Miranda - Series 1 Page 19

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ November 17 2009, 8:51 AM GMT

I enjoyed it more than last week as well, although I would have tweaked a scene or two myself. I just wonder how long they can keep the relationship with her and her bloke going, tho. He's the weak link for me, and that thread's already getting a bit repetitive. They need more stuff like the old French teacher thread, that was a really good one.

She said on Twitter yesterday that those were the only two 'love' episodes like that, and that they were just setting up for the rest of the run.

Quote: EllieJP @ November 17 2009, 9:09 AM GMT

I don't mean the looks thing... believe me I know sense of humour works as a pulling thing.

She's just a very strange woman in the show. The man seems very down to earth and is a chef not a raving looney.

I've seen her on other things and I agree... she is an attractive woman. I'm saying in the show... it's unbelieveable.

It's a little stretched perhaps, but despite his looks he does seem to have a slight 'loner' streak, and it's been clearly set up that he's a little lacking in direction in his life, what with just having fallen into the chef job recently.

Quote: YesNo @ November 17 2009, 9:34 AM GMT

I really can't stand the Stevie character. I know she's just a foil, but she's not very interesting or likeable.

She's not been used all that well so far. I think (hope) there'll be some more of her in the next couple of episodes to see a bit more of the character.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ November 17 2009, 9:47 AM GMT

Also, ever heard the saying opposites attract? I reckon he's as keen on her as she is on him.

Well quite. zooo seems to be interested in my ugly mug, so it could happen the other way around.

Quote: Aaron @ November 17 2009, 1:29 PM GMT

Well quite. zooo seems to be interested in my ugly mug, so it could happen the other way around.

But then, men are much more shallow, two dimensional beasts.

Stevie is so tiny that I fear for her life every time Miranda goes rampaging through the shop.

As for the Miranda / Chef Guy relationship - I agree with a lot of the non-physical comments on here. When the dynamic is usually flipped the other way - loser guy in love with gorgeous girl - the loser guy always does something that the girl finds attractive / pitiable. Whereas Miranda is just marauding around screaming 'impregnate me!'.

The writers need to come up with a storyline that shows Miranda in a different light, if only fleetingly, so we can see some depth to her character.

IMHO.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 17 2009, 1:35 PM GMT

But then, men are much more shallow, two dimensional beasts.

Fair point.

Really enjoyed this week although I do think the show was originally destined for a later slot but nevertheless it was very funny with Miranda's attitude and reaction to sex and the mouthing thing. It does remind me of sitcoms of the past and plays up to that.

I'm not warming to Stevie, she comes off as unlikeable.

Can anyone explain how they got away with using the word 'bollocks' at least twice? Has it now been down-graded thanks to The Sex Pistols?

Maybe the BBC didn't bother watching it before they screened it?

Still very good.

Quote: Aldeem @ November 17 2009, 10:58 AM GMT

I sort of like this. I went to the first radio recording when Alison Steadman was playing the mum, pity they couldn't get her for telly but Patricia Hodge is OK.

I could've sworn it was Patricia Hodge on the radio.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ November 17 2009, 8:44 AM GMT

How long was the recording session, Sean? It looks like it could take a whole day to film that show, because it's quite a busy sitcom. Did they do the whole lot in just one evening?

Yeah, it was just an evening thing. Started I think about 8, ended around 10.20ish.

Like I said before, one of the main reasons I went to the recording was the chance I might hopefully see Sally Phillips as I'm a big fan. As is life, it was an episode she wasn't in.

Back on topic though, I did see that dance routine about 5 times. If I'm honest, after about take 4 there were a few sighs in the audience.

Nevertheless it was good to see an actual sitcom recording for the first time. I've been to shows like QI but it is amazing how all the sets are squashed together. You leave the joke shop and you're in Miranda's flat and if you walk out her flat you end up in the restaurant. It really is a small place to work.

Quote: Sean Prower @ November 17 2009, 5:58 PM GMT

Back on topic though, I did see that dance routine about 5 times. If I'm honest, after about take 4 there were a few sighs in the audience.

No shit. You could not pay me, even if I needed the dollar, to sit in that audience. Still, I concur that it may be a worthy exercise from a technica POV.

The relationship realistic? I did not believe it. For a second.

Quote: jim field @ November 17 2009, 6:32 PM GMT

No shit. You could not pay me, even if I needed the dollar, to sit in that audience.

Wait, I thought you liked this show?

Quote: Chappers @ November 17 2009, 5:25 PM GMT

I could've sworn it was Patricia Hodge on the radio.

Alison did the very first episode, the pilot.

Quote: jim field @ November 17 2009, 6:32 PM GMT

No shit. You could not pay me, even if I needed the dollar, to sit in that audience. Still, I concur that it may be a worthy exercise from a technica POV.

The relationship realistic? I did not believe it. For a second.

I am pretty sure people won't pay you for it Jim, have you had offers? What do you get paid for?

Watched it earlier on iPlayer and was pmsl the whole way through. It's turning into my new favourite TV show already.

Plus Tom Ellis isn't exactly hard to watch really