Miranda - Series 1 Page 12

Quote: ContainsNuts @ November 11 2009, 1:35 PM GMT

The baby stuff in the flat was a good surprise but you knew when she was at the dress shop that the guy would walk past.

I actually thought that bit was quite cleverly set up.

Miranda says something like "If mum walked past right now she'd faint." A lazy punchline would be mum doing precisely that. But mum doesn't, the bloke does, and then mum does. Having your cake and eating it. Worked for me, anyway.

But I agree on your main point. A bloke you're trying to play it cool with catching you in a wedding dress was *very* familiar. Friends, was it?

Quote: Sean Prower @ November 11 2009, 9:27 AM GMT

There are small things from the episode that still stick in my mind, like Patricia Hodge replacing a photograph of Miranda with a cow

That was very funny. But wasn't it a goat? Errr

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 11 2009, 1:41 PM GMT

Yes.

Not reading 12 pages of a sitcom I only watched for 10 minutes.

I thought, it wasn't that bad. It's certainly something you have to be in the mood for, which ironically requires not effort of mood on the viewers part. Just switch your brain off and laugh at the silly lady.

I might give it another try and watch the whole thing, but I probably won't.

Quote: chipolata @ November 11 2009, 10:26 AM GMT

...I wonder if in today's cut-throat media environment, there's enough in Miranda to find an audience?

My guess is that the silent majority are screaming out for this.
My Family's (IMHO) undeserved sucess surely bears this out (any port in a storm etc etc).
The relentless pursuit of the 'edgy' has left huge swathes of the paying public disenfranchised.

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 11 2009, 1:41 PM GMT

Yes it was. This might sound like a sarcastic "sure you did" but I meant to write goat. For some reason I typed cow... :S

So to reiterate: I liked the bit where Patricia Hodge replaced the picture of Miranda with a goat.

And all is well again. :)

Quote: Lazzard @ November 11 2009, 3:45 PM GMT

My guess is that the silent majority are screaming out for this.
My Family's (IMHO) undeserved sucess surely bears this out (any port in a storm etc etc).

This supports an argument that some of us have been making for quite a while about the state of the mainstream channels (BBC One, ITV1) comedy choices. Shows like Miranda and, I would say, We Are Klang (though I don't expect to find many backers on this one) are the type of comedy that should be stuck on in the early post-watershed "vanity" slots on these channels and see how they do. I suspect half of the reason for the success of My Family, for example, is just the fact that it is in a prime-time slot. One of the reasons that writers and indie comedy producers don't tailor shows to fit the pre-watershed slots, is because the networks run a fairly closed shop policy on what they dare put on in these strands.

The BBC seems to be completely risk-adverse when it comes to trying anything which doesn't follow a bland, literally "family set-up" sitcom in a family viewing slot. Some creative programming is desperately needed, a bit of bravery. Oh, and stick I'm Sorry, I've Got No Head into an early evening Saturday slot on BBC One for the whole family to enjoy.

As for ITV1, I know that it seems pretty much accepted that they've given up on pre-watershed sitcom, preferring post-watershed sitcom or (mostly) comedy-drama, but I think that's pretty much a disgrace. I know they've not really got any obligation to public service, but to have just given up on comedy is ultimately pathetic and won't serve them well in the long run.

Quote: Sean Prower @ November 11 2009, 3:58 PM GMT

Yes it was. This might sound like a sarcastic "sure you did" but I meant to write goat. For some reason I typed cow... :S

So to reiterate: I liked the bit where Patricia Hodge replaced the picture of Miranda with a goat.

And all is well again. :)

:) ;)

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ November 11 2009, 1:41 PM GMT

Miranda says something like "If mum walked past right now she'd faint." A lazy punchline would be mum doing precisely that. But mum doesn't, the bloke does, and then mum does. Having your cake and eating it. Worked for me, anyway.

Yep, rather agree with this. There's nothing wrong with predictability, but it has to have a good pay-off at the end. Taking PhoneShop for example (the one script edited by 'comedy god' Ricky Gervais), that has a whole host of predictable set-ups and exchanges, but only one with an even mildly satisfying - let alone amusing - pay-off. That's the real difference between good and bad writing.

Well I'm sure Ricky completely re-writing their script would have gone down really well with them!

Think of it this way, just imagine how bad it may have been BEFORE he script edited it! :)

Quote: Lazzard @ November 11 2009, 3:45 PM GMT

The relentless pursuit of the 'edgy' has left huge swathes of the paying public disenfranchised.

Wave

Sadly, I was talking to a (rather successful) writer about this just last week, and it doesn't seem that things will be changing much any time soon; a couple of shows bridging the gap, but most 'high concept' with a spattering of low-level populist comedy. Whilst channels want the latter, it's not something most producers are interested in: "I produced My Family" doesn't have the same ring around the dinner table that "I produced Spaced" does. Writers tend to be a little more open, but still many sway towards the edgey, if only because it's easier.

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 11 2009, 4:03 PM GMT

The BBC seems to be completely risk-adverse when it comes to trying anything which doesn't follow a bland, literally "family set-up" sitcom in a family viewing slot. Some creative programming is desperately needed, a bit of bravery.

Again, sadly true. And even worse with everyone going out of their way not to offend or to do anything questionable.

Quote: zooo @ November 11 2009, 4:19 PM GMT

just imagine how bad it may have been BEFORE he script edited it!

Much better. ;)

Quote: Aaron @ November 11 2009, 4:25 PM GMT

Much better. ;)

*gets violent on your ass*

Quote: Aaron @ November 11 2009, 4:17 PM GMT

Yep, rather agree with this. There's nothing wrong with predictability, but it has to have a good pay-off at the end. Taking PhoneShop for example (the one script edited by 'comedy god' Ricky Gervais), that has a whole host of predictable set-ups and exchanges, but only one with an even mildly satisfying - let alone amusing - pay-off. That's the real difference between good and bad writing.

I know what you are saying about predictability being done well, maybe a surprise along the way etc, but it was obvious that she would be spotted by the guy and she was. There wasn't much of a pay-off for me.

Didn't see PhoneShop will try and track it down to see how that was done.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ November 11 2009, 5:17 PM GMT

Didn't see PhoneShop

That will probably be because it's not yet been broadcast. (Friday 10pm on C4.)

Some people have seen a preview tape... Rolling eyes

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 11 2009, 6:19 PM GMT

That will probably be because it's not yet been broadcast. (Friday 10pm on C4.)

Some people have seen a preview tape... Rolling eyes

That's just how cool and awesome we are. ;)

Quote: Aaron @ November 11 2009, 4:25 PM GMT

Writers tend to be a little more open, but still many sway towards the edgey, if only because it's easier.

It don't think it's being "edgy" that's so much the issue for writers. Writing funny is difficult, writing unfunny is easy. Edgy is definitely an adjective you'll hear used more often by critics, producers and press officers, than writers.

Quote: zooo @ November 11 2009, 6:27 PM GMT

That's just how cool and awesome we are. ;)

Yes, dear.