Is Jim Davidson legendary? Page 5

Agreed.

Quote: Mr Krinkle @ April 4 2011, 12:27 PM BST

I agree on the issue of context and who is delivering the joke. But if you were to take any of those jokes out of context, at face value- there is nothing to separate them. For example, if you read a quote from Nick Griffin saying that if there had been black in Germany in the 1930s the Jews wouldn't have been a problem... I think there has to be a degree of understanding between comic and audience that they don't actually mean what they are saying, or that there is another layer. I think this is what Jim Davidson lacks- any sort of depth of meaning.

I was reffering to the jokes quoted in the previous post.

And Nick Griffin has been a witty and sharp speaker in the past.

And many truly brilliant comics mean exactly what they say.

Quote: sootyj @ April 4 2011, 2:02 PM BST

I was reffering to the jokes quoted in the previous post.

And many truly brilliant comics mean exactly what they say.

For sure. A comic can say "I hate it when people listen to loud music on the tube" and they can mean it. When they tell a joke which targets someone based on ethnicity, gender or a disability etc, it has to be said with a degree of irony, otherwise it just becomes someone airing their prejudices. I'm sure some people could tell a racist joke, mean it and get a laugh, but that's not for me.

And I'm sure Nick Griffin may have once been a witty and sharp speaker, but neither the wit nor the content of his speeches are for me.

Quote: sootyj @ April 4 2011, 2:02 PM BST

I highly doubt that!

Oh he has.

EDL showed a malign genius recently.

They covered Stepney in homophobic stickers from a pretend Islamic organisation. And then helped create a counter demonstration by gay groups which they infiltrated.

He's probably a legend to BNP followers, although having said that I didn't think he was too bad in the Generation Game. He should have stuck to light entertainment. At least he dabbled in light entertainment, which is more than Bernard Manning or Roy 'Chubby' Browm ever managed - unless you count Brown's appearances in League Of Gentlemen or on Top Of The Pops. Remember hearing a Jim Davidson single recorded when he was known as 'Nick Nick' for the amount of times he got in trouble with the police. Thought it was quite funny.

Not a fan. I was vaguely annoyed by the amount of free press his recent play about a racist old comedian received - yep he is a racist old comedian himself, it's not that clever a device. Then I was quite chuffed when despite all of that he ended up having to cancel for lack of ticket sales.

Quote: sootyj @ April 3 2011, 6:21 AM BST

3 Jim Davidson thinks black people talk funny so he does a silly impression of one.

Is it so hard to spot why 3 is different? There are no solid rules in comedy. The individual comic should be expected to use their own judgement.

Except, well, that's not really his act. Certainly not any longer. I've watched a few of his stand-up shows from the past decade and have only ever seen the Chalky character on comedy clip shows.

Quote: sootyj @ April 4 2011, 4:10 PM BST

Oh he has.

EDL showed a malign genius recently.

They covered Stepney in homophobic stickers from a pretend Islamic organisation. And then helped create a counter demonstration by gay groups which they infiltrated.

... Which has neither anything to do with the BNP, nor Nick Griffin, nor this discussion!

Quote: Aaron @ April 9 2011, 7:13 PM BST

... Which has neither anything to do with the BNP, nor Nick Griffin, nor this discussion!

I don't know... "Nick Nick"?

Quote: Aaron @ April 9 2011, 7:13 PM BST

Except, well, that's not really his act. Certainly not any longer. I've watched a few of his stand-up shows from the past decade and have only ever seen the Chalky character on comedy clip shows.

I was comparing his material to "racist" stuff used by other comics that were mentioned in another post.

Do please enlighten me with a link if the red faced wife puncher has written anything incisive or brilliant material on race.

I see the nationwide tour of his semi-serious stage play has been cancelled after just a couple of gigs. Oh well, back to the lovely racist misogynist banter it is then.

To the narrow minded Jim Davidson is funny. This type of comedy would not see the light of day in this day and age. Lots of kids grew up with a complex due to this guy. Picture the 5 year old black child in the playground being cussed by a group of white kids chanting Jim Davidson jokes. The black child then goes on to blame God for making him less than others. Jim Davidson & Ron Atkinson all come from the same tree of thought. And as a consequence their craft ultimately suffers as a result.

He hasn't done his Chalky stuff for years and he is not the worst offender for that sort of material. But he does come across as some old school cap-doffing working class Tory, who wouldn't ever tell disrespectful jokes about her Majesty or 'our brave boys.'

As a big player in forces entertainment and charities, I would imagine that to be accurate, yes.

Quote: Kanavan @ March 28 2011, 10:55 PM BST

Why should he use a pseudonym? His name alone should be enough to put bums on seats!

After getting blacklisted by Radio 1, Cliff Richard scored another hit under a different name and so did Lenny Henry when he submitted 'Chef', so maybe JD should have gone down the pseudonym route after all.