Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle - Series 1 Page 29

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 11 2009, 12:18 PM BST

Any fan of his will know this already; he even called his last stand up tour '41st Best Stand Up Ever.'

Yes, and chances are it will crop again, seeing as how the last episode in the series is about comedy.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 11 2009, 12:18 PM BST

Any fan of his will know this already; he even called his last stand up tour '41st Best Stand Up Ever.'

Even us non-fans know that. It's been on this thread already. It just tickled me that I tuned into one of these programmes he scorns, to accidentally land on the programme that gave him the rating that amused him, only to find him actually participating in it.

Doubt it amused him. He's probably actually quite bitter.

See, you don't get him at aaaaall. :)

I get 'people'. That's enough.

Quote: zooo @ April 12 2009, 4:04 PM BST

See, you don't get him at aaaaall. :)

Correct.

Because I'm not clever enough to get his brand of high-brow comedy.

He's not bitter, if anything he's in a permanent state of amusement.

Quote: Aaron @ April 12 2009, 4:55 PM BST

Because I'm not clever enough to get his brand of high-brow comedy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmRf1zURNsw

He's not always high brow. ;)

Quote: zooo @ April 12 2009, 5:10 PM BST

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmRf1zURNsw

1990s fashion. Sick

Seems that Richard's being the low-brow one. Can almost see the pain in Lee's face, asking why he has to stoop so low in order to please the brain-dead moronic public.

Still, it was quite funny.

Quote: Aaron @ April 12 2009, 5:26 PM BST

Seems that Richard's being the low-brow one. Can almost see the pain in Lee's face, asking why he has to stoop so low in order to please the brain-dead moronic public.

Still, it was quite funny.

That's how a double act works. Lee played the grumpy, high brow one and Herring played the child-like, low-brow one.

Well, that's how their double act apparently worked. Not double acts.

Quote: Aaron @ April 12 2009, 8:54 PM BST

Well, that's how their double act apparently worked. Not double acts.

I meant double acts work by having one person with a certain type of personality and the other with a differing personality, often the opposite or at least opposing enough to create comic effect.

And there is no 'apparently' about it, that is the basis of Lee & Herring's double act.

Well there clearly is an 'apparently', because that YouTube clip is all I've seen of their double-act; I'm not going to make assertions as to their whole careers together on one 2 minute clip seen the best part of 20 years since they started. If you say that that's what the whole of their work as a duo was like, fine. But I'm not going to. Hence, 'apparently'.