Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle - Series 1 Page 31

I guess that could have been an angle but really the sketch is just bizarre. He's doing a piece on how crap he thinks American standup is and so he chooses to present Bill Hicks as Andrew Dice Clay - thick headed, homophobic, talentless one-trick pony.

Perhaps it was for straight up shock value I'm not sure. Ideas anyone?

Not sure if anyone else linked here yet but if like me you would have taken the wrapper off and at least had a listen here is Franklyn Ajaye in full flow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oki8zLYkilQ

If I can't say something nice about someone I try to say nothing at all...

Whistling nnocently

Quote: Marc P @ April 13 2009, 11:12 PM BST

Thanks, particularly at this time of the year, for your clarification. By goodness we all need to know what truth is now more than ever.

:D Laughing out loud

Quote: Beelzebozo @ April 14 2009, 4:04 AM BST

He's doing a piece on how crap he thinks American standup is

Well, modern American stand up, not American stand up as a whole. In fact he was going on about how they were traditionaly the masters of the stand up art form.

Hilarious episode. I love this series, great standup & Kevin Eldon! I thought he did a great job ripping up American comedians. I particularly enjoyed the jab at Lead Balloon...."to the point where you'd think someone would have been sued".

By the way Franklyn Ajaye was on "Deadwood" as the "you know what" General.

Edited by Aaron.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ April 13 2009, 11:54 PM BST

This week's episode was quite poor. The apple sketch was unfunny and even worse, went on forever.

Come on, that Apple Sketch was fascinating and was straight up 'jazz' comedy, riffing on an idea and of course you had the woman on the trombone following Putner's every move. When Eldon started riding around on Putner's back that was what did it for me. Oh and then him spitting little bits of apple out. :D

But besides from that it was a fantastic Python pastiche, their timing and pronunciation was superb. And the rhyming list of apple names was great.

It was weird but totally engaging.

It was brilliant.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 14 2009, 9:01 AM BST

:D Laughing out loud

Well, modern American stand up, not American stand up as a whole. In fact he was going on about how they were traditionaly the masters of the stand up art form.

Uh huh. So you think it's an illustration of how the best has become the worst?

Quote: Beelzebozo @ April 14 2009, 1:24 PM BST

Uh huh. So you think it's an illustration of how the best has become the worst?

I suppose so. He was saying how great the Americans had been in the past, but that now they were basically rubbish at it.

Quote: Martin H @ April 14 2009, 12:57 PM BST

Come on, that Apple Sketch was fascinating and was straight up 'jazz' comedy, riffing on an idea and of course you had the woman on the trombone following Putner's every move. When Eldon started riding around on Putner's back that was what did it for me. Oh and then him spitting little bits of apple out. :D

But besides from that it was a fantastic Python pastiche, their timing and pronunciation was superb. And the rhyming list of apple names was great.

It was weird but totally engaging.

No. It was over long filler used to stretch a weak episode into a 30 minute run time.

A pastiche of Monty Python? Ooh, look out Stewart Lee with your topical comedy, what next? Riffing on Buster Keaton? Slagging off Laurel and Hardy? Dissing medievel jesters?

I am looking forward to the religion episode - should have Lee back on form then.

Quote: Martin H @ April 14 2009, 12:57 PM BST

Come on, that Apple Sketch was fascinating ... It was weird but totally engaging.

In a "am I really seeing this big steaming turd", "no ... really? This crap is being broadcast?", car-crash-syndrome kind of way, yes.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ April 14 2009, 1:43 PM BST

A pastiche of Monty Python? Ooh, look out Stewart Lee with your topical comedy, what next? Riffing on Buster Keaton? Slagging off Laurel and Hardy? Dissing medievel jesters?

Laughing out loud

It was perfect pastiche to Python, it was obviously a take on the Cheese Sketch, a traditional sketch descending in to the gutter of modern sketches. And it was clearly a development on the whole "jazz comedian" thing, the free jazz form, with which Lee is a big fan of. Why do you think they had to trombonist on?

And Putner lowering himself in to the coffin thing at the end, linked to what Lee was saying about the King in an Ancient burial chamber.

There was a lot going on in the sketch and it was brillianty insane. And as I said, Eldon and Putner's performances were superb.

I suppose you'll have to stick to Al Murray's sketch show from now on though, not as much to digest in that I suppose...

:D

Quote: Martin H @ April 14 2009, 2:20 PM BST

I suppose you'll have to stick to Al Murray's sketch show from now on though, not as much to digest in that I suppose...

:D

That Apple sketch was about the most ridiculous, hilarious thing I have seen on telly in a long, long time. If you didn't find it remotely funny when the trombonist came on (and on... and on...) then there is no hope for you. Lobby the powers that be to show reruns of Terry and June or something, but for God's sake, don't masquerade as being knowledgable about comedy.

Welcome the the board, oh super-judgemental one.

Like it. I didn't think it was funny (on every supposed level) so I must be thick.

I mean what could be funnier then two men smashing up a fake set for 10 minutes whilst a woman pretended to play trombone?

And it had a trombone - a link to 'jazz' comedy - wow, what a deep metaphor.

Do you worship Stewart Lee every Sunday or are there mid week services? Perhaps if you bully me, question my intelligence or lambast me enough, I could change my mind.

But in the immortal words of Richie Cunningham - 'Sit on it Potsie'