The Trip - Series 1 Page 34

Apparently the producer of the series has revealed that there is going to be a second series filmed in Italy.

That comes as no surprise whatsoever!!!
Well, why not milk it, lads, eh? Just confirms the well known theory that if you're a name, you can spin Auntie Beeb around your little finger!

As a fan of the first series, I am looking forward to it, and I've got a week in Italy myself planned for this year (but unlike them I've not been before), so hopefully this'll add to the enjoyment of watching it.

The Trip just pulls you both ways, doesn't it?! I really despise the practice of this sort of indulging already well made stars in their ego trip while giving an apparent two fingers up to a long queue of untried talent with good scripts idling in the WR intrays BUT I loved what they did with it (despite it being inulgent, samey and totally unsitcommy! I know!) and I'm a fan of both of them, and most of all I think they have a fantastic chemistry.

The Trip is a total tease of a show, but I like it. Looking forward to the 2nd series! :)

Are you getting any kind of therapy at all Alfred?

You LOVE the show but despise it has a second series.

Marc, life is rarely straightforward. I'm sure you are as aware of this truism as I am. Morning. :)

Great news. Looking forward to it.

Quote: Marc P @ July 16 2011, 10:28 AM BST

Are you getting any kind of therapy at all Alfred? You LOVE the show but despise it has a second series.

That's Kipper!

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ July 16 2011, 10:32 AM BST

Marc, life is rarely straightforward. I'm sure you are as aware of this truism as I am. Morning. :)

The trick is to try and make it straightforward. It's okay to like something. It is also the nature of success that people want more of something or people that are successful. Shows that win awards and are liked get commissioned again often as not - this seems to be quite straightforward. Morning to you too sir. :)

Deeply depressing.

I would have liked another Trip around Britain, the English countryside was great in the first series, but Italy isn't that bad a place scenery-wise.

The change of location will help, definitely. I couldn't see a 2nd series in England working, as good as the scenery was. Firstly, you wouldn't be able to better it and secondly, it would be accused of looking too much the same.

The problem, or big task it has, is to make the material itself not feel samey, but that might be impossible. A second series I fear will only heighten the criticism levelled at the first series, but if it's as well written and played, then it will also get praise and prizes from its fans.

This is one show where I think it may have been best to end after one series, because there's so much potential for it outstaying its welcome and looking repetitive. So I think they're taking a risk in doing another but I want to see it. For fans of them and fans of impressions, I don't think they can do wrong, but for fans of genuine sitcoms and interesting narratives, I don't think The Trip can do right.

I'm a fan of all these things, so I'll be praising it and criticising it as normal, I expect. Hoping for a few new impressions, and, if I'm honest, more dark stuff, more women and more narrative involvement. I'm pretty sure they'll need to expand those storylines or risk a whole barrage of criticism for it being just a deeply indulgent vanity trip with no other dimension. It'll be a test of how good their writing and creativity is; they have set themselves a tough task. I reckon they'll deliver, but we'll see.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ July 17 2011, 10:21 AM BST

This is one show where I think it may have been best to end after one series,

I reckon they'll deliver.

Does it take you an hour to get dressed in the morning Alf? :D

It can, depends how much I had the night before. Let me clarify my point, as your crafty News of the World like editing does me no favours, ahem.

Ready? Okay if this was my own project, I may consider it best to pull out after one series. Why? Well, it caused a stir, won an award or two and pleased a lot of the stars' fans. That's great.

But considering the narrowness of the concept, the lack of room to manouvre and expand it, I fear it could be on a hiding to nothing, and there are many non fans of the stars just waiting to slag them off. The writing and scenarios in the next series will have to be especially good to fend off such looming criticism.

So yes, I say it may have been one project where the best policy would be to end it after one successful (but contentious) series. But if you're of the ilk that thinks more is best, or quantity reigns over quality, then carry on, carry on for ever. The possibilities are endless here: Hmm, 3rd series in Spain, 4th in America, 5th in China, 6th in...

Don't be so precious, Alfred. These are talented actors and writers, it really shouldn't be that difficult producing a 2nd series as good as the first.

Quote: Aaron @ July 16 2011, 1:28 PM BST

Deeply depressing.

I know, Coming Of Age cancelled and now this! GAHH!

Looking forward to it, be interesting to see what they do with it. Or if it will be the same but sunny.

No I don't doubt it, I know they are. But will it be different enough? Because I'm not sure just being good enough will be good enough, here. It will be slated to buggery if all they do is take the same Michael Caine impressions over to another country, we all know that!

A slight variation of menu, scenery and even impressions will not stop the tidal wave of criticism and accusations already growing in wait for an indulgent beano on the licence payers' bill. They have to be prepared for this, and so they either have to create a surprise or two or bear the brunt of it.

I will enjoy more of the same, but I will also slag it off for being so self indulgent, complacent and not creating something more substantial and involving. And I will understand others doing the same. Don't forget the very real 2nd series/2nd album/2nd book thing, where the critics expect something added, not just more of the same. They have to build on it. With the framework they created in the first series, this may be very hard to do. We'll see if they even try or not.

Hopefully, my rather complex point is now understood, as my fingers are throbbing.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 17 2011, 12:03 PM BST

I know, Coming Of Age cancelled and now this! GAHH!

Coming Of Age not returning is a frustrating and perplexing decision.

The recommission of The Trip is depressing.