Miranda - Series 1 Page 48

She IS funny.
Her "comedy" is so funny.
Her asides to camera are hilarious, and her "falling over" is great too.

Aaron why do you have a video of Mother Theresa's last days dying of Alzheimers and Parkinsons?

Quote: Aaron @ September 9 2011, 12:32 PM BST

Her asides to camera are hilarious, and her "falling over" is great too.

Fair does it is a funny tape.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ September 9 2011, 12:31 PM BST

Thanks for clearing that up for us with your definitive opinion Charlie Boy, wonder what's causing me and my wife to laugh then when we watch the show? Any ideas?

When that happened to me, I discovered there was a spider doing stand up in front of the telly, and his jokes were making me laugh subliminally. "I'm not saying my mother in law is fat; 'cos she'd eat me". Try checking that next time Miranda is on.

The only other reason might be that comedy is subjective, but that's obviously ridiculous.

Quote: Nogget @ September 9 2011, 1:06 PM BST

When that happened to me, I discovered there was a spider doing stand up in front of the telly, and his jokes were making me laugh subliminally. "I'm not saying my mother in law is fat; 'cos she'd eat me". Try checking that next time Miranda is on.

The only other reason might be that comedy is subjective, but that's obviously ridiculous.

:D

Hard to avoid on certain rerun channels at the mo and noticed there was quite a lot I haven't seen, as it got a bit much for me after a good first impression. Its fairly one track humour might not be quite to my taste but you can't say it isn't successful at it, it has a very high gag/funny moment rate, whether you laugh at all the falling over or talking to camera or not, certainly many do, as this proved. And she's clearly good at it.

But now I'm noticing some very good lines that somehow got knocked out of the way by her pratfalling on the first watch, so I have to give it its due. 😬

Hard to believe this kinda fat person pratfall humor found such an audience
I guess the lonely overweight lovelorn middle class white woman brigade was larger than anyone thought.

Well Bridget Jones had already proved there's a huge audience for this sort of thing, and the producers of this went full on down that route, with added bespoke pratfallery for the star of this. But yes the fact it was so targeted at a specific audience is what put me off it after too long, I felt I wasn't the type of viewer it was aimed at.

And although it was good at what it did, it still looks quite manufactured to me, like a lot of US sitcoms do. That's almost certainly the result of team writing, which I'm not a fan of.

Quote: tenbeersbold @ 12th February 2024, 7:16 PM

Hard to believe this kinda fat person pratfall humor found such an audience
I guess the lonely overweight lovelorn middle class white woman brigade was larger than anyone thought.

As a working class, white male I thought it was excellent

And far, far better than most of the utter tripe that makers of British sitcoms were making at that time

It's also one of the last genuinely funny British sitcoms ever made

Although Series 3 wasn't as good as the first two IMO.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 12th February 2024, 7:47 PM

Well Bridget Jones had already proved there's a huge audience for this sort of thing, and the producers of this went full on down that route, with added bespoke pratfallery for the star of this. But yes the fact it was so targeted at a specific audience is what put me off it after too long, I felt I wasn't the type of viewer it was aimed at.

And although it was good at what it did, it still looks quite manufactured to me, like a lot of US sitcoms do. That's almost certainly the result of team writing, which I'm not a fan of.

Same here it felt like it wasn't for me,that's ok I felt the same way about Fleabag
Yeah the 4th wall thing is annoying beyond belief.