Underrated, undervalued or forgotten gems Page 12

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 27 2009, 10:10 PM GMT

Cheers Peter, The Two Of Us came back into my memory soon after posting. Peter played a rather wooden butler. Nearly Departed was the Idle one I couldn't remember. Did he play a ghost in it or something? Errr

Yeah, he and his wife were dead and very unmemorable. The only funny moment I can remember is Idle standing on the counter at the Motor Vehicle dept. helping an old guy cheat on his eye test by recreating the letters with his body, and even that was kind of meh. The funniest part of the whole show was that local papers advertised the show as Dearly Departed in the TV section and continued to even after the show was cancelled. :D

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ November 24 2009, 10:25 AM GMT

No I didn't see that one. Not a gem but I think under rated and over looked was the Porridge follow up, Going Straight. I remember watching every one (only one series) and really enjoying it.

Yeah, it was quite good. It sort of ended a bit abruptly I thought and maybe there was more potential there. I don't know what the story was but I wondered if they had continued with the name 'porridge' it might have kept going?

Quote: peter gazzard @ November 27 2009, 9:04 PM GMT

That mid 80s ITV comedy Valentine Park. Don't remember much about it but what I do remember I thought was pretty good.

Funny you should say that as I remember seeing bits of it only and thinking it was very funny. But reviews I've read are very damning of it. I tend to not take a lot of notice of reviews on the net now, as sometimes I've found I've had the opposite view.

I think US sitcoms Ellen & Cybill are often overlooked.

I like Cybill. Must complete my DVD collection.

Quote: Aaron @ November 28 2009, 4:38 PM GMT

I like Cybill. Must complete my DVD collection.

That was a very good show. One of our women centered stations runs it all the time. :D

Paramount Comedy used to play it a lot, but not seen it on there for years. They were quite into Grace Under Fire around the same time. Not that bad a show, but a little on the depressing side.

Quote: Aaron @ November 28 2009, 5:03 PM GMT

Paramount Comedy used to play it a lot, but not seen it on there for years. They were quite into Grace Under Fire around the same time. Not that bad a show, but a little on the depressing side.

I never got into Grace Under Fire, even when it was one of the hottest shows on the air. I tend to not jump on the band wagon with our television. I'm complex like that. :D

I only watched Grace Under Fire because it was on late-night BBC2 and I was a rebel kid like that Cool Also watched Seinfeld for the same reason (and to laugh at the funny sliding man).

Quite liked Grace. Has anyone mentioned Becker as a show that never got a proper screening in the UK?

I can't remember if I have contributed to this thread before or not, but if I have it was probably to namecheck Peter Tilbury's It Takes A worried Man.

Becker got decent treatment on Paramount, I thought? Never really watched it though Pleased

Quote: Timbo @ November 28 2009, 5:16 PM GMT

Quite liked Grace. Has anyone mentioned Becker as a show that never got a proper screening in the UK?

Becker's on quite frequently on Paramount/Comedy Central. Such a brilliant show.

Quote: Leevil @ November 28 2009, 5:18 PM GMT

Becker got decent treatment on Paramount, I thought? Never really watched it though Pleased

Endlessly repeated on Paramount, but the only terrestrial free-to-air showing was years later when it was stripped daily on Five at tea time. You missed a gem. Imagine if Doc Martin had moved to the Bronx instead of Cornwall, and you have the basic set-up.

Quote: Timbo @ November 28 2009, 5:35 PM GMT

Endlessly repeated on Paramount, but the only terrestrial free-to-air showing was years later when it was stripped daily on Five at tea time. You missed a gem. Imagine if Doc Martin had moved to the Bronx instead of Cornwall, and you have the basic set-up.

Good comparison Timbo. :D

Doc Martin could use a coffee shop though.

Maybe I should watch Doc Martin then.

Quote: Timbo @ November 28 2009, 5:35 PM GMT

Imagine if Doc Martin had moved to the Bronx instead of Cornwall, and you have the basic set-up.

Sounds like an idea for a thread. Errr