The Trip - Series 1 Page 26

Quote: Lazzard @ December 1 2010, 1:54 PM GMT

Nope.

So much for trying to engage people in a sincere conversation.

You can't force people to converse!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 1 2010, 1:34 PM GMT

I suppose it comes down also to what the makers of the show, the director and stars, think of the show as. Whether they, whatever the BBC has decided to refer to it as, think of this show as a sitcom, or a type of sitcom.

Yeah, I searched a bit for how Coogan and Brydon refer to it but couldn't find anything helpful. Though I suppose, in a way, the BBC members of the production team are just as much part of the "makers" of this work as Winterbottom. I'd like to think that if anyone thought seriously that it was something other than a sitcom that they would have made that clear to us somehow...

Quote: JPM1 @ December 1 2010, 9:49 AM GMT

I agree re: humanity...

Earlier I suggested that if the BBC had classified this as a drama that I would think very differently of it. Coogan's character is so sad, in a way. He seems so deeply unhappy with the way his life has worked out and so impotent to do anything about it.

I couldn't agree more with this. Clearly the problem with this programme is not the writing or the performance but bad labelling.

I remember many years ago, when I was a boy, watching an episode of Fraggle Rock which had been wrongly labeled in the TV Times as a gritty, hard hitting drama documentary. I tuned in expecting swearing and violence but instead got Muppets and singing. I was both confused and annoyed.

If The Trip had been labelled as a gritty, hard hitting drama documentary then I'm certain that we would all be confused and annoyed but in many ways very glad that it wasn't full of singing Muppets.

Quote: Not Dave Gorman @ December 1 2010, 2:12 PM GMT

I couldn't agree more with this. Clearly the problem with this programme is not the writing or the performance but bad labelling.

I remember many years ago, when I was a boy, watching an episode of Fraggle Rock which had been wrongly labelled in the TV Times as a gritty, hard hitting drama documentary. I tuned in expecting swearing and violence but instead got Muppets and singing. I was both confused and annoyed.

If The Trip had been labelled as a gritty, hard hitting drama documentary then I'm certain that we would all be confused and annoyed but in many ways very glad that it wasn't full of singing Muppets.

Common sense prevails. :D

Quote: Lazzard @ December 1 2010, 2:15 PM GMT

Common sense prevails. :D

Not really.

I haven't seen epsode 5 yet as I was doing my neighbour on Monday night. The Trip has been very good but not THAT good. It'll wait till Sunday.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ December 1 2010, 7:17 PM GMT

I haven't seen epsode 5 yet as I was doing my neighbour on Monday night. The Trip has been very good but not THAT good. It'll wait till Sunday.

:D :D :D

TMI.

I enjoy The Trip in a kind of voyeuristic way, love listening in to other folks conversations, although these coversations will contain boring stuff.

Quote: zooo @ December 1 2010, 7:24 PM GMT

TMI.

I think it's the combination of that thought and his avatar. :D

Quote: zooo @ December 1 2010, 2:03 PM GMT

You can't force people to converse!

You can if you put a gun to their beloved pets...

On topic, am very much enjoying this so far, although as The Lady pointed out, it does seem to follow the same basic layout:

Steve Coogan sleeps with someone
Rob Brydon does an impression
Steve Coogan mocks Rob Brydon
Rob Brydon does an Al Pacino impression
They eat
Steve Coogan has a sad moment.

It does work mind...

Quote: olijba @ December 1 2010, 8:41 PM GMT

You can if you put a gun to their beloved pets...

On topic, am very much enjoying this so far, although as The Lady pointed out, it does seem to follow the same basic layout:

It does work mind...

It's OK to have a basic layout. It's what sitcom does. Miranda, The Trip, Dad's Army. It's all cool. People telling you off for something you find funny is bullying.

Quote: Marc P @ December 1 2010, 11:25 PM GMT

It's OK to have a basic layout. It's what sitcom does. Miranda, The Trip, Dad's Army. It's all cool. People telling you off for something you find funny is bullying.

Marc I can't help but think this comment is pointed at me. Is it?

Have I been bullying? Did I "tell you off" for finding The Trip funny?

I'm very sorry if that's how I came across.

My intention was to foster rigourous, critical discourse. Specifically on the assertion you put forward that The Trip is "well-written"

As I said to Nat, I'm new to these kinds of forums and I'd very much appreciate quote those parts of my posts that have been tantamount to bullying.

I have watched this now.

It is more good than it is shit.