Newsjack - Series 4 Page 64

Quote: Failed Comedy Writer @ June 5 2011, 9:31 AM BST

I've not been paid for something broadcast in series 3 yet. But I'm quite cool with this and have no intention of chasing them.

In 10-20 years time when I've finally broken the glass ceiling I shall enjoy the anecdote of how the BBC still owes me money for my first ever writing credit.

Fair play to you, I'd be like this:

Quote: Badge @ May 11 2011, 12:28 AM BST

I got the impression it would be June/July but I have no evidence for that. August seems unlikely as they'll all be in Scotland somewhere.

It seems unlikely now it will be on before September, given the Fringe lasts a whole month, and Newsjack has a six week run.

Watson's Wind-up used a one-liner of mine in December 2009 and I never got a penny, cool. Last year Radio Wales' What's The Story used three gags and paid well (£25 each) and well promptly too. Lottery, I guess.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ June 27 2011, 9:23 AM BST

Watson's Wind-up used a one-liner of mine in December 2009 and I never got a penny, cool. Last year Radio Wales' What's The Story used three gags and paid well (£25 each) and well promptly too. Lottery, I guess.

I always got paid regulary for Watson's Wind-Up.
Go to the Comedy Unit site and email them. They're a friendly bunch.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ June 27 2011, 5:23 PM BST

I always got paid regulary for Watson's Wind-Up.
Go to the Comedy Unit site and email them. They're a friendly bunch.

Cheers mate, will do.

any news on the start date of the next series?

Quote: blahblah @ July 6 2011, 5:36 PM BST

any news on the start date of the next series?

Quote: Tim Azure @ June 27 2011, 9:14 AM BST

It seems unlikely now it will be on before September, given the Fringe lasts a whole month, and Newsjack has a six week run.

Further to this my view is that it will only return in the new year-after all Radio 4 Extra has created new shows. And it may not even return at all...

Whatever the case, I'm beginning to think June's unlikely.

D'oh! Always had greater success in the summer series.

Although how can you write something more ridiculous than the current News Corp story.

Especially given the main one-liner bit is currently in the form of voicemails :D

I literally just said something along these lines on twitter. The news is such a goldmine for Newsjack material right now.

I think the opposite. It's Michael Jackson all over again - one main story and little else. Worse, the big story develops by the hour never mind the day. It would be a difficult job to produce Newsjack right now.

Quote: Badge @ July 12 2011, 9:25 PM BST

I think the opposite. It's Michael Jackson all over again - one main story and little else. Worse, the big story develops by the hour never mind the day. It would be a difficult job to produce Newsjack right now.

True, but it's still better than the Japanese earthquake/Tsunami/nuclear reactors, which was THE major news story at the time of the final episode of the last series!

'Keep an eye out for radio shows asking for open-door submissions - things like Radio 4 Extra's Newsjack, which returns in the Autumn.'

From...

http://thehumourdor.co.uk/post/7686525510/an-interview-with-dan-tetsell

Quote: Badge @ July 12 2011, 9:25 PM BST

I don't remember other satirical shows working like this-certainly not Spitting Image or Weekending. Certainly sketches should be judged on their comedic value-a funny topical sketch should be judged better than an unfunny one. Having said that, if you really want up-to-date topical stuff that very day you're going to it, because people submit all the time. That may be going too far. Even so-called topical shows on TV such as Mock the Week aren't particularly topical-it missed the Murdoch story.

I'd listen to a Murdoch filled edition, maybe you would too, but I don't think the NJ people want to have that sort of show.

Actually, on reflection I think I'd get bored by it. They have it right, especially given the remit of encouraging new writers. Variety is important.