Radio Rejects-writing opportunity Page 21

Thank you again to all the super talented writers!And thank you for your lovely comments about the Radio Rejects team. It was a very good night indeed. The Real MacGuffins were a hard act to follow. Just a note- we had no idea they wouldn't start till 7.30! The bar was very slow apparently. Which is why we started RR half an hour late. We perhaps should have had a shorter RR show considering the MacGuffins were over an hour, but there were so many good sketches we wanted to do, and we were there first! I am glad you all enjoyed them though. Please do support them in Edinburgh and also Zeus' Pamphlet which is Frank Horrock's group.

So...now for October. We will be back, but with a new format. We are going to do half an hour or so of radio sketches and then half an hour of a radio sitcom. So if you have a sitcom up your sleeve, please send one, but only one unless if we specify. It can be fifteen minutes to half an hour. It doesn't have to suit a cast of four as we will get in other actors as needed. As
usual send scripts to lydia.parker27@gmail.com and maureen@oakeley.freeserve.co.uk.

We think this new format will benefit everyone. But if you are the writer selected for that month we will need your help in getting an audience in! Yes, invite everyone you know. We will of course invite all the radio producers as well as all our friends and contacts. It was a full house last night and we need that every month or we can't keep it running. The Albany is an expensive venue to rent and we make NO MONEY from this at all. I put that in capital letters to emphasize it.

I will let you know the new dates at the Albany when I have them. I am juggling this with another directing commitment so can't do the first Wednesday of the month.

I'm so pleased this has all taken off and I'll go now. Bye!

And a well done (and thanks) to Lydia and Mo for arranging all this. It's a very professional production and a full house helped the atmosphere considerably.

Dan

Here's my Mafia Diversification sketch from last week.

Might have to turn it up as Dan March's Marlon Brando is a little too Marlon Brando.

Cheers to Marc for the recording.

Dan

Here's my movie hero sketch, very kindly sent to me by Afinkawan http://www.afinkawan.co.uk/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/moviehero.mp3

my sketch from July show. Huge thanks to Marc for recording it

http://www.afinkawan.co.uk/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/kingsspeech2.mp3

I really liked the concept of the movie hero sketch - very good

Hi Guys,
Just a reminder we're changing the format of Radio Rejects slightly for the Autumn: Along with radio sketches, we're going to be doing a radio sitcom every month, possibly two if they are short. So please start sending in your scripts to lydia.parker27@gmail.com AND maureen@oakeley.freeserve.com. Looking forward to reading all your masterpieces! But please just send one unless if we ask for more. It does not have to be a reject but it should be suitable for a radio style reading. Thanks!

Hi Guys,
Just a reminder we're changing the format of Radio Rejects slightly for the Autumn: Along with radio sketches, we're going to be doing a radio sitcom every month, possibly two if they are short. So please start sending in your scripts to lydia.parker27@gmail.com AND maureen@oakeley.freeserve.com. Looking forward to reading all your masterpieces! But please just send one unless if we ask for more. It does not have to be a reject but it should be suitable for a radio style reading. Thanks!

Really must get round to finishing my sitcom script...

Just one sitcom, or just one sketch, or just one sitcom or sketch?

Sorry for not replying sooner!Just one sitcom please and three sample sketches unless if we know your work already and ask for more.

We have chosen a sitcom for October, "Paul Hinton, Lord of All the Beasts" by Dale Shaw. It's a hilarious take on Dr Doolittle. Except he's not a doctor. We are still looking for sketches for the October show so please send us what you've got, even if it's not technically a reject. We realise Newsjack hasn't started yet! Anyway, we want to make a big deal of the new format, we're inviting lots of people including the Radio 4 producers and I hope you'll all come join us. It's a good night out, you can hear your work performed before an appreciative audience and a it's nice way to meet your fellow writers. The next show is Tuesday 4 October at 8PM at The Albany,Great Portland Street.

Send sketches and sitcoms please to lydia.parker27@gmail.com and maureen@oakeley.freeserve.co.uk

Thanks!

I can't make the 4th October unfortunately as I'll be away on a training course.

I can try to arrange to meet up with someone for a quick pint and a lend of my digital recorder?

Are you still calling it Radio Rejects or are you changing the name?

If so, my suggestion is John Finnemore's Ignoring All My Suggestions.

Training course rescheduled - so I can probably make it to the October show after all!

Anybody else going?

I'm not going, but I'm hoping to send some stuff in. when is the deadline for the October show?

The deadline for sketches is 24 September so get them in now! We're getting in some great new stuff already so keep it coming!