- Comedy Drama
- 2004 - 2019
- 70 (9 series)
- Dominic Minghella
- Martin Clunes, Caroline Catz, Ian McNeice, Joe Absolom, Selina Cadell, John Marquez, Stephanie Cole, Eileen Atkins and more
- Dominic Minghella, Charlie Martin, John Regier, Kirstie Falkous, Jack Lothian, Richard Stoneman, Edana Minghella, Nick Vivian and more
- Ben Bolt, Minkie Spiro, Paul Seed, Nigel Cole and Ben Gregor
- Philippa Braithwaite, Mark Crowdy and Sandy Poustie
Martin Clunes stars in this traditional and very popular family comedy drama as the socially challenged GP working in a sleepy Cornish hamlet.
After developing a phobia of blood, specialist vascular surgeon Martin Ellingham is forced into a change of career. He may have re-trained as a GP, but he still retains the aloof and tactless manner that presumably took him to specialist surgery in the first place. When he's unleashed on the sleepy Cornish fishing village of Portwenn, the inhabitants are in for a shock - they're more likely to receive cold-blooded diagnoses and personal insults than tea and sympathy.
Things do not start well. On an initial visit, he greatly disconcerts local teacher Louisa Glasson, who he then finds is on the health board that will either accept or reject him as the new doctor. Luckily she is won over. Later, Martin and Louisa fall in love and eventually - after a few false starts - get married. But harmony is hard to find...
- Camera set-up
- Single camera
- First broadcast
- Thursday 2nd September 2004 at 9pm on ITV
- Most recent repeats
- Port Isaac and Boscastle - Filmed on location in North Cornwall.