The Trip - Series 1 Page 25

Quote: Nat Wicks @ November 30 2010, 6:10 PM GMT

But where's the fun in enjoying something at facevalue, BF? WHERE? CAN YOU EXPLAIN EXACTLY WHERE?

Laughing out loud

Well.....

Quote: Wistyish @ November 30 2010, 6:20 PM GMT

The problem with over-analysing comedy, as I see it, is that successful comedy - successful jokes - break conventions, or burst expected paradigms - so if we can successfully pin it down, it may not be doing it's job properly. The best comedy is, perhaps, unexplainable. If we can explain why we find something funny, then on these terms, it wouldn't be funny ... ie we would have a framework, so the joke would be killed.

The joy of The Trip, for me, is it's very freeform lack of structure ... this is the very thing that makes it funny.

Hi Wisty,

There are some really interesting theorists on comedy - I'd recommend Raskin and Attardo's General Theory of Verbal Humor or a quick survey of Incongruity Theory to start...

There's actually a lot of people who do pin it down and explain it and I still think it's funny even after I know how it works. In fact, I often find the joke even more ingenious after it's been taken apart and put back together.

But, long story short, we weren't really after an explanation of why The Trip is funny (or not) we were debating whether or not it was "well-written" (A term that still needs a definition for us to have a serious conversation.)

Remember - comedy is serious business!

Quote: bigfella @ November 30 2010, 6:04 PM GMT

Why does everything have to be pulled apart and analysed?

Why can't someone just say yeah it was good or it was shit? Why is that not possible?

Hi Big,

We're all free to enjoy work in whatever way pleases us most - that's the beauty of western civilization! :)

Personally I think there's great joy in analysing works of television. It's about understanding how something works - or where something comes up short, if that's the way one sees it. Like when you were a kid and you took apart your dad's radio or looked under the bonnet of a car.

I think saying "yeah it was good" or "it was shit" is the tip of a really interesting iceberg. I think there's a lot beneath comments like that that help us to better understand the work of the artists and the minds of the audience they attract.

I just want to take The Trip and look at it's engine. Because I suspect it's a nice paint job cloaking some shoddy craftsmanship....

But that's just me. What about you - do you think it was good or shit?

I watched a couple and thought it was good but not really my "thing" but I am very pleased that a programme like it can still be made. Slow and sort of pointless. Given time to develop and run a bit...

There's a rumour going 'round that, the footage is actually real.

With Coogan and Brydon filmed on secret equipment.

It's certainly possible to have put hidden cameras in cars, restaurants and hotel rooms, without them knowing.

Quote: Wistyish @ November 30 2010, 6:20 PM GMT

The joy of The Trip, for me, is it's very freeform lack of structure ... this is the very thing that makes it funny.

But it's the most structured, formulaic sitcom ever produced in Britain! (Probably.)

Quote: JPM1 @ November 30 2010, 4:59 PM GMT

I suppose I'm obligated to challenge those that agree with me as much as those that don't...

Aaron - what makes it shitty?

Can you define "shitty" for me?

Can shitty be measured objectively?

Is The Trip shitty in the same way as any other programmes or is it shitty in a wholly original way?

;)

A wholly original way; a way I'm not sure I would have imagined possible previously!

(Shitty: tedious, not funny, predictable plot - with no payoff - and so on.)

Quote: JPM1 @ November 30 2010, 4:59 PM GMT

Thanks for that Matthew.

In a way I'm jealous of the generosity of spirit you approach the show with. Maybe I'm too cynical.

Cynical in what way?

Quote: JPM1 @ November 30 2010, 7:02 PM GMT

we were debating whether or not it was "well-written" (A term that still needs a definition for us to have a serious conversation.)

I gave you my definition.

Quote: JPM1 @ November 30 2010, 7:02 PM GMT

I just want to take The Trip and look at it's engine. Because I suspect it's a nice paint job cloaking some shoddy craftsmanship....

Laughing out loud

Well, despite sort-of saying I wasn't going to bother watching anymore, I caught episode 5 today. For me, the best episode so far. because there seemed to be some genuine humanity and humility in it. Feel free to call me a hypocrite.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 1 2010, 12:09 AM GMT

Well, despite sort-of saying I wasn't going to bother watching anymore, I caught episode 5 today. For me, the best episode so far. because there seemed to be some genuine humanity and humility in it. Feel free to call me a hypocrite.

I agree re: humanity...

Earlier I suggested that if the BBC had classified this as a drama that I would think very differently of it. Coogan's character is so sad, in a way. He seems so deeply unhappy with the way his life has worked out and so impotent to do anything about it.

Just out of curiosity - did it make you laugh?

Quote: JPM1 @ December 1 2010, 9:49 AM GMT

Just out of curiosity - did it make you laugh?

I found the bit where Coogan is trying to edge away politely from the geology bore very funny.

Quote: JPM1 @ December 1 2010, 9:49 AM GMT

Earlier I suggested that if the BBC had classified this as a drama that I would think very differently of it.

Why?
That's just bizarre.

Because it provides some of the dramatic ingredients one would expect from, well, a drama - even a comedy drama - but evidently for some of us not anywhere near the comedic elements requisite to make a comedy or sitcom.

Quote: Lazzard @ December 1 2010, 12:42 PM GMT

Why?
That's just bizarre.

Hi Lazzard.

Can you please explain why you think it's bizarre?

I contend that how things are titled and classified matters a great deal. I can understand that for some viewers it's irrelevant but for me it's as important as the choice of setting, structure, or music.

Nothing should be accidental. The makers of this work have made a series of choices and I would hope they've made them thoughtfully. One choice they made was to call it a sitcom. That choice has an impact on this audience member's expectations and viewing mindset. I expect it to conform to, or buck against, sitcom conventions and I'd argue it does neither rigourously.

Similarly, the title is also very important and should ideally reflect some thought on the part of the artists regarding the work's themes, statement, or flavour. In The Trip however, we have a title that seems to function purely superficially. Yes there are two guys on a trip but is the show about their "journey?" if it is, why has nothing changed over five episodes? Is the show about sitcom about THE defineing trip of two friends lives? Why is it THE trip and not A trip.... maybe it should be "Tripping"

I hope that helped.

Quote: JPM1 @ December 1 2010, 1:27 PM GMT

Hi Lazzard.

I contend that how things are titled and classified matters a great deal.

I suppose it comes down also to what the makers of the show, the director and stars, think of the show as. Whether they, whatever the BBC has decided to refer to it as, think of this show as a sitcom, or a type of sitcom.

Quote: JPM1 @ December 1 2010, 1:27 PM GMT

Hi Lazzard.

I contend that how things are titled and classified matters a great deal. I can understand that for some viewers it's irrelevant but for me it's as important as the choice of setting, structure, or music.

Nothing should be accidental. The makers of this work have made a series of choices and I would hope they've made them thoughtfully. One choice they made was to call it a sitcom. That choice has an impact on this audience member's expectations and viewing mindset. I expect it to conform to, or buck against, sitcom conventions and I'd argue it does neither rigourously.

Similarly, the title is also very important and should ideally reflect some thought on the part of the artists regarding the work's themes, statement, or flavour. In The Trip however, we have a title that seems to function purely superficially. Yes there are two guys on a trip but is the show about their "journey?" if it is, why has nothing changed over five episodes? Is the show about sitcom about THE defineing trip of two friends lives? Why is it THE trip and not A trip.... maybe it should be "Tripping"

I hope that helped.

Nope.

I like The Trip. I like it because it makes me smile. It makes me smile because I like it. I like it because it makes me smile. It makes me smile because I like it. I like it because it makes me smile. I could go on... But in summary I like the Trip. :)