The Peter Serafinowicz Show Page 17

I loved this series! True, every sketch ain't a Maserati, but the stuff that hits just killed me. His impressions are excellent, considering the large number of people he's attempting to do. (didn't get the Ray Finnes bit though... am I missing something he did where he talked that high?) His Alan Alda is just scary it's so good.

Oh well, high points to me were the Butterfield bits, Darth Vader, O News (great), the Robot talk show host, and the weirdness on the shopping shows. The old educational films were done well, too. Top notch technical production on everything, really.

I'd like to see another go 'round. Maybe I'm used to shows like Saturday Night Live where you sometimes (most times, actually) have to weed through the mundane stuff to find the gems.

IMO, this is unusual but makes me quite happy!

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/2008/09/serafinowicz_back_at_christmas.html

And for those who can't access:

BBC2 sketch format The Peter Serafinowicz Show is to return for a Christmas special.

Objective Productions is making a festive edition of the show, which will air initially as a 30-minute format, followed by a 40-minute version in a repeat slot.

The show sees Serafinowicz spoof TV talk shows, shopping channels and Hollywood entertainment news bulletins.

The performer is best known for BBC2 science spoof Look Around You as well as roles in Spaced and movie Shaun of the Dead. He also voiced Darth Maul in Star Wars film The Phantom Menace.

It was commissioned last year on the back of a series of shorts that Serafinowicz and his brother James self-funded and uploaded to YouTube. James went on to produce the series, which was commissioned by BBC comedy controller Lucy Lumsden.

Ratings were disappointing for the first six-part series in October last year, with audiences rarely rising above a million. It launched in October last year as part of BBC2's "Thursdays are funny" strand, paired with Jennifer Saunders' The Life and Times of Vivienne Vyle.

However, sketches have had a healthy following on YouTube and Serafinowicz went on to win a best entertainer prize at the annual Rose d'Or Television Awards.

Hooray, if, the material this time matches his performances.

Turkey is always more appreciated at Christmas.

*Says nothing. Smiles inwardly*

;)

Will look forward to it. Don't think anyone is disputing he's a brilliant performer. Just think his shows would benefit from a wider circle of writers and a tough-love producer.

Has his brother Produced any other well known shows?

Quote: hotzappa11 @ September 16 2008, 2:13 PM BST

IMO, this is unusual but makes me quite happy!

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/2008/09/serafinowicz_back_at_christmas.html

And for those who can't access:

BBC2 sketch format The Peter Serafinowicz Show is to return for a Christmas special.

Objective Productions is making a festive edition of the show, which will air initially as a 30-minute format, followed by a 40-minute version in a repeat slot.

The show sees Serafinowicz spoof TV talk shows, shopping channels and Hollywood entertainment news bulletins.

The performer is best known for BBC2 science spoof Look Around You as well as roles in Spaced and movie Shaun of the Dead. He also voiced Darth Maul in Star Wars film The Phantom Menace.

It was commissioned last year on the back of a series of shorts that Serafinowicz and his brother James self-funded and uploaded to YouTube. James went on to produce the series, which was commissioned by BBC comedy controller Lucy Lumsden.

Ratings were disappointing for the first six-part series in October last year, with audiences rarely rising above a million. It launched in October last year as part of BBC2's "Thursdays are funny" strand, paired with Jennifer Saunders' The Life and Times of Vivienne Vyle.

However, sketches have had a healthy following on YouTube and Serafinowicz went on to win a best entertainer prize at the annual Rose d'Or Television Awards.

Is the implication of this that it was success on YouTube that both got him a series and a Christmas special?

Quote: chipolata @ September 17 2008, 1:04 PM BST

Is the implication of this that it was success on YouTube that both got him a series and a Christmas special?

One imagines it also had something to do with a string of film and TV credits.

Did noone catch the "Best of" last week?

Kitchen Gun . . . Classic

Looking forwards to Christmas special.

Quote: Elfman @ November 24 2007, 6:18 AM GMT

I loved this series! True, every sketch ain't a Maserati, but the stuff that hits just killed me. His impressions are excellent, considering the large number of people he's attempting to do. (didn't get the Ray Finnes bit though... am I missing something he did where he talked that high?) His Alan Alda is just scary it's so good.

Oh well, high points to me were the Butterfield bits, Darth Vader, O News (great), the Robot talk show host, and the weirdness on the shopping shows. The old educational films were done well, too. Top notch technical production on everything, really.

I'd like to see another go 'round. Maybe I'm used to shows like Saturday Night Live where you sometimes (most times, actually) have to weed through the mundane stuff to find the gems.

Yes, you're absolutley missing the very point there . . . go search for Rising Damp on this very site . . .

Quote: ScotiaNova @ December 20 2008, 6:08 AM GMT

Did noone catch the "Best of" last week?

Kitchen Gun . . . Classic

Looking forwards to Christmas special.

Wasn't it on at about 11pm? With no promotion? After a dead-end film?

Basically, I saw it was on, but just couldn't be bothered.

Quote: Aaron @ December 20 2008, 11:38 AM GMT

Wasn't it on at about 11pm? With no promotion? After a dead-end film?

Basically, I saw it was on, but just couldn't be bothered.

It was on after Have I got More News for You and Buzzcocks, so had a bit of a lead in . . .

So it was. But one a repeat of an extended version of an already broadcast programme, and the other a repeat. Still not the best scheduling.

Quote: Aaron @ December 20 2008, 12:04 PM GMT

So it was. But one a repeat of an extended version of an already broadcast programme, and the other a repeat. Still not the best scheduling.

Sorry Aaron, but what's your point?
It wasn't a widely seen show (at least amongst my work colleagues who would stare at me blankly about this weird sir-if-not-itch show I'd seen the previous evening).
It was a taster for the Crimbo special and was trying to draw folk in by following more popular fayre.