Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle - Series 1 Page 36

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ April 20 2009, 11:56 PM BST

The whole BBC told me not to do line regarding the Muslim dog sketch was laughable in that it was a total lie and cop out.

Well it was obviously a lie but the joke was that any time Muslim jokes are made it is to do with suicide bombers, hence the plane.

Of course Christianity is the going to be the main source of his comedy because that is the religion he is most familiar with.

Quote: Ben @ April 20 2009, 10:31 PM BST

Is it true that people who don't get Stewart Lee are stupid?

Probably - but you can't deny his smugness puts Gervais in the shade.

Quote: Badge @ April 20 2009, 10:32 PM BST

I liked the election/erection confusion.

That was soooooo original.

Funny this week. :)

Quote: Aaron @ April 21 2009, 8:50 PM BST

... If he wants to get facts right, it's not hard to find people who'd be willing to explain and talk to him about it..?

Facts sure that would take a shorter period of time ... but it does take longer to get comfortable with something on a level where you can ridicule it effectively and get to the core of it - for me at least.

Anyway back on topic - I do like that the BBC have uploaded all the Armando Interviews on YouTube but the organization of them is so frustrating.

Quote: thefridaylink @ April 22 2009, 9:45 AM BST

Anyway back on topic - I do like that the BBC have uploaded all the Armando Interviews on YouTube but the organization of them is so frustrating.

I'm finding the interview segments to be much more entertaining than the actual show. The structured Q&A format adds much needed pace and context to proceedings and unlike the stand up, limits Lee from meandering into the realms of self indulgence.

The difference in styles is night and day - Oscar Wilde vs a homeless mental patient ranting to himself on a bus.

What a fantastic end to an utterly brilliant series! But then, I imagine I'm one of that 'niche' audience the official BSG 'review' refers to!

And it had Jerry Sadowitz in it. Jerry bloody Sadowitz on the BBC!

Think we're doing quite well with 'niche' humour at the moment, what with Lee, Charlie Brooker and Armando Iannucci. It's a pity 'the masses' haven't the patience or imagination to appreciate it a little more.

Still, there's always a new series of 'Life of Riley' to look forward to, for you Piss-Lords.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ April 24 2009, 10:43 AM BST

It's a pity 'the masses' haven't the patience or imagination to appreciate it a little more.

Still, there's always a new series of 'Life of Riley' to look forward to, for you Piss-Lords.

Don't be an idiot. Angry

Quote: john lucas 101 @ April 24 2009, 10:43 AM BST

Bring it on!

Eh? What! The end!

Is it just me or did Stewart Lee make the 'funnniest clip on TV' funnier in this series? Not that I wholehartedly agree that 'Del Boy falling through the bar' is neccesarily the funniest thing in the world ever (vol 1) but...

If it was the funniest thing ever thing how great it would have been if the makers of Only Fools etc had realised this at the time. If they had watched the rushes (or whatever they have on TV) and said "that's it, we can do no better, this is the finest moment, the pinnacle of the comic art form!"? This realisation would surely have meant that they could proceed no further with the series and would bring it to an abrupt end rather than allow it to drag its stinking mangled entrails over the following 10 years of TV.
You can buy an Only Fools 10,000 DVD box set housed in a life size Robin Reliant if you are one to revel in petty hatred, in-fighting, sickness and decline.
If (heaven forbid) the BBC/ITV archives were to be burned to the ground leaving no trace of Del Boy's exploits behind the myth of the greatest clip in the world, it would live on through Lee's online content. We will never be free. And now when they show the clip on TV I know that I will laugh in the involuntary way one does when seeing a man fall through a bar (even for the 906th time) and then remembering the tribute given to it on this show laugh even more, making it appear to those around me that I find the clip much funnier than it actually is (and that I'm a bit slow on the uptake).

What kind of sick person would want to do something like this? ...to me.
(Don't get me wrong I like Frost.)

Edited by Aaron.

Quote: mohawk@flickr @ April 27 2009, 2:21 PM BST

Is it just me or did Stewart Lee make the 'funnniest clip on TV' funnier in this series?

Yeah, it's just you.

Laughing out loud

All the red button clips are available here now: http://www.stewartlee.co.uk/slcv-redbutton.htm

Dan

I've enjoyed Stewart Lee's series more than pretty much any stand-up show (made for TV) I've seen in years. An original and intelligent voice in stand-up, where the audience is not treated like a bunch of Pavlovian laugh-receptor monkeys. There is a wonderful use of language, a trait he shares with another favourite, Dylan Moran. (Mark Lamar was an incredibly clever stand-up as well.)

There's an old quote from Jerry Sadowitz (talking about the rise of "alternative" comedy in the 1980s) where he says that "Alexei Sayle opened the doors to the possibilities of stand-up comedy. Then Ben Elton came along and closed them".

I feel that there are very few original voices (especially of prominence) in stand-up comedy. The 1990s increasingly homogenised stand-up into this hackneyed gag-fest. Jimmy Carr is ultimately the new Ben Elton. Stand-up now just seems really limited. A bunch of drones touring the country sharing and adapting the same old tired one and two-liners to audiences who will begin to watch YouTube clips on their mobiles if the comedian dares to develop a comic idea which takes over two minutes to realise. Nothing original to say, because the only life experience they really have is of being on the road, isolated from humanity, chasing the money, re-telling someone's humourous gig-related anecdotes as though they were their own. Until due to slick delivery and a complete willingness to sell-out their last shreds of credibility, they are plucked from the circuit and set-down in a chair on an equally asinine panel show. Where they can continue to spout their facile wit through their smug blow-holes, whilst seeing all but humanity through their dead eyes.

Um...

Quote: Tim Walker @ June 1 2009, 1:08 AM BST

I've enjoyed Stewart Lee's series more than pretty much any stand-up show (made for TV) I've seen in years. An original and intelligent voice in stand-up, where the audience is not treated like a bunch of Pavlovian laugh-receptor monkeys. There is a wonderful use of language, a trait he shares with another favourite, Dylan Moran. (Mark Lamar was an incredibly clever stand-up as well.)

There's an old quote from Jerry Sadowitz (talking about the rise of "alternative" comedy in the 1980s) where he says that "Alexei Sayle opened the doors to the possibilities of stand-up comedy. Then Ben Elton came along and closed them".

I feel that there are very few original voices in stand-up comedy. The 1990s increasingly homogenised stand-up into this hackneyed gag-fest. Jimmy Carr is ultimately the new Ben Elton. Stand-up now just seems really limited. A bunch of drones touring the country sharing and adapting the same old tired one and two-liners to audiences who will begin to watch YouTube clips on their mobiles if the comedian dares to develop a comic idea which takes over two minutes to realise. Nothing original to say, because the only life experience they really have is of being on the road, isolated from humanity, chasing the money, re-telling someone's humourous gig-related anecdotes as though they were their own. Until due to slick delivery and a complete willingness to sell-out their last shreds of credibility, they are plucked from the circuit and set-down in a chair on an equally asinine panel show. Where they can continue to spout their facile wit through their smug blow-holes, whilst seeing all but humanity through their dead eyes.

Um...

*Applauds*

Quote: Tim Walker @ June 1 2009, 1:08 AM BST

I feel that there are very few original voices (especially of prominence) in stand-up comedy. The 1990s increasingly homogenised stand-up into this hackneyed gag-fest. Jimmy Carr is ultimately the new Ben Elton. Stand-up now just seems really limited. A bunch of drones touring the country sharing and adapting the same old tired one and two-liners to audiences who will begin to watch YouTube clips on their mobiles if the comedian dares to develop a comic idea which takes over two minutes to realise. Nothing original to say, because the only life experience they really have is of being on the road, isolated from humanity, chasing the money, re-telling someone's humourous gig-related anecdotes as though they were their own. Until due to slick delivery and a complete willingness to sell-out their last shreds of credibility, they are plucked from the circuit and set-down in a chair on an equally asinine panel show. Where they can continue to spout their facile wit through their smug blow-holes, whilst seeing all but humanity through their dead eyes.

Um...

Careful Tim, it's after midnight and you're starting to rant again...

:)

Well put though!

Dan