Psychoville Special Page 8

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 1 2010, 11:29 AM BST

A shame, as they were the best double act in this, and one of the few parts where Shearsmith and Pemberton actually interacted.

She may live, but the teaser stuff I've seen only seems to feature David.

Quote: chipolata @ November 1 2010, 12:27 AM BST

It was a nice episode but it did also throw light on the relationship between those two characters. And after it I certainly thought of them differently. The "stories" in this show didn't tell us anything new about the characters or progress the wider Psychoville story in any way.

This is probably because Series 2 was written first, but the BBC wanted something to 'fill the gap' this year. Best to think of this episode as a bit like The Simpsons' Tree House Of Horror specials - getting to see your favourite characters in scenes you wouldn't normally get to in 'normal reality'.

Quote: Aaron @ November 1 2010, 12:00 AM BST

Very good stuff. Bit confusing how it all relates to the timeline, although perhaps when I've thought it through a bit more with the timing revelation at the end, it'll make slightly more sense...

In case you hadn't worked it out yet - the four tales were obviously just fictional stories (i.e. Joy's husband isn't really dead). The TV researcher and Drew were in Ravenshill at the same time as the final episode of Series 1... so Kenchington comes into Ravenhill shoots Drew, then walks into the other room where she meets all the other characters who are grouped around Mr Jolly (the final scenes from Series 1)

Quote: chipolata @ November 1 2010, 11:23 AM BST

I'm assuming with 4 dead that a fair few of the regulars are gone, and they're clearing the decks for new blood.

Speculative spoiler: The TV researcher and Drew are definitely dead I think it safe to assume. Mr Jolly must have died too... as he had the bomb strapped to him? If so, that just leaves one other character.

The Series 2 preview gives some clues to who survived too. You can re-watch that here if you missed it: https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/psychoville/videos/1893/

I didn't understand when Mrs Kenchington said she 'used to be' a ghost...

Quote: samcheese @ November 1 2010, 11:17 AM BST

Is the guy who helps Mr Lomax Parking Pataweyo from Harry & Paul? They look similar.

Yes, Daniel Kaluuya. As he says himself, he's lost some weight: http://twitter.com/Kaluuya/status/29317974843

I tell you what I can't work out - the combination to the safe. Has anyone cracked it yet? http://www.goldfishbowlprods.co.uk/

Apparently Steve Pemberton knows who the Ripper is, can't help but feel that's a reference to another series...

:D

Quote: Mark @ November 1 2010, 12:36 PM BST

Yes, Daniel Kaluuya.
I tell you what I can't work out - the combination to the safe. Has anyone cracked it yet? http://www.goldfishbowlprods.co.uk/

Check out Kenchington's diary...

As for the special, I thought it was great. Could have been better with a few more LOL moments as the horror did seem to supress the comedy slightly in my opinion. It was still great viewing however, especially if you watch it at midnight, like I did and I didn't mind the fact it didn't progress the series very much and actually expected it to be more of a self-contained episode anyway.

http://www.goldfishbowlprods.co.uk/

I daren't watch the Freddie clip! That doll freaks me out.

I have. The code is the full date listed in the diary - 25th October 2005 - 25/10/05.

Incidentally, I wonder if anyone has seen the list of promo sites yet.

Psychoville websites
Biggins Panto | www.bigginspanto.co.uk
Robert Greenspan | www.robertgreenspan.co.uk
Midget Gems | www.midgetgemsvideo.co.uk
Lomax Commodities | www.lomaxcommodities.co.uk
Jelly Parties | www.jellyparties.co.uk
Jolly Parties | www.jollyparties.co.uk
Murder and Chips | www.murderandchips.co.uk
Best Murders | www.bestmurders.co.uk
Joy's Advice to Young Mums Website | www.freddyfruitcake.co.uk
Goldfish Bowl Productions | www.goldfishbowlprods.co.uk
Character social networking accounts
David Sowerbutts' YouTube Channel www.youtube.com/user/davidsowerbutts
Mr Jelly's YouTube Channel www.youtube.com/user/jellyparties
Oscar Lomax's YouTube Channel www.youtube.com/user/lomaxcommodities
Joy Aston's YouTube Channel www.youtube.com/user/advicetoyoungmums

The guide hosts similar lists here and here.

So, yes people have seen the full list haha :D

Quote: Mark @ November 1 2010, 12:33 PM BST

This is probably because Series 2 was written first, but the BBC wanted something to 'fill the gap' this year.

That would explain a lot. And despite my reservations I'd very much like to see more Psychoville Halloween specials.

I also hope they release this as part of the series 2 DVD and don't try to sell it seperately.

Quote: Mark @ November 1 2010, 12:33 PM BST

Speculative spoiler: The TV researcher and Drew are definitely dead I think it safe to assume. Mr Jolly must have died too... as he had the bomb strapped to him? If so, that just leaves one other character.

Well, thinking back, there was the old lady who was handcuffed to Mr Jolly Jelly, the Asian lady who was helping Mr Lomax who Joy mistook (?) for Freddie, the nurse who was having an affair with Joy's husband - they were all present and any could be among the four deceased without being actual main characters. Possibly.

Quote: shaggy292 @ November 1 2010, 7:22 PM BST

Well, thinking back, there was the old lady who was handcuffed to Mr Jolly Jelly, the Asian lady who was helping Mr Lomax who Joy mistook (?) for Freddie, the nurse who was having an affair with Joy's husband - they were all present and any could be among the four deceased without being actual main characters. Possibly.

Good point! Mrs Wren (the woman hancuffed to Jelly) can be spotted in the preview clip, but one of those other 'secondary' characters could indeed be the other casualty. If the writers have opted to get rid of the 'extras' they're treading a fine line though, as fans will obviously expect something big.

Quote: Swiss Zepplin @ November 1 2010, 4:44 PM BST

Check out Kenchington's diary...

Thanks for the tip! Shame there wasn't more of a revelation behind the door, but still a fun little quiz to work out.