Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle - Series 1 Page 30

Oddly enough, the pair of them did a brilliant routine about the differing personalities required for a double act.

What in the name of ...?

Well. I quite fancy an apple now, at least.

Heh, good episode. Liked the apple mental breakdown!

All the stuff with the 'Jazz Comedian' was brilliant.

That apple sketch! Ah, pure joy. :D

That should have been the one to end the series on and it would have been if not for the BBC switching Religion to next week instead.

Really?
I thought that bit was poo.

Quote: zooo @ April 13 2009, 10:41 PM BST

Really?
I thought that bit was poo.

The Monty Python cheese-sketch, as performed by the Two Ronnies via Kevin Eldon and Paul Putner, descending in to utter choas and a woman playing the trombone. What's not to like? :D

Quote: Martin H @ April 13 2009, 10:45 PM BST

What's not to like? :D

The lack of anything funny it?

I forgot this was on! Damn bank holidays and their time warping abilities!

Ok, being a big Bill Hicks fan maybe I'm biased but does anyone think the slagging off Bill Hicks bit was perhaps the result of constantly hearing 'he tries to copy that style but he's nowhere near as good' sort of thing?

Portraying him as an obnoxious homophobe with nothing to say and on a few shots making him look more like Dennis Leary seems like the worst way he thought he could present him.

I have enjoyed this series in parts and it's a shame if the Beeb has bottled out of showing his religion material but truth is he is nowhere near as good as he thinks he is, and he got one of the worst (from his POV best) laugh-at-anything crowds he could have wished for.

Quote: Beelzebozo @ April 13 2009, 10:57 PM BST

but truth is he is nowhere near as good as he thinks he is

Thanks, particularly at this time of the year, for your clarification. By goodness we all need to know what truth is now more than ever.

In my opinion, Stewart Lee is the greatest stand up comedian of the last 15 years. Brilliant observations and brilliant timing/delivery. This show would be perfect if it wasn't for the woeful sketches.

Ok, being a big Bill Hicks fan maybe I'm biased but does anyone think the slagging off Bill Hicks bit was perhaps the result of constantly hearing 'he tries to copy that style but he's nowhere near as good' sort of thing?

Portraying him as an obnoxious homophobe with nothing to say and on a few shots making him look more like Dennis Leary seems like the worst way he thought he could present him.

I have enjoyed this series in parts and it's a shame if the Beeb has bottled out of showing his religion material but truth is he is nowhere near as good as he thinks he is, and he got one of the worst (from his POV best) laugh-at-anything crowds he could have wished for.

He's a Hicks fan. I'm not sure the exact point he was trying to make with that, I thought that sketch was weak. I assume it was more a shot of the height that some people hold Hicks, but like I say I don't think the point was made well or funny.

This week's episode was quite poor. The apple sketch was unfunny and even worse, went on forever.

This is probably the most inconsistent comedy series I've ever watched. Brilliant one week, terrible the next.

Imagine moving a religious programme just because it's Easter. Oh wait, I can imagine that.

http://www.stewartlee.co.uk/press/writtenformoney/1997-march02-bill_hicks-sundaytimes.htm
He's a bit of a fan I think.

Haven't seen the sketch yet but he was probably just trying to tease those obsessive Bill Hicks fans that think he was some sort of prophet cos he said things like "the Gulf War is bad", they tend to be fairly defensive y'see.

Is episode six not gonna be aired? Gonna be on the DVD? Gonna be a DVD?

I found the first four to be okay but terribly off balance, a lot of the jokes worked a lot weaker than they did last summer too. Not really a comedian that's suited to television at all I suppose, delighted it got made though.