The Trip - Series 1 Page 33

Quote: Aaron @ May 7 2011, 7:58 PM BST

Well, you say you understand some of the criticism of it, but then how exactly do they "do so well" with the material?

Because they are very good at impressions and this is what their fans love to see. It IS a huge indulgence, if you can bare that fact then just try to enjoy their ultra competitive head to head of impersonations, even if there is little more to it than this. It's a flimsy excuse for a 'sitcom' but I feel they've done very well with it. So do tens of thousands of others, it seems.

And I feel you've ignored the writing somewhat, Aaron, if I may. It is very good, it's sharp and sends up both those they are impersonating and themselves.

The material may be repetitive, indulgent, yes, but it is also very good quality and judging from the general response, it's hit the mark with a lot of people. It has faults but then most sitcoms do.

Quote: Aaron @ May 7 2011, 7:58 PM BST

And yes, as chipolata points out, your statement is factually inaccurate.

One part of it yes, due to the fact I didn't have my anorak on while writing it and couldn't be bothered to research it. Lead Balloon was on BBC Two by the time I grimmaced at it and I just assumed, wrongly, that this is where it started.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ May 7 2011, 9:42 PM BST

And I feel you've ignored the writing somewhat, Aaron, if I may. It is very good, it's sharp and sends up both those they are impersonating and themselves.

I didn't find that there was enough substance or worth to the show to think about there even being any particular amount of writing, nevermind actually consider it.

Well, it's very good, one of the best scripts of last year, IMO. Pretend Coogan isn't in it and listen to a few minutes of it? A humble suggestion, that's all.

I have no particular problem with Coogan. What I do find, however, is that impressions are not intrinsically funny, and certainly not the same half-dozen impressions trotted out ad infinitum for 6 half-hours.

I didn't think it was a show about impressions. I thought a lot of it was about how annoying and irritating impressions could be.

I came to the realisation that whilst, of course, impressive (to an extent), the quality of the impression is not so important as what is said and done with it.

Explains the popularity of shows like Dead Ringers really: some absolutely terrible impressions in those programmes, yet they were in some way mocking, sending up, or commenting on a public figure.

I don't know what I enjoyed most about The Trip.

It was never balls out funny, but I don't think it was supposed to be. I saw it as more of a tragedy than anything. Coogan seems like a man trapped and utterly uneasy with himself, Brydon was just there to goad him and provide a bit of light.

The impressions got a bit tiresome after a while, especially with Brydon repeating the same lines over and over again. But there was enough quality ones to even things out.

Beautifully shot and almost totally on the money.

A well deserved win for Coogan at the BAFTAs. Hopefully they'll get a second series.

At least it was different and original

He deserves praise for that alone IMO

Quote: Lazzard @ November 29 2010, 11:51 PM BST

BAFTA anyone?
I reckon it stands a pretty good chance of picking up something.
Loved it again.

" Back of the net!"

Seriously,though, I'm pleased it got something.
Bet JPM1 is turning in his grave.

Coogan said at the BAFTAs that he was thinking about what form a second series could take so it's looking hopeful.

A Return Trip ?

They turned this into a movie in the U.S.? Weird...

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-trip,57286/

'...three-hour miniseries'. Or, as we call it, series.

Dan