Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle - Series 1 Page 26

There was nothing to get - it was utter crap.

You know you are in trouble when you have to say things like 'it's funny precisely because it's so crap' to defend it. Dire.

How refreshing. A show that is provoking intelligent debate. The Kofi Anan joke was deliberate parody of stand-up lame jokes taken to the point where an obviously naff pun can be rendered funny to an audience by hammering away at it.
There is no real snobbery in this show. Stewart Lee is hammering away at the limitations of stand-up comedy as much as he the limitations of us, the audience.
No-one wins, we are all inadequate, including Lee, all he is doing is softening the pill. He is not disrepecting the audience or his fellow (I would say less brave and talented) stand-up colleagues. He is merely pointing out that most of us are limited and second rate.
The brilliance of this episode was to make political correctness ultimately meaningless whatever your take on what it means.

Quote: swerytd @ March 31 2009, 6:37 PM BST

Red button bit for people if they want it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00jmx6y
(in which he does address the intricacies of the Kofi Annan 'gag')

Shame some people don't get it. Though it does seem that the reasons they don't think it's funny, is deliberately why it's funny.

Depends on what one wants from comedy.

Quote: Tim Walker @ March 31 2009, 10:41 PM BST

How refreshing. A show that is provoking intelligent debate. The Kofi Anan joke was deliberate parody of stand-up lame jokes taken to the point where an obviously naff pun can be rendered funny to an audience by hammering away at it.
There is no real snobbery in this show. Stewart Lee is hammering away at the limitations of stand-up comedy as much as he the limitations of us, the audience.
No-one wins, we are all inadequate, including Lee, all he is doing is softening the pill. He is not disrepecting the audience or his fellow (I would say less brave and talented) stand-up colleagues. He is merely pointing out that most of us are limited and second rate.
The brilliance of this episode was to make political correctness ultimately meaningless whatever your take on what it means.

Blimey.

Quote: Aaron @ March 31 2009, 10:56 PM BST

Depends on what one wants from comedy.

Blimey.

Think of me as a Comedy Colenel Kurtz, Aaron. Though I have to go into rehab rather than be slaughtered by Martin Sheen. 12 grand for 8 weeks in Weston-Super-Mare starting on Monday. Still Susan has promised to visit me. Comedy writing time is available.

Shit, it's just been announced that the next episode has been pulled. Apparently the subject matter (the financial crisis) has been deemed too risky by BBC bigwigs in the light of the G20 protests. It's being replaced by a repeat of "Dragon's Den - Where are they Now?". Still unclear whether the rest of the series will play, if ever.

Typical bloody Beeb nowadays. Wimps!

Angry

Reeeaaaaalllly?

Quote: Badge @ April 1 2009, 12:21 AM BST

Shit, it's just been announced that the next episode has been pulled. Apparently the subject matter (the financial crisis) has been deemed too risky by BBC bigwigs in the light of the G20 protests. It's being replaced by a repeat of "Dragon's Den - Where are they Now?". Still unclear whether the rest of the series will play, if ever.

Typical bloody Beeb nowadays. Wimps!

Angry

Blimey Mr. Badge, you're getting the japery in early this year. :D

p.a. Your house is on fire

Spoilsport.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ April 1 2009, 12:48 AM BST

Your house is on fire

Is it? Shit!

Okay, maybe it's just me, but a lot of the deliveries he gives for jokes on Comedy Vehicle are a lot weaker than they are in other places (live/DVDs/that bootleg from last summer). Occasionally dragged out far too long and such. Maybe the 30 minute timeslot is sort of awkward for his comedic pacing?

I like the show overall though.

Edited by Aaron.

Thanks for the DVD utube updates.

I'm probably being a dunce but I've started watching and there's 'wordage' all over both their faces! It's a little off putting.

I tried clicking on it again and now I've lost the wordage but can hear the audio from the the point I was at (approx 5mins) overlayed by it starting from the beginning again. This is even worse.

I feel like an old lady trying to use a mobile phone!

Jx

How refreshing. A show that is provoking intelligent debate.

Quote: Ennie @ March 31 2009, 10:40 PM BST

it was utter crap.

Ha!

Whatever happened to the concept of a comedian making people laugh?

Quote: Maurice Minor @ April 1 2009, 9:34 AM BST

Whatever happened to the concept of a comedian making people laugh?

He does so, lots of people. Me too, unless I'm very much mistaken; but not you. Can you please just not accept that Lee isn't to your taste, but others might enjoy his work? Please? Pretty please . . ?

I see you buckling under the weight of my argument. I'll leave it there then ;)

Exactly.

BTW (more for the fans, than the people who thinks he's all crap and everything), Fist of Fun and TMWRNJ are all available on Stewart's very own website: http://www.stewartlee.co.uk/oldshows.htm

Dan