Miranda - Series 1 Page 24

Quote: chipolata @ November 23 2009, 11:57 AM GMT

As it is, it's getting pretty average audiences of of between 1 and 2 million. And, there have been shows with bigger audiences than that that never got recomissioned.

According to official overnight figures the shows first 2 episodes averages around 2 and a half million, the second episode increased on the first week. The official final rating for the first episode will be on the BARB website sometime in the next week or so. I think it's done well in the timeslot it's been landed with.

Also bear in mind when thinking about viewing figures that the ratings are based upon around 5000 households selected by BARB to have a device fitted to the TV to track them and their families viewing habits. That's 5000 out of a population of around 60 million. I've never thought them to be very accurate. Technically it could mean that if all 5000 people watched X Factor the ratings would be sky high, but what about the other 60 million people who don't have a box fitted to the TV? Just a thought.

Just watched the 3rd episode on iPlayer.

What a f**king clever bastard of a show. Loved the interview scene and the ending was so cheesy, but funny. Loved the gym scenes as well as Miranda throwing food at the customers, although I was thinking "why not just tell your friend you are helping out the for the night?"

Laughed the whole way through.

Quote: Aaron @ November 23 2009, 8:13 PM GMT

Yeah, I mean, Spaced? WTF is that all about?

:O
Zooo, educate the guy please. Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, Red Dwarf, Spaced, Yes Minister. The five greatest UK comedies, ever.
:)

I'm yet to watch this but after catching the closing credits, was slightly put off by the self-conscious to-camera bits at the end. And it's taken me 5 years to get SlagB not to look to-camera. Talk about circles.

I really like this show, new and original, lots of weird and quirky things going on. Just having her stare at the camera makes me laugh.

She does look a bit like my uncle though, except he isn't as tall as her or wear size ten shoes.

Have to say, hard as Miranda Hart tries this comedy is juvenile rubbish.

At times I thought I was watching a Crackerjack Sketch from the 1970s.

How it made it to the screens really astounds me.

JJ

Quote: LAUGH?NEARLYDIED @ November 24 2009, 12:25 PM GMT

JJ

I thought you said you Laughed and nearly died?

Quote: Scottidog @ November 24 2009, 12:27 PM GMT

I thought you said you Laughed and nearly died?

Funny, I was wondering why you kept saying Scottiedog?

What I like best about her is the way she just goes for a joke or 'funny line' even when it is cringe makingly embarrassing. It seems she has no fear of 'dying' like a lot of comedians do, and that is a really nice change. Of course it could all be deliberately embarrassing a la Monsieur Gervaisse, but I'm not so sure her unfunny bits are meant to be unfunny. I shall have to look out for more of these to see if they're meant to be cringey or not. I'm sure we will get some. But I DO like the show, it's a bit ragged, but I like it.

Yes - ragged - but in a nice way. A bit shambolic but fun.

Episode 3 was the weakest for me so far but still a fair bit to laugh at. As usual, wife laughed more than I did. That said, saw a friend on Sunday who thought it was rubbish. Why would they choose to make Miranda over my masterpiece she wondered. Mind you, same woman assumed mine must be utter shite if they dropped it while Not Going Out was still being broadcast. I guess we don't share the same sense of humour, which is odd as apparently I got drunk at her 40th birthday dinner the other week and amused her and everyone else with the story of how I wore my wife's thong for a day to prove to her it was, in fact, sexy, and not uncomfortable. No pleasing some people.

Quote: SlagA @ November 24 2009, 12:10 PM GMT

:O
Zooo, educate the guy please.

Laughing out loud
He's too far gone!

Quote: zooo @ November 24 2009, 2:22 PM GMT

Laughing out loud
He's too far gone!

Tie him to a chair and make him sit through it all!

Liked the first one. Not as keen on the second one. Bored by the third one. The Miranda character is ok, but everyone else is completely vacuous. The love interest is a bigger girl than Miranda; Stevie is like an escapee from Loose Women and the mother is utterly tedious - All that 'what I call' nonsense doesn't even make sense half the time.

Quote: LAUGH?NEARLYDIED @ November 24 2009, 12:25 PM GMT

JJ

Summed-up perfectly. She just tries to hard to be a 'Monicaesque', zany, type character. I do like the 'You have been watching' bit though.

Who's Monica?

You know what Miranda needs? A couple of post-ironic teenage media type slackers sitting around calling each other 'a vagina'.

No wait, it doesn't. It's a silly, knockabout, half hour sitcom on a Monday night which actually makes me laugh out loud. It may not have the 'hip, cool, savvy, cynacism' of Free Agents, Lunch Monkeys, Campus or Phoneshop but do you know what it does have?

Jokes. That's right, funny dialogue that invokes laughter. It is an old fashioned concept, but I like it. Which is probably why it's being bigged up by members of this Forum.

Oh and it's not an Office or Thick of It rip off, unlike every other sitcom that's being shown at the moment.

Besides, just like We Are Klang which I eventually warmed to, you can tell just how much fun they have making the show. The scene with Miranda gliding along the exercise balls and landing on the mat with a big smile sums up the show for me.