Citizen Khan - Series 1 Page 9

It's totally growing on me.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 3 2012, 11:24 PM BST

It will do them good to try and grow a sense of humour, no I'm not trying to be patronising, I mean it. It's arguably the greatest element in any advanced civilisation, it freed the Christians from the tyranny of hell and damnation theology

And you don't think that that's exactly why the religious zealots are complaining so bitterly?

I see a real need for a Pakistani sitcom, whether the Muslims want it or not, it's high time they were asked to laugh at themselves..

Shame that the actors aren't pakistanis, then. There's one (tenuous) UK muslim, plus three hindus...

..plus, it's very not funny, imo.

It is precisely that reason, that's why it must be shown. Show the good that comes from laughing and feeling good instead of the fear of doing wrong and you will isolate the zealots and hopefully free a large number of people from their grip. That's why they fear it, they know humour and integration always frees a subdued people. Partly why they hate and fear the West. So show it, and prove it does people good, not harm, and scupper the zealots.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 3 2012, 11:47 PM BST

It is precisely that reason, that's why it must be shown. Show the good that comes from laughing and feeling good instead of the fear of doing wrong and you will isolate the zealots and hopefully free a large number of people from their grip.

I'd agree somewhat if it were Pakistanis ripping the piss out of themselves - but it ain't. Plus - it really isn't funny, imo. It's really piss-poor.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 3 2012, 11:47 PM BST

..scupper the zealots.

Such a pathetic attempt at a TV sitcom is going to do nothing to "scupper zealots" who are prepared to die for their beliefs. Dream on..

But to us the viewers they are a supposedly typical Pakistini family. The fact they couldn't actually cast real female Muslims reinforces the stuff about the negative hold Islam has over their women. They daren't step out of place. :(

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 4 2012, 12:06 AM BST

The fact they couldn't actually cast real female Muslims..

..but the average viewer isn't aware of that fact.. and you only know because I posted it.

People who are aware of the horrendous way that fundamentalist Islam treats women are already aware of that fact, without ever seeing or knowing about this terrible charade of a "comedy".

I see a real need for a Pakistani sitcom, whether the Muslims want it or not, it's high time they were asked to laugh at themselves in the same way every other culture in Britain does.

If there's one thing that the reactions to Citizen Khan and that Channel 4 documentary about Islam have proved, it's that Muslims are a bunch of humourless, whinging bastards and therefore just as British as the rest of us.

Well I suspected it to be fair, the women I mean.

I don't think the fact many find it unfunny matters so much tbh. That some find it funny and enjoy it is far more important, before this they had nothing. Hopefully the next ones will make more people laugh, but a start was what was very much needed. imo.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ September 4 2012, 12:28 AM BST

If there's one thing that the reactions to Citizen Khan and that Channel 4 documentary about Islam have proved, it's that Muslims are a bunch of humourless, whinging bastards and therefore just as British as the rest of us.

:D

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ September 4 2012, 12:28 AM BST

If there's one thing that the reactions to Citizen Khan and that Channel 4 documentary about Islam have proved, it's that Muslims are a bunch of humourless, whinging bastards..

I would say that your reply is representative of the general UK ignorance of Islam: Islam consists of many different sects and sub-sects which are all abhorred and vilified by the so-called "fundamentalists". In my time I have known an extended number of Ismaeli muslims who, without exception, all loved Michael Bates, Benny Hill and Dick Emery. To dismiss all muslims as "humourless" is fatuous, to say the least.. or should that be "fatwauous". Blimey.. that was nearly a joke.. a bit like the sitcom in question. Or not..

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ September 4 2012, 12:03 AM BST

it really isn't funny, imo. It's really piss-poor.

I've heard that.
And I doubt I'll disagree if I do ever watch it.

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ September 4 2012, 12:40 AM BST

To dismiss all muslims as "humourless" is fatuous, to say the least..

Oh no! And I was trying to make a serious point!