The Trip - Series 1 Page 30

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 7 2010, 10:32 AM GMT

That's not implausible at all; if you're asked to be the lead in an American show, you have to make that sort of commitment at the outset, even though there's obviously no way of knowing whether it'll actually get past one episode.

That's not true.

Not too mention that a shoot doesn't take all year, he'd be in America for a few months at a time.

Quote: JPM1 @ December 7 2010, 10:17 AM GMT

First, the episde had a ton of fat that could have been trimmed. These long scenes of coogan doing Brydon's eulogy, or the winner takes it all scene just dragged on for me.

I think for those of us that really liked this show, it was exactly those kind of unusual moments that made The Trip so different and enjoyable.

Quote: JPM1 @ December 7 2010, 10:36 AM GMT

That's not true.

Um, sorry, that is true, actually. You go in with the knowlege that if the show is a success, the channel would want and expect to tie you into a long term contract. This is a true fact.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 7 2010, 10:36 AM GMT

I think for those of us that really liked this show, it was exactly those kind of unusual moments that made The Trip so different and enjoyable.

That's great. I'm glad people liked it.

Quote: JPM1 @ December 7 2010, 10:39 AM GMT

That's great. I'm glad people liked it.

Okay . . ?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 7 2010, 10:38 AM GMT

Um, sorry, that is true, actually. You go in with the knowlege that if the show is a success, the channel would want and expect to tie you into a long term contract. This is a true fact.

It's not true. I have friends who've been there.

The reality is that neither of us are capable of proving this but if you'd like to try I'm open to being corrected.

Quote: JPM1 @ December 7 2010, 10:41 AM GMT

It's not true.

If you say so.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 7 2010, 10:43 AM GMT

If you say so.

Think about it - what agent would agree to tie up their star for seven years before they'd even made a pilot?

Quote: JPM1 @ December 7 2010, 10:46 AM GMT

Think about it - what agent would agree to tie up their star for seven years before they'd even made a pilot?

It's not tieing them up, it's about expectation. If an American show takes off, the show could run for years, which means long months filming in another country for, in this case, Coogan. If you're the star of the show, then you're obviously expected to be on board from the outset with the idea that, if a success, you will also be there for years. This much is obvious and something you would have to take into account.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 7 2010, 10:50 AM GMT

It's not tieing them up, it's about expectation. If an American show takes off, the show could run for years, which means long months filming in another country for, in this case, Coogan. If you're the star of the show, then you're obviously expected to be on board from the outset with the idea that, if a success, you will also be there for years. This much is obvious and something you would have to take into account.

This was the case in the mid 90s, when a friend of mine was working in the television industry in Los Angeles.

It is known as a pick-up: a contract of commitment to a show for 5 to 7 years if the pilot is bought by a network. At 24 episodes a year, split by a summer break, it would mean the majority of an actor's life being spent where the series is filmed.

Quote: sheep2 @ December 7 2010, 11:52 AM GMT

At 24 episodes a year, split by a summer break, it would mean the majority of an actor's life being spent where the series is filmed.

HBO's schedule tends to be much different than network television in the United States. Look at Eastbound and Down -- it was only 6 or 7 episodes long. Flight of the Conchords was only 11 episodes per season.

Quote: DaButt @ December 7 2010, 2:32 PM GMT

HBO's schedule tends to be much different than network television in the United States. Look at Eastbound and Down -- it was only 6 or 7 episodes long. Flight of the Conchords was only 11 episodes per season.

Sure, though even HBO series tend to be longer than what we would do over here. 11 episodes is almost two years worth of shows for us!

I wouldn't get too worked up about Coogan saying he didn't want to spend 7 years in America on a TV show. That was just the excuse he gave to his American agent in an answerphone message. I think that was partly true, but I think there were other reasons. The picture painted of Coogan by the series was of a man keen to have American success but slightly less keen to put the work in. Hence his going on a trip in the first place when he should have been in America pursuing opportunities - something his agent said to him early on in the run.

Watched the last one tonight! Top notch!! :)

Just saw the last one on iPlayer.

I don't understand why Steve was so lugubrious at the end. At first, I thought it was because he was feeling as if his life was passing him by, but then I remembered he had the HBO offer. If he was so sad by the rut he seemed to be in, he should've accepted it. I didn't seem to be close to either his son or his parents, so he had nothing to lose by going to LA.

Unless, in real life, Coogan put the refusal to go to America in to show viewers that he was getting offered US work, he just didn't want to live there, and that's why he hasn't made it big across the pond.

Quote: Marooned @ December 6 2010, 11:26 PM GMT

I thought he was going to throw himself off the balcony at the end.

The show wasn't that bad.