Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow - Series 2 Page 13

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 25 2010, 10:34 AM BST

It is indeed.

Why? Millions buy it and enjoy it. Who is anyone to say that millions of people are getting enjoyment from something they shouldn't?

Commercially, it's very short sighted to discount anything so popular.

Hitler spotted a prety big hole in the market.

Reductio ad Hitlerum

I was doing an irony.

Quote: Mr Lewis @ October 25 2010, 10:18 AM BST

The Sun is a brilliant paper for its target audience. It doesn't want to be the Guardian, nor do its readers.

OK, at last we agree. Michael McIntyre is to comedy what The Sun is to news.

Quote: Nogget @ October 27 2010, 7:07 AM BST

OK, at last we agree. Michael McIntyre is to comedy what The Sun is to news.

Almost. MM is to comedy what the Sun is to tabloid newspapers.

The problem with your sentence is that it carries a suggestion that the Sun doesn't excel at "news".... which is not its aim. It's like saying "what Girls Aloud are to singing" as opposed to "...are to entertainment"

MM is an excellent comic.
The Sun is an excellent tabloid.

The lazy defence is to call the attitude you show "snobbish" but it's not....because it's not about what you like - it's about understanding. I hate the Sun, football, Spice Girls, X Factor and Peter Kay. But I'd be very naive to declare any of the "bad" when they are so well received by others.

Quote: Mr Lewis @ October 25 2010, 11:00 AM BST

Why? Millions buy it and enjoy it. Who is anyone to say that millions of people are getting enjoyment from something they shouldn't?

Commercially, it's very short sighted to discount anything so popular.

That's basically saying no one can have an opinion on anything, because others would disagree as they happen to like the thing you don't like. I don't like The Sun newspaper, I think it's toss, many others happen to like it, good for them, that's not going to change my opinion of it. I'm sure it's doing exactly what it wants to do well and caters to the needs of many people.

Yes...but I am talking to (I assume) people within the comedy industry. If you're a punter, like what you like...hate what you don't....but there does appear to be a "missing the point" element exhibited by many people on the inside.

I'm usually quick to hate, but I don't have a problem with McIntyre. I don't think he's a brilliant stand up, but he has his moments. I guess the biggest problem is that he always looks supremely self-satisfied with himself.

I should say that I wasn't saying I hated McIntyre, but The Sun newspaper.

Quote: Mr Lewis @ October 27 2010, 12:11 PM BST

I'd be very naive to declare any of the "bad" when they are so well received by others.

But you are happy to declare them 'good'? To me, 'good' is an objective terms, but from your recent posts, it seems that all you are claiming is that a lot of people like him, so he is subjectively good, to those people. I agree, a lot of people do like him.

That doesn't make him objectively good.

Quote: Mr Lewis @ October 25 2010, 11:00 AM BST

Who is anyone to say that millions of people are getting enjoyment from something they shouldn't?

Millions of people are smack addicts, does that make heroin good?

So what did people make of his Christmas Special?

Personally, didn't really see the need for The Pogues singalong with the crowd to make the final edit, would have been better off giving that extra time to the comedy. A national disgrace that Jack Dee and Sean Lock only got that amount of time in the broadcast...!

I watched it and It made me squirm. What the hell is going on with the world today. I mean, a comedian of Lock's quality, does he need to jump on the McIntyre light ent gravy stain? And Mitchell, and Dee, though he has become more mainstream.
The Pogues singalong, Miranda and Smithy, all McIntyre's set, just seemed like the Royal Variety Performance. It made me quite sick.

There is a big problem at the minute, and it's that everyone has got lazy and they've got complacent. It is happening in all forms of TV, film, radio and music. The punk kids have grown up, had families and become dull. BUT, they don't think they are, they think they are still cutting edge, still dangerous, but they aren't.

Something needs to come along to stir it all up, if that is possible these days. God, it felt like the mid 1970s watching that.

Quote: alienep @ December 26 2011, 11:41 PM GMT

Something needs to come along to stir it all up, if that is possible these days. God, it felt like the mid 1970s watching that.

Think that may have been the point, it was intended to feel like an old fashioned comedy show in some ways.

Didn't see a problem with it, laughed at the Fairytale of New York sing along, laughed at Gino D'Acampo and Sean Lock. Not so much at Corden and David Mitchell though.

On the Christmas special the only bits I really laughed at were Jack Dee and Michael McIntyre's stand up. Was especially disappointed with Sean Lock who seems to be going backwards at the moment rather than getting better.