it and laughed a few times. But it is very dated and reminds me of the crap on ITV in the 1970s. I won't go out of my way to watch it again though.

I think it's a little bit more good natured and less bitter, in a good sort of way.

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that. Plenty of laughs.

Actually I thought not as good as the first..

The racist gags beginning to grate

AP Scene

I see a real need for a Pakistani sitcom, whether the Muslims want it or not, it's high time they were asked to laugh at themselves in the same way every other culture in Britain does. It's called being normal and human, you laugh at aspects of yourselves and culture which are plainly laughable. It will do them good to try and grow a sense of humour, no I'm not trying to be patronising, I mean it. It's arguably the greatest element in any advanced civilisation, it freed the Christians from the tyranny of hell and damnation theology, made the Jews accessible in most places they settled, eventually, and could be the key to integrating the stubborn type of hardline Muslims who just will not integrate into the culture of the country which gives them a better and far freer life than they'd ever get back home. Until they learn to laugh like everyone else and lighten up a bit then this will never be their true home. Stop complaining about the sitcom and laugh! Angry Like this Laughing out loud see. It's funny, laugh and enjoy your very own sitcom.