Underrated, undervalued or forgotten gems Page 13

Another undervalued and almost forgotten gem is 'Don't Wait Up'. It is great in my book. But only the first two series are available last time I looked. Would love to see the rest. They made about 6 series I think.

Oh, and 'My Good Friend' was another one I enjoyed. But last time I looked wasn't on DVD. It was a show I hoped would return, but didn't seem to. I'm not sure if it was strictly a sitcom or not. Probably not.

Yeah, six series of Don't Wait Up - yet another programme to have suffered at the hand of Universal Playback. Maybe they'll get back to it now that the Hi-De-Hi! and 'Allo 'Allo! box sets are out.

Some of my own favourite obscurities are ...

Surgical Spirit - I had such a crush on Nichola McAuliffe as a wee lad <3 !

The Piglet Files - I'll be honest I remember very little about this but seem to have enjoyed it back in the day.

The Two of Us - just fab!

Glad to see Valentine Park and Nightingales has had a mention, Nightingales inparticular was superb, was so chuffed to get this for Christmas a couple of years ago :D . The Paul Merton Show and Sean's Show were also big faves but seem to have been forgotten about since the stars have gone onto bigger things.

And if we are going to talk about US sitcoms, how about Married With Children? Huge in the US but relegated to regional late night schedules over here, although it did get a tea time Sky One slot a few years ago, albeit hacked to pieces. A perfect example of the British 'loser sitcom', just happened to be made in America, that's all.

I'll give another vote for Colin's Sandwich too, but why no mention of Watching? Love that show and would to see it again.

One last one is A Kind of Living - or at least that's what I think it was called - with Tim Healy and Richard Griffiths. Haven't seen it since I was about 10 but remember it being pretty damn good.

Quote: MIKIE @ November 30 2009, 9:30 PM GMT

The Piglet Files - I'll be honest I remember very little about this but seem to have enjoyed it back in the day.

I'm sure they show that on ITV4, or at least they used to? Maybe Comedy Central X now?

I'll keep an eye out for it, it would be nice to see how well it has or hasn't aged.

Quote: MIKIE @ November 30 2009, 9:30 PM GMT

And if we are going to talk about US sitcoms, how about Married With Children? Huge in the US but relegated to regional late night schedules over here, although it did get a tea time Sky One slot a few years ago, albeit hacked to pieces. A perfect example of the British 'loser sitcom', just happened to be made in America, that's all.

Very good treatment on Paramount earlier in the decade.

Quote: Leevil @ November 30 2009, 9:33 PM GMT

I'm sure they show that on ITV4, or at least they used to? Maybe Comedy Central X now?

Paramount. Not on much since the relaunch. Comedy Central Extra at around 4 am most nights (including tonight) at the moment though.

I think someone might have already mentioned it but Nightingales.

More like a three man Pinter play then a sitcom but one of my favourites. Robert Lindsay, David Threlfall and James Ellis at their best.

Robert Lindsay should be more remembered for this than My Family.

Quote: James Cotter @ November 30 2009, 9:45 PM GMT

I think someone might have already mentioned it but Nightingales.

More like a three man Pinter play then a sitcom but one of my favourites. Robert Lindsay, David Threlfall and James Ellis at their best.

Robert Lindsay should be more remembered for this than My Family.

Doubt it; he won't even be remembered for Citizen Smith as much as he will be remembered for My Family. >_< Never seen Nightingales; might give it a go. Doubt Seconds Out, the RL comedy in which he played a boxer will be released for a while - or Give Us A Break.

Quote: peter gazzard @ November 30 2009, 10:18 PM GMT

Doubt it; he won't even be remembered for Citizen Smith as much as he will be remembered for My Family.

Oh don't say that, that is utterly depressing to think that that terrible show will be what he'll be remembered for. I'd like to think that real sitcom lovers will always remember him fondly as Wolfie.

I did see a couple of Nightingale episodes and I thought it was amusing and different, and the acting was obviously brilliant, but I turned off it because I thought the characters were too samey, from what I could remember, three layabouts in uniforms with similar dark senses of humour. ?? It was a while ago tho.

Quote: Steve Charlie @ November 28 2009, 9:25 AM GMT

Yeah, it was quite good. It sort of ended a bit abruptly I thought and maybe there was more potential there. I don't know what the story was but I wondered if they had continued with the name 'porridge' it might have kept going?

Well, alas it was the tragically young death of the great sitcom second man Richard Beckinsale that ended it. Never seen it since, and I doubt very much if it's as good as I remember it to be, but it may have got a second series just because of the characters in it and the success of Porridge. I do remember the theme song well tho, I thought it was really catchy, sung by Ronnie Barker himself, 'I'm goin straight I am, straight as an arra, I've done me time doo doo de doo...'. Ah, nostalgia...

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ December 1 2009, 6:09 AM GMT

Oh don't say that, that is utterly depressing to think that that terrible show will be what he'll be remembered for. I'd like to think that real sitcom lovers will always remember him fondly as Wolfie.

I did see a couple of Nightingale episodes and I thought it was amusing and different, and the acting was obviously brilliant, but I turned off it because I thought the characters were too samey, from what I could remember, three layabouts in uniforms with similar dark senses of humour. ?? It was a while ago tho.

I only said he's more likely to be remembered for My Family as it has registered with more people. People who appreciate good comedy know Robert was much better in Citizen Smith, but it's barely been repeated.

Is It Legal?. I did enjoy that show. Probably mainly for Kate Issit, but thought it was really funny too. It also had that bloke in that I keep thinking is Will Smith (the comedian) but it's not.

To me, Robert Lindsay will always be remembered as Michael Murray in GBH.

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ December 1 2009, 9:41 AM GMT

Is It Legal?. I did enjoy that show. Probably mainly for Kate Issit, but thought it was really funny too. It also had that bloke in that I keep thinking is Will Smith (the comedian) but it's not.

To me, Robert Lindsay will always be remembered as Michael Murray in GBH.

Dan

Ah, you beat me to it! Yes, GBH is possibly his greatest role, and also quite possibly one of British TVs greatest characters. Just utterly superb.

I also agree that Is it Legal? was really rather good.

Is It Legal? is in desperate need of a DVD release.

Does anyone remember Give us a Break?
Robert Lindsay & Paul McGann.
Not strictly comedy, more comedy dramaish.