Citizen Khan - Series 1 Page 10

Epic fail.

Quote: sootyj @ September 3 2012, 10:42 PM BST

Interesting how old fashioned it is. But you know in a good way.

It does have that old-fashioned trad sitcom feel, but is it really any more old fashioned than say, Miranda?

I'm beginning to wonder if Khan is being singled out as a particularly 'old-fashioned' sitcom simply because it has funny Asians in it and accents and does jokes about racism. Maybe we're all so hyper-sensitive about offending minorities in narrative comedy (especially Muslims) that it just looks weird on the screen, even if it is written by and starring Asians.

What I really hope is that the backlash by the die-hards won't spook the BBC too much. I don't know what the viewing figures are for episode 2 of Khan but as far as I'm concerned it's a potential grower.

Quote: Withal Spackster @ September 3 2012, 6:09 PM BST

errr...did they 'brown up' a white guy? sheesh....

Eh? What?

Quote: Lee Henman @ September 4 2012, 10:24 AM BST

I'm beginning to wonder if Khan is being singled out as a particularly 'old-fashioned' sitcom simply because it has funny Asians in it and accents and does jokes about racism. Maybe we're all so hyper-sensitive about offending minorities in narrative comedy (especially Muslims) that it just looks weird on the screen, even if it is written by and starring Asians.

I don't think that it has been singled out any more than Miranda or Not Going Out (or, for that matter, My Family or In With The Flynns) have been when on air? There's just a lot of extra chatter about the race issue too.

I'd agree that Miranda Hart is even more old fashioned.

I mean the dancing along at the end is like something out of Happy Days.

And Mrs. Brown's Boys even more so. There seems to be a great appetite for old fashioned sitcoms these days.

I think the diference between Mr Kahn and earlier 70s sitcoms is there is a lot more warmth and affection, far less bobbing heads and bisto make up. It's much closer to Friday Night Dinner.

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ September 3 2012, 11:44 PM BST

Shame that the actors aren't pakistanis, then. There's one (tenuous) UK muslim, plus three hindus...

..plus, it's very not funny, imo.

Is there actually an ethnic difference between Pakistan and India? Surely they both cover a regeon historically known as the Punjab?

Didn't Gandi do everything he could to keep it one nation. It's just an artificial religious divide?

AP Scene

Quote: Lee Henman @ September 4 2012, 10:24 AM BST

It does have that old-fashioned trad sitcom feel, but is it really any more old fashioned than say, Miranda?

What I really hope is that the backlash by the die-hards won't spook the BBC too much. I don't know what the viewing figures are for episode 2 of Khan but as far as I'm concerned it's a potential grower.

Eh? What?

I don't think anyone is singling out Citizen Khan, it's better than BBC Friday night output. It's the BBC's lack of balls that is in question. Watched repeats of Black Adder last night on GOLD and that still blows all this stuff out the water.

AP Scene

Quote: Aaron @ September 4 2012, 10:43 AM BST

I don't think that it has been singled out any more than Miranda or Not Going Out (or, for that matter, My Family or In With The Flynns)

Maybe not. It just seems the phrase "seventies sitcom" has been bandied about a lot with Khan. Just wondered if it was because of the funny Asians aspect.

It's probably because the decor in their house looks like it's actually set in the '70s.
It is in the north though.

Quote: Punk Anarcho @ September 4 2012, 11:03 AM BST

I don't think anyone is singling out Citizen Khan, it's better than BBC Friday night output. It's the BBC's lack of balls that is in question. Watched repeats of Black Adder last night on GOLD and that still blows all this stuff out the water.

AP Scene

The likes of Blackadder only come along once in a blue moon. Everything about that show was exceptional. There're lots of paintings in the world but there's no point in comparing them all to the Mona Lisa.

Quote: Lee Henman @ September 4 2012, 11:08 AM BST

The likes of Blackadder only come along once in a blue moon. Everything about that show was exceptional. There're lots of paintings in the world but there's no point in comparing them all to the Mona Lisa.

Hey I'm not after Leonardo Da Vinci.

I'm saying that I'm into post-modern abstract expressionism, and having had Python, Q9 and Black Adder... Some more modern comedy would be great.

AP Scene

Quote: zooo @ September 4 2012, 11:06 AM BST

It's probably because the decor in their house looks like it's actually set in the '70s.
It is in the north though.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Lee Henman @ September 4 2012, 11:08 AM BST

Yup Blackadder was written by the dream team of Ben Elton and Richard Curtis about 2 of the most influential comedy writers of the last couple of decades.

Matched with the absolute cream of British comedic acting talent.

Father Ted was a similar effort with again 2 of the most amazing writers and the absolute top talent.

But it's a big schedule to be filled. And some times the filler type stuff ain't so bad to while away half an hour.

Quote: Punk Anarcho @ September 4 2012, 11:57 AM BST

Hey I'm not after Leonardo Da Vinci.

I'm saying that I'm into post-modern abstract expressionism, and having had Python, Q9 and Black Adder... Some more modern comedy would be great.

AP Scene

Q9 just isn't that funny and Monty Python has been treated harshly by history.

As for modern comedy: Friday Night Dinner, Rev, Shooting Stars etc etc

Quote: Lee Henman @ September 4 2012, 11:04 AM BST

Maybe not. It just seems the phrase "seventies sitcom" has been bandied about a lot with Khan. Just wondered if it was because of the funny Asians aspect.

I don't think it has any more than any other studio sitcom of late. The joyless in society just hate a show with actual laughs and attempt to smear it.

Quote: Punk Anarcho @ September 4 2012, 11:57 AM BST

Well there is ... practically every other comedy currently under commission. Citizen Khan is the exception to the 'modern' comedy trend, not the rule.

WOW! The guy that plays Mr Khan looks completely different in real life.

Quote: Punk Anarcho @ September 4 2012, 11:03 AM BST

Is there actually an ethnic difference between Pakistan and India?

Pakistanis are better-looking.

Quote: sootyj @ September 4 2012, 12:45 PM BST

Q9 just isn't that funny and Monty Python has been treated harshly by history.

As for modern comedy: Friday Night Dinner, Rev, Shooting Stars etc etc

These aren't 'modern' comedy shows, simply old fashioned crowd pleasers.

When I have a lapse of history memory, I find an evening of 'Life of Brian' 'Meaning of Life' and Star dust Memories' refreshes the air waves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb-zwPG3dl4

As for Q9 I suggest the writers of Citizen Khan revisit the 'Master'.

AP Scene