Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle - Series 1 Page 35

Quote: Martin H @ April 20 2009, 10:59 PM BST

That was Jerry Sadowitz!

Yeah, I liked that you could see his real hair under the Jim wig. :)

Quote: zooo @ April 20 2009, 10:32 PM BST

NO.

Yes.

Been waiting for the Sadowitz sketch, was great... shame all the others were terrible.

The stand up parts of this show were wonderful though, especially the whole "that's a lie, it makes the joke more relevant" repetition bits

I liked the "Are you being sarcastic?", "... No." bit. It was so childish but really funny.

Quote: Badge @ April 20 2009, 10:28 PM BST

Ooh look out Renegade Carpark with your prophetic words! (apart from the "slagging off" bit)

Shame that sketch wasn't funny though (and it was introduced by Paul Merton). Better then last week's, but not enough venom or insight for my liking. Once again he chose very safe targets for ridicule and hardly pushed the comedy envelope.

I suppose after doing the same stand up routine for 20 years, you lose some of the impetous, sting and energy from when you first spoke those spiteful and anarchic words as an angry and disillusioned young man. Especially as old age, decrepitude and the inevitable cold hand of death creeps slowly and inexorably towards your ageing and dilapidated body. Like with the Rolling Stones.

The whole BBC told me not to do line regarding the Muslim dog sketch was laughable in that it was a total lie and cop out.

The bits that did make me LOL were his Pope Benedict warning stickers - what does that mean? Poison. And the deconstructing of his own material - I've never been to Heathrow, I don't even know what it is, etc.

Aside from the Russell T. Davies style (ie homoerotic) thrill of seeing Kevin Eldon's butt cheeks, the sketches were about as funny as cat AIDS.

Other then that, I enjoyed it. :)

Well having done "vomiting into the gaping anus of Christ" I think he's pushed the envelope enough and can just have fun with various ideas.

He made some really good points about Islam and comedy in the UK - better than most comment I have heard about it.

And I really enjoyed The Jesus Lizard reference.

Quote: Badge @ April 20 2009, 10:32 PM BST

I liked the election/erection confusion.

Now *that*'s satire!

Dan

"God put Richard Dawkins here to test us - like fossils. And facts."

Genius!

Quote: thefridaylink @ April 21 2009, 8:01 AM BST

Well having done "vomiting into the gaping anus of Christ" I think he's pushed the envelope enough and can just have fun with various ideas.

He made some really good points about Islam and comedy in the UK - better than most comment I have heard about it.

And I really enjoyed The Jesus Lizard reference.

I was disappointed on both a comedic and theological level. Every alternative comic can and has done jokes about Christianity, it's old hat. Lee's explanation that we don't know enough about Islam to make jokes is a total lie.

Comics often use perception instead of knowledge to make their funnies, I'm sure very few of them know the most exacting details of the recession or the Hedron Super Collider.

He's got a wife and kid so I understand his aversion to tackling Islamic based material - however, that does negate his 'dangerous' comedy tag.

But where were the gags on Judaism, Hinduism, Buddishm and Kaballah? Honestly, is it too much to ask for one joke about Shintoism?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ April 21 2009, 1:35 PM BST

I was disappointed on both a comedic and theological level. Every alternative comic can and has done jokes about Christianity, it's old hat. Lee's explanation that we don't know enough about Islam to make jokes is a total lie.

Comics often use perception instead of knowledge to make their funnies, I'm sure very few of them know the most exacting details of the recession or the Hedron Super Collider.

He's got a wife and kid so I understand his aversion to tackling Islamic based material - however, that does negate his 'dangerous' comedy tag.

But where were the gags on Judaism, Hinduism, Buddishm and Kaballah? Honestly, is it too much to ask for one joke about Shintoism?

Stewart Lee makes jokes about what he wants to, he doesn't have to tackle Islam if he doesn't feel like it. Plus he did the bit with the plane which was pretty dangerous.
However, there was a great subtext to the episode that some people may have missed. He was using the episode to explain that his jokes aren't factual or true but for the purpose of comedy he's telling them as if they were. Just like jokes about religion shouldn't be seen as a direct slur or representation of a comic's actual view, but rather about the comedian finding humour in something. Hence the Laurel and Hardy sketches that suddenly were risqué if the characters were wearing religious clothing.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ April 21 2009, 5:19 PM BST

Stewart Lee makes jokes about what he wants to, he doesn't have to tackle Islam if he doesn't feel like it. Plus he did the bit with the plane which was pretty dangerous.
However, there was a great subtext to the episode that some people may have missed. He was using the episode to explain that his jokes aren't factual or true but for the purpose of comedy he's telling them as if they were. Just like jokes about religion shouldn't be seen as a direct slur or representation of a comic's actual view, but rather about the comedian finding humour in something. Hence the Laurel and Hardy sketches that suddenly were risqué if the characters were wearing religious clothing.

In other words, comedians make up jokes. Hardly the most profound of statements from Mr. Lee.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ April 21 2009, 7:04 PM BST

In other words, comedians make up jokes. Hardly the most profound of statements from Mr. Lee.

I agree and he shouldn't have to either, but it's evident that lots of people who react so drammatically to anything to do with humour and religion don't get that.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ April 21 2009, 1:35 PM BST

But his point was valid. I've studied a fair amount of theology in my time and most jokes I've heard on non-Christian religions are totally lacking in subtly and depth. It's not just knowledge it's familiarity. Lee and Herring could parody Jesus or tales about Good Samaritans/The Prodigal Son because we are all familiar with them ... but anything beyond "Buddha is fat" is unfamiliar to most. In the commentary for Religulous, Bill Maher and Larry Charles discuss this towards the end. That is why it has take Chris Morris years to research Four Lions.
For jokes about Shintoism try some Juzo Itami films - I think there are a few gags in O-Soushiki and maybe Daibyonin - both of which are excellent anyway.

Quote: thefridaylink @ April 21 2009, 8:19 PM BST

That is why it has take Chris Morris years to research Four Lions.

Ex-squeeze me? How does it follow through that the public's religious ignorance means that he has to spend "years" researching it? If he wants to get facts right, it's not hard to find people who'd be willing to explain and talk to him about it..?

But this probably shouldn't be in this thread really.

Quote: thefridaylink @ April 21 2009, 8:19 PM BST

But his point was valid.

No, it wasn't. Stewart Lee is a cowardly custard who went plop plops in his pants when faced with saying anything about Islam.

Now that is sophisticated humour. :P