Comedy.co.uk Awards 2010 Page 7

Quote: EllieJP @ January 14 2011, 7:12 PM GMT

Do we get to know how many people voted?

Mark and I decided a few years ago that saying how many votes are received could be rather misleading in some cases, as people can of course skip categories they're not interested in. However, I think it's safe and fair to say that people voted in their thousands, and that we're certainly not disappointed by the figures.

Worst British TV Panel Show 2010, Celebrity Juice? You f**kers, I bet you haven't even watched it. :P

Celebrity Juice is bang tidy.

Exactly! And to say Richard Bacon's Beer & Pizza Club was better is astounding. I think CJ was one of my two choices for 'best'. I repeat, you f**kers.

The Comedy.co.uk Awards have mentioned on the site that must not be named.

Beyond 'Coming Of Age' being voted 'Worst Sitcom in Human History' (that was the category, right?) I don't much care about the results. Yes, many of them are obviously wrong, but what's new?

On a technical point, whatever one thought of the show, I don't think that Simon Bird had to be "persuaded" to host 'The King Is Dead', as it was his and Nick Mohammed's brainchild.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ January 14 2011, 6:23 PM GMT

Who wrote the descriptions for the results page?

Well it was Aaron, obviously! You'll notice how the results are grudgingly announced, before the author goes on to point out all the reasons us voters are fools. Democracy just doesn't work, does it? :D

Quote: Nil Putters @ January 14 2011, 9:45 PM GMT

Exactly! And to say Richard Bacon's Beer & Pizza Club was better is astounding. I think CJ was one of my two choices for 'best'. I repeat, you f**kers.

I like the idea of there being a 'worst of' category, it's important to mark out the real stinkers but I'm not sure if it gives an accurate picture of viewers' opinions overall. For example, Celebrity Juice is far funnier, imo, than RB's B&PC but I doubt that many had bothered watching the latter, and so its general awfulness and unfunniness would have been missed. I suspect the ebullient CJ garnered far more positive votes despite getting more 'worst of' votes. The voting system is therefore flawed, but they usually are.

Talking of panel shows, for me, 2010 was a year too far for the comedy panel show! Didn't see a good new one and now we are up to our necks in them. Come on, TV companies, haven't you mined this genre to death and beyond?

Quote: Nil Putters @ January 14 2011, 9:45 PM GMT

Exactly! And to say Richard Bacon's Beer & Pizza Club was better is astounding.

Yeah, but how many people watched that? You can't say it's worse if you haven't even seen it! I mean, who would even read that show's title and think, 'Ooh, make a note of that one, don't wann'a miss me some Bacon.'

Quote: Tim Walker @ January 15 2011, 10:51 AM GMT

On a technical point, whatever one thought of the show, I don't think that Simon Bird had to be "persuaded" to host 'The King Is Dead', as it was his and Nick Mohammed's brainchild.

The word 'persuaded' isn't actually used. Nevertheless, I see that the copy for that award has been bastardised and misrepresents The King Is Dead, so will be change.

And yes, it's a real pity that things get voted 'worst' purely on their reputation. I can comfortably predict a number of next year's results accordingly.

:D

Let's just say it's an instinct I have! For example, the kind of people who vote for The Trip as the best new sitcom, don't strike me as the same demographic who would even try watching a single episode of Coming Of Age, in order to vote it 'worst'. Would you disagree with that analysis?

(Of course people can skip categories so they're not necessarily voting for both, etc etc, but you get the point.)

Quote: Griff @ January 15 2011, 2:17 PM GMT

Mind you (in my opinion) you don't have to have seen much of COA to decide you don't like it. I stuck out a whole episode but I think five minutes would have been sufficient to win that all-important 'Worst' endorsement.

I don't know... would you be comfortable voting something in the 'best' category if you'd only seen 5 minutes?

Quote: Griff @ January 15 2011, 2:29 PM GMT

But I would think after 10 minutes of a sitcom you've seen everything you need to - the performances, the jokes, the style etc - and you know that in the next 20 minutes Coming Of Age is never going to turn into The Thick Of It and vice-versa.

To be fair, Coming Of Age has changed a LOT since Series 1. The new series is far less crude, for example. No, it's still not The Thick Of It, but anyone voting for it 'worst' in 12 months based on what they saw of even Series 2, will be doing so very unfairly.

Anyway, I've talked about that in greater detail elsewhere.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 15 2011, 12:25 PM GMT

Yeah, but how many people watched that? You can't say it's worse if you haven't even seen it!

Well, I did, and it was awful.