Comedy.co.uk Awards 2010 Page 4

THAT DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE!

Quote: Nat Wicks @ January 5 2011, 7:14 PM GMT

Would have been nice to see a separate 'one off' category for specials and pilots.

Good idea! :)

I'm full of 'em.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ January 5 2011, 8:20 PM GMT

When does voting close?

Tuesday. The winners will be announced Friday 14th.

Quote: Tim Walker @ January 5 2011, 6:28 PM GMT

Who's running this debacle? Unimpressed

I am. If this was public sector I'd have received multiple bonuses for my incompetence by now :)

Quote: Tim Walker @ January 5 2011, 6:28 PM GMT

Why isn't Roger & Val Have Just Got In on the list for best new sitcom? Why? It's a sitcom.

It's a complicated one; started sitcom... ended comedy drama (the makers confirm this), so we just had to make a choice for the awards. I went for Comedy Drama as that's what most people will remember it as.

Quote: Tim Walker @ January 5 2011, 6:30 PM GMT

And to echo Chip, WTF are broadcast pilots doing in the 'Best New Sitcom' category?

The ethos of the awards is to include all broadcast comedy, so they have to go somewhere. Ideally they would have gone in their own category... but we don't want to test people's patience voting - there's already three more categories than last time.

Why not include non-broadcast pilots as well - one of them might have been great!?

We clearly can't ask people to judge things they've not seen :)

One episode of a sitcom, however good it is, is not enough to make a show a potential award winner.

Some people named Lizzie & Sarah as one of the highlights of 2010 in another thread.

And I see The Persuasionists (which had a non-broadcast pilot, God-knows-when) is on the list for 'Best Returning Sitcom'

This is admittedly a complicated one as it was piloted a long time ago (late-night BBC3, March 2007)... but we have to stick to the format we now have (pilot is in the new category, later episodes are 'returning' comedy).

On the plus side, Come Fly With Me is rightly classed as a sketch show for the awards - pity its BCG forum thread is still residing in the 'Sitcom' section.)

Come Fly With Me actually ends up quite 'sitcom', as certain serial storylines are followed, and characters from different sketches start interacting with each other. But for now it is a sketch show, which is why it's there.

There is some logic to this madness. I know I can't win though. For example, the first year we didn't include pilots - and I got a load of emails asking why they weren't in the list!

I was a bit depressed with this year's comedy when I saw the sitcom list. I thought: is that it? So, I agree with Aaron about the comedy this year.

Mind you, I agree vehemently with Tim with regards to Roger & Val, and Getting On for that matter. Without wishing to descend into the usual is/isn't argument, I'd have thought they were clearly sitcom for the purposes of this poll.

Again for this year, I feel bad voting for a 'worst' when I haven't seen a lot of the category. Next year can there be a 'not seen/heard' option, just so the worst is put into context?

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ January 6 2011, 12:06 PM GMT

Mind you, I agree vehemently with Tim with regards to Roger & Val, and Getting On for that matter. Without wishing to descend into the usual is/isn't argument, I'd have thought they were clearly sitcom for the purposes of this poll.

The makers of Roger & Val and Getting On class their shows as Comedy Drama. It's complicated though I'll admit. We list it in 'Comedy Drama' and people ask why it's not sitcom, and visa versa.

Again for this year, I feel bad voting for a 'worst' when I haven't seen a lot of the category. Next year can there be a 'not seen/heard' option, just so the worst is put into context?

You can abstain from choosing a 'worst'. That category is mainly there so people can indicate if they particularly hated something they saw. Admittedly a terrestrial show has more chance of 'winning' than something that was much worse that resided on an obscure channel... but, either way, hopefully we can help stop at least one bad show being re-commissioned.

Again for this year, I feel bad voting for a 'worst' when I haven't seen a lot of the category.

That was my favourite bit!

Take that Amos!
Have them Apples Mangan!
Etc Etc

Quote: don rushmore @ January 2 2011, 7:14 PM GMT

Do the nominees get a prize or notification if they win, Mark?

Quote: don rushmore @ January 2 2011, 7:14 PM GMT

Do the nominees get a prize or notification if they win, Mark?

Sorry for missing that question originally Don.

In short: sadly, no, not this year. We don't even have enough money to go down the local engraving shop and buy some plastic Under 10 football runners-up cup trophies. Maybe in future years.

In future years I'd love to do a ceremony, but our awards have to fall in January for obvious reasons... which is a hectic time for comedians and ceremonies (British Comedy Awards, Chortle, Loaded Laftas, Broadcast Awards, and National TV Awards are just some of the ceremonies coming up).

Certainly all the winners are quite aware they've won though, as the industry pays close attention to the awards as obviously the Comedy.co.uk Awards are the fans voting, rather than a jury (especially the radio productions, as this is the only radio awards where the public can vote for the winners).

Last year some of the producers and stars of the winning programmes emailed in to say thanks. Just to make sure everyone knows though, I'll be emailing the agents and production companies with the good news.

Where does cheese come from?

Do unbearable circumstances create existential angst in bears?

How is down?

Where does my Rosemary go? And why would a notional emotional concept such as love know her destination?

(you know if you're in the mood for answering questions)

Thanks for your reply, Mark. :)

Quote: Mark @ January 6 2011, 12:46 PM GMT

Just to make sure everyone knows though, I'll be emailing the agents and production companies with the good news.

This includes the winners of the "worst" award, right?

Ouch.

That's nice I bet the producers of Tramadol Nightmares don't get many emails.

Quote: Timbo @ January 6 2011, 8:14 PM GMT

This includes the winners of the "worst" award, right?

It does, yes.