Why is Michael McIntyre so popular? Page 10

Quote: Tony Cowards @ June 23 2012, 12:30 AM BST

the only way around it is scrap your TV, don't pay your licence, don't pay a Sky subscription, never buy anything that is advertised on TV and, bingo, you are no longer funding anything which is broadcast which doesn't meet your approval.

That's like letting the terrorists win.

Quote: zooo @ June 23 2012, 12:32 AM BST

But if he doesn't have a TV, he'll have to start reading books. :(

Starting with Mein Kampf, Being Jordan and the Koran. Books are great.

I think because of his broad topics and relatable material, with very limited swearing which also helps appeal to more people.

To me, he seems to be very casual comedy, for people who aren't particularly into comedy, but want a laugh. Rather bland, I find him.

Michael McIntyre's appeal is obvious... he's posh=twit and tells family oriented gags!!!

The ones I can't understand are Russell Howard and Daniel Sloss...

Howard's whole set is reading newspaper headlines with a different inflection, and his nan...

Sloss' whole set is based on him not being 25!!!

Don't get it...

Daffy Duck picture, you're just arguing for the sake of arguing, like a child that refuses to go to bed.

If you genuinely, after ten pages - with your heightened intellect and arsenal of quips - still, truly don't understand, I'll break it down for you.

1.) Great, legendary and original comedy
is usually based upon a crippling honesty
of the topics covered.

2.) Crippling honesty isn't the purpose of television.

3.) Now is the best time ever to seek out and discover old
and new great comics because we have a thing called "Internet"
and using "Internet" to look up whatever comedy from your reimagined
youth you're into, and once you hook a big screen and speaker it's
cheaper and an infinite times better thing than TV.

One of the consistent themes in lots of 'dangerous' 'edgy' 'intelligent' comedy is utter f'cking disgust toward couch-slobs waiting to have their culture pre-selcted for them and beamed in a post-watershed timeslot, as oppose to thinking for themselves and seeking new inspirations and works for themselves.

Whingeing about the bbc like some f'cking The Times Dear Sir letters-page bore who won't stop prattling on about his latest false-contrarian opinion because nobody present has the heart to say Shut The F'ck Up!

McIntyre bashing is some pretty out-there radical-concept, bold and ballsy pedestals you're chopping down there. Original thinking, you should funnel that insight into an act of your own.

There, solved your problem.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 23 2012, 12:21 PM BST

Books are great.

Correct! They really can be. And crap too.

Quote: Fi Muretta @ June 26 2012, 12:48 AM BST

To me, he seems to be very casual comedy, for people who aren't particularly into comedy, but want a laugh. Rather bland, I find him.

Renegade Partridge: ^ This is how you sneer at lots of people at once without the need for all the waffle. Look and learn.

I dunno, funny's funny.

McIntyre's unthreatening style is no diferent to Bobby Davro or Bob Monkhouse, except I think he does it poorly and isn't very funny.

Not all comedy has to be confrontational, and an angry loud mouth swearing about politics can be remarkably dull.

Quote: sootyj @ June 26 2012, 9:30 AM BST

Except I think he does it poorly and isnt very funny

What surprised me about part of one show I'd seen, is that the audience didn't find it that funny, either. They put up with fairly long gag-free sections, and often had a preference for applauding over laughing.

Quote: JackDaniels2 @ June 26 2012, 1:44 AM BST

Whingeing about the bbc like some f'cking The Times Dear Sir letters-page bore who won't stop prattling on about his latest false-contrarian opinion because nobody present has the heart to say Shut The F'ck Up!

Nice use of the misdirected rage and profanities in your post JD2. I am a bit confused, are you complaining that I am complaining? Or are you angry that you were forced at gun point to read 10 pages of a Michael McIntrye thread? Or are you angrier still that I accused Michael McIntrye fans of being nothing more then mindless, undemanding, consumers without the ability to critically appraise comedy?

I complain because I have to complain, not because I want to. Michael McIntyre is a product, a packet of Daz with floppy hair, a Beko fridge with a cheeky grin, a Tom-Tom with a gag writer. He is popular because he fits the lifestyle and philosophy of today's culture.

So ride your bike to work, download Coldplay to your iPod, enjoy your M&S ready meal and then catch some Michael McIntyre on the telly before putting out the recycling. It's a beautifully idyllic situation that requires little thought and even less mental effort.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 26 2012, 12:18 PM BST

So ride your bike to work, download Coldplay to your iPod, enjoy your M&S ready meal and then catch some Michael McIntyre on the telly before putting out the recycling. It's a beautifully idyllic situation that requires little thought and even less mental effort.

I like how you think riding a bike or recycling are a negative thing! Laughing out loud

I find it interesting RC that you have a prejudice against people who like McIntyre, you lump them all together and stereotype them in a way that the mainstream comedians of the 70s did for immigrants or Irish people.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ June 26 2012, 12:30 PM BST

I find it interesting RC that you have a prejudice against people who like McIntyre, you lump them all together and stereotype them in a way that the mainstream comedians of the 70s did for immigrants or Irish people.

Yep, I have a definitive view of the typical McIntyre fan. A lower middle class office worker stuck in a boring and repetitive middle management career who commutes by train from his suburban home.

The kind of person who rushes home on a Friday night instead of going out for a drink with colleagues on the off chance that the wife will be in the mood tonight, but she never is, so he ends up having a secretive toilet wank over the work experience girl on the second floor.

Someone who likes routine, familiarity and being part of the crowd. Someone who's opinion is given to them and any dissention is frowned upon. Someone who truly believes that conformity equals happiness and just bumps along in life waiting for retirement and eventual death.

The only bright spot in their otherwise useless and miserable lives is watching X Factor, running their Sport Relief Mile and going to London to see Michael McIntyre at the O2 Arena. They then wait anxiously for it to come out on DVD and rush out to buy it because 'they were sure the cameraman filmed them' at one point.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 26 2012, 12:27 PM BST

I like how you think riding a bike or recycling are a negative thing! Laughing out loud

They are neither positive or negative, they just are. Twenty years ago, this was not the mainstream, now it is. Why? You tell me.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 26 2012, 12:46 PM BST

Yep, I have a definitive view of the typical McIntyre fan. A lower middle class office worker stuck in a boring and repetitive middle management career who commutes by train from his suburban home.

That's ridiculous stereotyping. There are people from all walks of life dumb enough to like McIntyre.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 26 2012, 12:46 PM BST

They are neither positive or negative, they just are. Twenty years ago, this was not the mainstream, now it is. Why? You tell me.

Seems to me that if more and more people did those things, that would be a positive, don't you think? And what's wrong if these things do/have become 'mainstream'? Apart from nothing..? ;)