Miranda - Series 1 Page 9

Quote: johnny smith @ November 10 2009, 2:53 PM GMT

Seemed very much like Jessica Stevenson's failed BBC sitcom 'According To Bex' - that had cutaways to Jessica/Bex addressing the camera/audience and saying what she really means.

Apart from the fact that Miranda was actually funny. Bex was pretty humour-free, much as I love Jessica Stevenson.

Seemed very much like Jessica Stevenson's failed BBC sitcom 'According To Bex' - that had cutaways to Jessica/Bex addressing the camera/audience and saying what she really means.

Miranda's comments to camera were in a TV Burp-esque aside. According To Bex saw her sat in front of a blackboard, IIRC, and were far longer and more elaborate. Not all that similar really.

I have to admit that after a barrage of unbelievably unfunny and dire BBC sitcoms.....

The Green Green Grass
The 10 millionth series of 'My Family'
After You've Gone
Series 7 and 8 of '2 Pints...'
Grownups
Lab Rats
Clone
Life Of Riley
The Old Guys
Reggie Perrin
(and that isn't inluding sketch shows!)

.....this actually was quite funny in comparison. Yes, some of it was very silly and broad and OTT - but, at times, isn't 'The IT Crowd' as well? (Moss falling into that stack of glasses in 'Work Outing' was bloody hilarious)

Quote: jim field @ November 9 2009, 11:30 AM GMT

This will be garbage.

Quote: jim field @ November 9 2009, 12:30 PM GMT

I listened to the radio show and thought it was garbage.

Quote: jim field @ November 9 2009, 11:26 PM GMT

This was garbage.

Quote: jim field @ November 10 2009, 12:04 AM GMT

Garbage.

Quote: jim field @ November 10 2009, 1:41 AM GMT

Miranda? Garbage.

Quote: jim field @ November 10 2009, 1:48 AM GMT

It is garbage.

But what do you REALLY think Jim?

The big difference is that Jessica Stevenson (regardless of any other talents she may possess) is not funny while Miranda Hart is.

Forget scripts, forget material, forget training, experience and everything else. Unless performers are naturally funny, they will never achieve greatness in the field of comedy. Most of them won't even achieve success.

Quote: shaggy292 @ November 10 2009, 4:17 PM GMT

Laughing out loud

Well you could say that Jessica Stevenson is more suited to contemporary sitcoms because she was great in 'Spaced' (which she co-wrote) and 'The Royle Family'.

Some people do find Jessica Stevenson naturally funny.

Quote: zooo @ November 10 2009, 4:53 PM GMT

Some people do find Jessica Stevenson naturally funny sexy.

Lovey

Quote: shaggy292 @ November 10 2009, 4:17 PM GMT

Laughing out loud

*Claps*

I don't think Jim finds her very attractive - and she doesn't help herself by dancing in her knickers. But in real life she does seem more attractive. at least she's not one of these who loves herself more than anyone else. She is a very caring woman.

Why does it even matter whether or not she's attractive? Dawn French, Jennifer Saunders, Catherine Tate...none are exactly A-list models but nobody cares.

And anyway, I think she's got quite a sweet face. I'd rather look at someone with interesting, expressive features than some Botoxed shiney Barbie Doll like Cheryl f**king Cole.

I think Miranda is attractive - not, perhaps, in a 'Phwoar!' kind of way but apart from being a little on the large side and thus failing to conform totally with out cultural ideals, she's okay by me.

Frankly, I think it's a rather sad that the debate has even moved into the territory of debating the "attractiveness" of Miranda Hart. I appreciate that the majority of the comments are being positive and pointing out that it doesn't really matter one way or another whether one finds her attractive. And I know some might say that the star of this show herself uses her appearance to get laughs, but somehow I don't see this as the same thing. It's one time I'd gladly welcome these sort of comments as being marked "off topic". (Including this one.)

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 10 2009, 9:34 PM GMT

Frankly, I think it's a rather sad that the debate has even moved into the territory of debating the "attractiveness" of Miranda Hart. I appreciate that the majority of the comments are being positive and pointing out that it doesn't really matter one way or another whether one finds her attractive. And I know some might say that the star of this show herself uses her appearance to get laughs, but somehow I don't see this as the same thing. It's one time I'd gladly welcome these sort of comments as being marked "off topic". (Including this one.)

Well said, Tim.