Newsjack - Series 3 Page 42

Quote: Failed Comedy Writer @ July 22 2010, 1:20 PM BST

The point is that it's not lack of ability. It's lack of opportunity.

Again, something like that does really sound like 'Well, of course I could do the whole thing ten times better, me, easy. They just never ask me to.'

It is a world away from writing now and again to churning out material week in, week out, day in, day out, often to extremely tight deadlines, whilst multi-tasking a number of other writing projects, which most freelancers have to do.

The truth is, most people CAN'T do that, which is why they don't make anything approaching a career from comedy writing.

Newsjack is three series old. The idea that it has already earned someone a glittering career is mad. It will be a first credit for some who will go on to having successes as writers. It will be a stepping stone for some people who are already on their way there. To others it will be the only taste of professional comedy writing they get.

But it won't be the programme that defines any of those things. It will be the person.

Which brings me back to the reason for asking...

Do we write for Newsjack for fun? Or do we write because secretly we think it'll help with our big break?

There are no doubt other reasons. I'm not sure why I submitted stuff. Probably because it was there.

Most people submit because they want a credit. That's why I do it. I don't enjoy writing for it, though, which might explain why I've got nowhere.

Fun. But also the kudos a credit brings.

Speking of which - any sign of smoke from Newsjack towers this week for anyone?

Quote: chipolata @ July 22 2010, 4:44 PM BST

Most people submit because they want a credit.

Or the respect of their peers....

I started the series with enthusiasm, but it wore off quickly again. I shall no doubt be back in six months for series four, like a dog returning to its own vomit.

I'm enjoying the two sitcoms I'm working on far far more, but can see your point StephenM. If they include me in tonights credits I may be so excited I'll tiddle myself.

Quote: StephenM @ July 22 2010, 4:44 PM BST

Speking of which - any sign of smoke from Newsjack towers this week for anyone?

Yes. I've got the email.

I got the email. After a whole series of getting nothing in there, it feels like an injury time winner.

*runs around the office with shirt pulled over head*.

Oh the f**kers. After all that ranting they've only gone and accepted some of my material.

Quote: Failed Comedy Writer @ July 22 2010, 5:10 PM BST

Oh the f**kers. After all that ranting they've only gone and accepted some of my material.

Ha!

Did anyone here submit a Barry Chuckle/Mandelson's diaries spoof? It was the toast of last night's show and, so I was informed, straight from the slushpile.

I notice the email says that Series 4 will be back in the new year.

And that they keep lists of all the people who submit.

(They probably read this thread as well........)

They do read it. So watch out.

Back in February...

Oh? They read this? Good.

YOU EVIL BUGGERS! I've spent six weeks spitting venom at you, and THIS is how you repay me??

Revenge!

Is it a secret we write for this show for the credits in hope it will lead to more things? It shouldn't be a secret, it should be part of your strategy.

Producers and agents have heard of this show (or BBC Radio!), I know because I've spoken to them about my involvement and it lead to swapping contact details as well as the opportunity to write for non-comm shows.

But you have to do that work yourself. You have to promote your credits and also get them!