The Peter Serafinowicz Show Page 12

I was a bit disappointed this week. Best sketches though were Goldfinger, Butterfield and maybe the Darth Vader one for, as Martin says, The Toilet Symbol.

And his Kevin Spacey was fantastic, almost better then Martins Sharon Osborne ;).

Quote: Martin Holmes @ October 19, 2007, 12:39 PM

How was it one joke? There were loads of little touches that made it great, him washing his face in the sink, the confusion with the Woman's toilet symbol thinking it was a picture of himself, him casually leaning on the side when asking her if she wanted to come to his 60th etc.

As I said, acting like a human. If people liked it then fine but I still think it's very disappointing that it should decline so much from the first ep and think that the football team of writers that they employed should have come up with something better.

How was mistaking the picture of the female symbol on the toilet for himself acting like a human? It was a beautiful gag.

Quote: Leevil @ October 19, 2007, 1:23 PM

And his Kevin Spacey was fantastic, almost better then Martins Sharon Osborne ;).

Ha...the key word being 'almost'.

Quote: Nick @ October 19, 2007, 2:27 PM

As I said, acting like a human. If people liked it then fine but I still think it's very disappointing that it should decline so much from the first ep and think that the football team of writers that they employed should have come up with something better.

The joke wasn't that he was human, the jokes were all the things he did when he was acting human, like Martin said. That's like saying the whole of Father Ted only had one joke which was Priests being sinful idiots.

I thought there were some decent sketches here. I'm warming to it more as the performances are so good. Although, his Mike Butterfield impression wasn't as accurate as usual, but it was a funny sketch.

watched episodes 1 and 3, both very hit and miss for me; i don't think ill watch it again.

the only big laugh i had was the notorious big bit. Vader was ok but went on too long.

Another really good episode, lots of very strong bits, and vader was great; Im still surprised at all the negativity about this show-because I think its great! Now im off to track down a jewel gun and a copy of gravies of the ancient world . . .

You know, having looked at other sites/reviews as well as this, and listened to what people have had to say about the show, the opinions are varying wildly. Not just in the sense that it is hit and miss as a whole, but the fact that individual sketches seem to be really loved or loathed. Butterfield for example is one. The Darth Vader sketch is another. As someone as used the term on here before, its a bit of a 'marmite' thing.

I'm personally sticking with it, because its worth watching for the very funny bits. The only drawback is having to sit through the dirge to actually reach them.

I was thinking today about the show and suddenly realised one thing about the show which really annoyed me. The opening credits!

I liked the music that was being played and the graphics used, but it was all ruined by that idiotic dancing. Yeah, I know that he was deliberately dancing bad, but it just seemed like a 'student-lite' attempt at subversion by having the classy music matched with his 'dancing'.

I'm really confused. The balance of opinion seems to be this was a better episode but in contrast to what I'd seen before I thought it was almost laughless. I dig his Ringo impression for the right balance of Scouse and mid-Atlantic cokehead, and as has been said the orgy form was funny. I thought the rest really was lame - either repeating earlier ideas, or doing obvious stuff (and for too long). Who hasn't heard a Darth Vader heavy breathing gag before? And lampooning the Antiques Roadshow isn't exactly cutting edge is it?

Some of it was drivel but I genuinely like the Darth Vader sketches. With something as serious as Star Wars parody is easy - see 'Spaceballs' - but I liked the humanising of the characters. I agree that a breathing gag is too derivative though.

Unless I wasn't paying attention they also seem to have dropped calling him a "comedy genius" in the BBC2 intros. Next step: Thursdays are Somewhat Disappointing

i thought the form on the orgy sketch was far too obvious, i saw it coming a mile off, like most of his gags.

I like his skills as a performer(alan alda was v good) but his jokes are lame.

Quote: ajp29 @ October 19, 2007, 1:38 AM

I don't think you've read it any where unless they got sued for libel

I did, and as far as I'm aware they haven't. Which says a lot. ;)

Quote: David Chapman @ October 18, 2007, 11:40 PM

Maybe we find it hard to accept these sketch shows starring just one person because it's hard to believe they're a different character every couple of minutes.

Well Dick Emery, Stanley Baxter, Kenny Everett et al managed it rather well. But nothing modern that I can think of...?

Hi Guys and Girls

As you can see this is my first post....

I gotta say for a sitcom discussion board...you are all pretty miserable!!

the Darth Vader sketch last night was pure gold!
I tried to explain it to the Missus and I fell on the floor laughing.
this guy is an amazing impressionist.

will you all please lighten up.....you silly sods!

Hi shawrey, and welcome to the forums. Generally we're not bitter, it's the aspiring writers that think they can do better that get upset(that includes me).

I think he is a decent comic talent, i just don't think his gags are that good.