Miranda - Series 1 Page 25

Well said!

It's not vulgar, not crude, not in your face (well ok it IS a bit).

It's harmless inoffensive and funny.

Maybe not to everyone's taste fair enough, but it reminds me of the type of show you would have got on BBC One back in the 1990s and I love it.

Quote: zooo @ November 24 2009, 4:16 PM GMT

Who's Monica?

'Friends' Monica.

Quote: The Rook @ November 24 2009, 4:06 PM GMT

Summed-up perfectly. She just tries to hard to be a 'Monicaesque', zany, type character. I do like the 'You have been watching' bit though.

Thanks

Dunno why but watching Miranda I can't help thinking she's like a female version of that old carry on actor Jack Douglas.

Quote: The Rook @ November 24 2009, 4:51 PM GMT

'Friends' Monica.

Ohhh.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ November 24 2009, 4:28 PM GMT

You know what Miranda needs? A couple of post-ironic teenage media type slackers sitting around calling each other 'a vagina'.

No wait, it doesn't. It's a silly, knockabout, half hour sitcom on a Monday night which actually makes me laugh out loud. It may not have the 'hip, cool, savvy, cynacism' of Free Agents, Lunch Monkeys, Campus or Phoneshop but do you know what it does have?

Jokes. That's right, funny dialogue that invokes laughter. It is an old fashioned concept, but I like it. Which is probably why it's being bigged up by members of this Forum.

Oh and it's not an Office or Thick of It rip off, unlike every other sitcom that's being shown at the moment.

Besides, just like We Are Klang which I eventually warmed to, you can tell just how much fun they have making the show. The scene with Miranda gliding along the exercise balls and landing on the mat with a big smile sums up the show for me.

Yeah but don't you think it borders on the utter ridiculous and exaggerates every sketch to the point where it all looks very very contrived, overcooked and over indulgent? That's what killed it for me, the OTT antics that border the plain stupid that not even kids would do in their maddest moments.

Also thought a lot of the other characters might as well have not been there the screen is dominated by Miranda. But as I said earlier, hard as she tries this is juvenile nonsense.

I'm still really enjoying this. It's what I call funny.

:)

Quote: Jane P @ November 24 2009, 5:57 PM GMT

Fairy nuff.

Each to their own.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Quote: LAUGH?NEARLYDIED @ November 24 2009, 6:00 PM GMT

Fairy nuff.

Each to their own.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Why can't more people on here share that sentiment?

In case my previous comment got lost in translation Miranda's mum keeps saying "It's what I call..." which at first I didn't find amusing and now it tickles me.

Weird when that happens (or maybe it's just me).

Dunno why but watching Miranda I can't help thinking she's like a female version of that old carry on actor Jack Douglas

Spot on, mate - she is a female Jack Douglas, whose best roles were probably in Carry On Behind, Carry On Jack, Carry on Abroad, Carry On Emanuelle, Carry On England. I think. His trade mark was being accident prone and spilling things, usually while having somekind a sneezing fit or seizure. Someone else mentioned she's like other Carry Onster, Bernard Bresslaw. Oh that's unkind...but I see your point. He was a funny bloke too.

Douglas was not in Carry on Jack, but that may be drifting off topic.

Miranda in some respects, not just size, is a modern Hattie Jacques, but a less versatile and, form my money, less engaging performer.

Still I have stopped watching this now, so I will not comment again in this thread.

Quote: Jane P @ November 24 2009, 5:57 PM GMT

Laughing out loud

Quote: LAUGH?NEARLYDIED @ November 24 2009, 5:22 PM GMT

But as I said earlier, hard as she tries this is juvenile nonsense.

Yeah but you don't know what you are talking about. ;)

Quote: Marc P @ November 24 2009, 10:12 PM GMT

Yeah but you don't know what you are talking about. ;)

Thanks

Wave

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ November 24 2009, 6:54 PM GMT

Dunno why but watching Miranda I can't help thinking she's like a female version of that old carry on actor Jack Douglas.

Spot on, mate - she is a female Jack Douglas, whose best roles were probably in Carry On Behind, Carry On Jack, Carry on Abroad, Carry On Emanuelle, Carry On England. I think. His trade mark was being accident prone and spilling things, usually while having somekind a sneezing fit or seizure. Someone else mentioned she's like other Carry Onster, Bernard Bresslaw. Oh that's unkind...but I see your point. He was a funny bloke too.

Thanks

:D

Quote: Jane P @ November 24 2009, 6:09 PM GMT

Why can't more people on here share that sentiment?

In case my previous comment got lost in translation Miranda's mum keeps saying "It's what I call..." which at first I didn't find amusing and now it tickles me.

Weird when that happens (or maybe it's just me).

Most people can't share the sentiment because they come on internet forums to carry out daily self massage on their egos. They are insecure and have to try and put others down to look big.

Personally I ignore the negativity from trolls and respect others opinions and tastes. Sadly others use these places as petty pointscoring opportunities.

Moving on, yeah I fully understand the catchphrase effect and how it grows on one. CJ in Reggie Perrin was like that. At first I never got his "I didn't get where I am today by being....(whatever)" But came to love his character because of it. Likewise Frank Spencer with his "As my mother used to say..." Same with Dad's Army and 'Allo 'Allo! and so many others - the characters were defined by their catchphrases.

So no you are NOT weird, just, it seems, a sucker for the catchphrase technique.

Geek

I'm still enjoying this show as much as I did the radio series.

I know it's not perfect (what is?) and it's not 'edgy' (why would it need to be?) but it is very funny with an incredibly charismatic main character.

I think I've liked Miranda Hart in everything I've seen/heard her in and it's good to see her with her own series.

Quote: LAUGH?NEARLYDIED @ November 24 2009, 11:41 PM GMT

Most people can't share the sentiment because they come on internet forums to carry out daily self massage on their egos. They are insecure and have to try and put others down to look big.

I am guessing Miranda is bigger than you?