Citizen Khan - Series 1 Page 5

Quote: Punk Anarcho @ August 30 2012, 4:00 PM BST

So everyone's agreed that Citizen Khan is better than the BBC's Friday night offering of Miranda... Indeed considerably better than the thing with Lee Mack in it.

No, and no.

But it's not quite up to 'Are You Being Served?' standard yet... But hey these things take time to develop.

:D

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 30 2012, 12:47 PM BST

There's nothing wrong with a 1970s sitcom...from the 1970s. We're forty years on, comedy tastes have changed and the world is a very different place.

Yours may have. But On The Buses and Dad's Army repeats still get far, far bigger audiences than the Peep Shows and Thick Of Its of this world can even dream of.

Really even though they're on channels like ITV3?

Quote: Aaron @ August 30 2012, 4:13 PM BST

Yours may have. But On The Buses and Dad's Army repeats still get far, far bigger audiences than the Peep Shows and Thick Of Its of this world can even dream of.

But maybe because a lot of people love these shows for sentimental reasons. But do we have to have new shows that ape the classics?

Don't get me wrong...I'm the first one to switch on the telly for these oldies.

An aging population that can't grasp video on demand / internet streaming is a skewed audience figure.

But as most programming seems to be aimed at elderly women 'ooh, when is the nice man going to come on cook? ooh, when is the nice man going to come on sing? ooh, when is the nice lady going to give us a bit of a dance'...I'm not surprised that programming from yesteryear is a hit with the over 60s.

But it's not quite up to 'Are You Being Served?' standard yet

'Are You Being Served?' - watch out, that might be to anarchic and punk for me. ;)

Hmm I find it harder to spot when Renegade is winding people up when I'm agreeing with him.

I suspect this makes me a hypocrite.

Which is the same old problem we seem to have had in British comedy for at least fifteen years or so. We've lost the knack of making quality mainstream sitcoms that are intelligent but accessible.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 30 2012, 4:32 PM BST

An aging population that can't grasp video on demand / internet streaming is a skewed audience figure.

Alright then. My Family, Citizen Khan itself, Miranda, Not Going Out, The Royal Bodyguard. All rate in the millions. All of the comedy you like to make out that no one likes anymore.

Quote: chipolata @ August 30 2012, 4:34 PM BST

Which is the same old problem we seem to have had in British comedy for at least fifteen years or so. We've lost the knack of making quality mainstream sitcoms that are intelligent but accessible.

Largely agreed, yes.

Quote: sootyj @ August 30 2012, 4:17 PM BST

Really even though they're on channels like ITV3?

The OTB films rate very well, yes. Dad's Army on BBC Two is regularly the channel's most-watched programme of the day.

Well Dad's Army is one of the best things on telly ever and it's on BBC2.

Not really a fair comparison.

Besides Peep Show et al are products of post digital atomised viewing figures.

They never really got the chance to build the same viewing base.

Quote: Aaron @ August 30 2012, 4:38 PM BST

Alright then. My Family, Citizen Khan itself, Miranda, Not Going Out, The Royal Bodyguard. All rate in the millions. All of the comedy you like to make out that no one likes anymore.

Now this is as ever an interesting point. Should TV be just about popularity, should a high viewing figure justify preference?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 30 2012, 4:32 PM BST

A

'Are You Being Served?' - watch out, that might be to anarchic and punk for me. ;)

Feed the puss and it will come?

APS

Quote: sootyj @ August 30 2012, 4:45 PM BST

Now this is as ever an interesting point. Should TV be just about popularity, should a high viewing figure justify preference?

50 Shades of Grey is outselling Shakespeare - so therefore, it is betterer.

Have you ever tried masturbating to shakespeare?

(Though shakespeares sisters ok)

Quote: sootyj @ August 30 2012, 4:58 PM BST

Have you ever tried masturbating to shakespeare?

(Though shakespeares sisters ok)

Shaking your spear to Shakespeare?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlAbeI-Vst8

The roll of the BBC has been strongly criticised since 1993. They would do well to heed the words of one of its greatest visionaries, Denis Potter - link supplied.

AP Scene