The Trip - Series 1 Page 28

Quote: chipolata @ December 2 2010, 10:38 AM GMT

I'm actually quite surprised in this Health and Safety obsessed day and age they just let any one climb up the limestone cliffs. Coogan looked quite precarious going up without ropes or anything.

It was clearly all done by CGI.

Quote: Marc P @ December 2 2010, 10:53 AM GMT

He probably had some Kendal Mint Cake.

:D

(But only after I'd Googled it!)

Hi Marc,

I've been hunting through the old posts but I just can't find where you defined "well-written" in the context of The Trip.

As I clearly indicated, I know the Olivier quote. That was not my point - my point was that it was condescending. I think you need to read a bit more closely before responding.

The notion that using the word "text" rather than any other synonym adversely affects one's ability to discuss the work seems hard to justify.

I admit I, too, had to Google the Kendal Mint Cake.... :)

Quote: Not Dave Gorman @ December 2 2010, 10:55 AM GMT

It was clearly all done by CGI.

No, Coogan would have had a tighter face if it had been CGI.

Quote: JPM1 @ December 2 2010, 11:12 AM GMT

Hi Marc,

I've been hunting through the old posts but I just can't find where you defined "well-written" in the context of The Trip.

You are trying to analyse it in terms of what you see wrong and asking others to be complicit in this. Which is a little bit mad. What makes a character good is that we believe in them within the world they have created in which to inhabit. What Coleridge called the Willing suspension of disbelief. I don't have to care about them in a real sense, only enough to be hooked into the story and watch what happens. This happens for me within this show. I find them funny, believable, human. Like I said there are many forms of storytelling -this isn't one that fits your classical paradigm. You are asking me to make it logical to you why you prefer a cup of tea to a cup of coffee.

Quote: chipolata @ December 2 2010, 10:17 AM GMT

Also, I really think you should take this discussion down to the Writers Section.

Yes, I think that we need to move this discussion down to Writers' Discussion at this point. Thanks.

Quote: JPM1 @ December 2 2010, 10:36 AM GMT

I'm happy to move elsewhere. Please just let me know.

Apparently the Isle of Wight is very nice.

Now that's funny.

Quote: Aaron @ December 2 2010, 11:42 AM GMT

Yes, I think that we need to move this discussion down to Writers' Discussion at this point. Thanks.

Aaaaggghhh!

When I bloody suggest it, I get ignored.

Anyway, does this mean we can have a nice chat about the show now? I hope Kendal Mint cake features in the next episode. It's delicious.

Oh that's the one you meant?

That sounds like it's about characters. Are you saying that what makes The Trip well-written is that it has characters who are just believable enough to hook you into the story?

If that's not setting the bar low I don't know what is...

While the characters are, as you say, believable. I don't see how they are compelling, engaging, insightful, clever, or affecting. (Unless we look at it through the lens of drama as referenced earlier.)

They are talented impressionists. That seems to be about it.

They say and do roughly the same thing each week but without any reversals or lessons learned. Look at Frasier. They say and do the same thing in every episode but they learn a lesson (which is "reset" at the start of each new episode).

In one post you asked me to take my fingers out of my ears to hear a definition of well-written. My ears are open but I still don't hear a serious answer...