Underrated, undervalued or forgotten gems Page 8

Not many of our great public share that view, that's the big problem. Most of all it's the TV co. who fear the backlash - it isn't really fair, in honesty, the man has done his time and is legally free - but his career is definitely ruined. He has suffered as much as serial killer would, in that respect. I believe I'm right in saying that he served less time in prison than Stephen Fry, and look how feted that man is now. Perhaps the Law should find a way to protect careers being destroyed like this.

Now you're going down the Labour Party route of legislating emotion, thought process and common sense!

No, it's a shame, but no legislation could ever do anything about it. What is quite possible is that he would be able to continute to write, but under a pseudonym. It's a pity we're so unlikely to see his performance skills again though.

I think it's down to the nature of the crime, rather than the fact he has committed one. Compare Gary Glitter to other pop stars who have broken the law in other ways. I always felt uneasy seeing Leslie Grantham on TV too.

We shouldn't feel the government, BBC, etc are letting us down. It was the actor himself who did that.

Quote: Aaron @ November 18 2009, 4:55 PM GMT

Now you're going down the Labour Party route of legislating emotion, thought process and common sense!

I don't mean to be rude, Aaron, but do shut up.

Someone already mentioned Game On, but I did find this very watchable too - yes it had cringey moments but I far prefered it to 2 Pints and MBB. I'm not saying it was good, or under rated, or even my normal cup of tea, but I watched many episodes of this quite happily - it was a good time filler sitcom, as I thought Home To Roost was.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ November 18 2009, 7:27 AM GMT

A Sharp Intake of Breath - Never seen it since but I loved it at the time. And, much better known is the under appreciated Citizen Smith, which had great storylines, and should have been repeated much more than it has been. And lastly, slighty sniffed at sitcom George & Mildred, which could be very funny.

I recently purchaded A Sharp Intake of Breath having seen an episode called 'The Seven year Hitch' which was great, but I was dissapointed with the other episodes of the series when getting it on DVD.

Citizen Smith is one of my all time favourite sitcoms, a great show.

How about Barbara, that was really funny.

Quote: Bert Bastard @ November 18 2009, 4:58 PM GMT

I don't mean to be rude, Aaron, but do shut up.

Ah, we have a party member amongst our midst. :)

Nathan Barley
Meet The Magoons
An Actor's Life For Me
Velvet Soup
The Visit

Quote: roscoff @ November 18 2009, 1:17 PM GMT

May have been said but always worth saying again 'Colin's Sandwich'. Often considered a forerunner to The Office and well over due for a release on DVD. Mel Smith's finest work imo.

Good call.
I only watched a couple, but remembered enjoying them.
A bit Peepshowesque as I recall. Didn't Colin have an internal monologue?
Good theme tune as well.

Quote: Aaron @ November 18 2009, 6:00 PM GMT

Ah, we have a party member amongst our midst. :)

Yeah I was many years ago (until I saw the light) but I notice posting bollocks isn't restricted to whatever political persuasion you are. Chris Langham's antics were unforgiveable.

Anyway, back to the topic, Nightingales.

My comment was in response to the suggestion that we should legislate to safeguard the careers of convicted paedophiles; not in support of any such crimes!

Has anyone mentioned Next Of Kin, featuring Penelope Keith? I really like that. :)

Operation Good Guys maybe not so much the last series with the whole going abroad business but the first two series, for me, had more laughs than The Office. Oo get me.

Quote: drZee @ November 18 2009, 9:40 PM GMT

Has anyone mentioned Next Of Kin, featuring Penelope Keith? I really like that. :)

Yes they have. It was a quality sitcom. They don't seem to make em like that any more much.

'Sink or Swim' - 70s/early 80s? with Peter Davison. I remember thinking this was very funny when it was replayed during the school holidays when I was younger. Fairly forgotten though and has not yet come out on DVD. My friend met Peter Davison recently and asked him if it would be released on DVD - he just said 'I hope so'. I wonder if I'd still think it was as funny. My guess is yes, as it is more in your Only Fools and Horses class rather than your 'Bless This House' class. I don't like Bless This House.

Quote: The Giggle-o @ November 18 2009, 10:20 PM GMT

Operation Good Guys

Good call.

Quote: Steve Charlie @ November 19 2009, 7:58 AM GMT

'Sink or Swim' - 70s/early 80s? with Peter Davison.

I remember this and it seemed quite similar to OFAH at the time. Wasn't Davison an older brother and had a rebelious younger brother?