Comedy.co.uk Awards 2010

The voting for our annual awards is now open: https://www.comedy.co.uk/awards/2010/

2010 was certainly a busy year for comedy, with over 1,060 hours of new comedy broadcast, and looking at the nomination lists, I think it fair to say last year was clearly a good one for comedy... lots of stuff making people laugh. Although it does make it harder to pick an overall favourite!

Get stuck in and feel free to post below your thoughts on any of the shows nominated. Cheers.

Funny, I thought the opposite: quite a dull year for comedy. Plenty that was funny, but nothing really exciting in any way.

Just finished voting. There were two or three categories that made it pretty hard to choose.

I've fulfilled my democratic duty too.

It was unfortunately far too easy to pick the two best in each. Actually, it was tricky to pick two sketch shows; yet another ropey year for the form.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 2 2011, 6:23 PM GMT

It was unfortunately far too easy to pick the two best in each. Actually, it was tricky to pick two sketch shows; yet another ropey year for the form.

I agree. For the TV section the hard choice seems to be which sketch show was the worst.

I remember last year that one of things people did on the forums was list channels by the number of votes they got: 2 for a fav, 1 for a second fav, and -1 for a worst. Here is mine:

BBC One: 5 points
BBC Two: 1 point
BBC Three: 2 points
BBC Four: 4 points
ITV1: 1 point
Channel 4: 0 points
Sky1: 1 point
Radio 4: 8 points

Quote: Mark @ January 2 2011, 5:35 PM GMT

The voting for our annual awards is now open ...

Do the nominees get a prize or notification if they win, Mark?

I voted PhoneShop worst for every category I could.

Quote: Griff @ January 2 2011, 7:20 PM GMT

Amazed to discover The Thick Of It wasn't on in 2010. I'm sure it can't have been that long ago!

Well, it's not that amazing. What with the election it would be hard to know where the plot would go.

It should be pointed out that the last episode of The Thick of It was in December 2009.

Just voted. I feel bad that I missed a lot of stuff this past year.

I am a hopeless comedy fan. I had a lot of blank spaces because there were a load of shows I have just never watched :(

Quote: Griff @ January 2 2011, 7:59 PM GMT

Good point Ian. Armando Ianucci wouldn't possibly be able to think of any way of incorporating the election results into a topical political sitcom.

Given the result we had it would have been hard to do at the time. Most comedies write about havign Labour winning, the Tories winning and if they have to for impartiality reasons the Lib Dems winning. A hung parliament was a result they probably did not think of when the last series ended. I know that new series is due later in the year.

...I've only seen Mongrels out of that whole list I think.

Bloody hell I'll resign my comedy membership I think.

Quote: AndreaLynne @ January 2 2011, 8:17 PM GMT

Just voted. I feel bad that I missed a lot of stuff this past year.

Oh don't, you have the perfect excuse, I don't, and all I do is watch TV. I think it would take me all this year to watch that lot. And listen to.

I can't seem to find PhoneShop in the opening 'Best New TV Sitcom 2010' category. (This is not an ironic post.)