Not Going Out - Series 3 Page 48

Was that the first ever episode with no Lee/Tim bar scene?

Quote: Lindyloop @ March 7 2009, 9:18 AM GMT

Was that the first ever episode with no Lee/Tim bar scene?

Nah, don't think so... was it? Nah, don't think so. Did I say that already? Huh?

So... Lee wrote the "Speech" episode all on his lonesome? If he did, I think he did a pretty good job.

Quote: Rustle T Davis @ March 7 2009, 9:35 AM GMT

Nah, don't think so... was it? Nah, don't think so. Did I say that already? Huh?

So... Lee wrote the "Speech" episode all on his lonesome? If he did, I think he did a pretty good job.

Well, with about 7 other gag writers too I guess.

I think it would have been a more satisfying finish if Lee had at some point actually vocalised the realisation that "of course they'd find Tim's jokes funnier; he's just as boring as they are", but it was still another good episode.

Question is, was that a 'stunt bum'?

I enjoyed it but I just think the show really works best when Lee and Tim drive the storyline.

Quote: Aaron @ March 7 2009, 11:29 AM GMT

I think it would have been a more satisfying finish if Lee had at some point actually vocalised the realisation that "of course they'd find Tim's jokes funnier; he's just as boring as they are", but it was still another good episode.

Nah that would have been treating the audience as dumb, "Hey this is why they are laughing at Tim's jokes everyone, didn't you realise?!" type of thing.

I enjoyed that episode a lot more than the last two. The 'Sémillon' joke was inspired! Laughing out loud

Best episode in the last few weeks for me. I loved the oversized dartboard. They found a reason to have the door wide open! :)

Quote: Aaron @ March 7 2009, 11:29 AM GMT

Question is, was that a 'stunt bum'?

Probably.

They should have closed it when they left though.*

*God, I can't believe I'm talking about that bloody door.

Quote: Nick @ March 7 2009, 10:40 AM GMT

Well, with about 7 other gag writers too I guess.

I know there's usually a team of writers, but this morning, only Lee's name was listed on the "Speech" episode information on this very site. Cool

The information's now up to date. :)

I think "Winner" is my winning episode of this series - only one more to go (not counting the Christmas Special). Teary

Quote: Martin H @ March 7 2009, 3:35 PM GMT

Nah that would have been treating the audience as dumb, "Hey this is why they are laughing at Tim's jokes everyone, didn't you realise?!" type of thing.

Depends on how it would have been executed. Obviously not as plain a statement as I made, which certainly would have been ... well, it wouldn't have gelled anyway. But yeah, I see your point.

Quote: Rustle T Davis @ March 7 2009, 5:40 PM GMT

I think "Winner" is my winning episode of this series - only one more to go (not counting the Christmas Special). Teary

As I understand it, there are two episodes left and no Christmas special (as yet).

Quote: Aaron @ March 8 2009, 3:09 AM GMT

Depends on how it would have been executed. Obviously not as plain a statement as I made, which certainly would have been ... well, it wouldn't have gelled anyway. But yeah, I see your point.

I think they gave us a big hint with the gag where Lee said "What kind of person wants to listen to this?" and Tim says "Ssh, this is interesting". So it was clear that these are Tim's kind of people. :D

Hi, I'm new here - found this site actually by looking for stuff about NGO.

It's interesting seeing some of the comments on it. Personally I love it. I caught Series 1 and bits of the second one but I'm glad it's back. Quick-fire gags are refreshing compared to a lot of other stuff about now. Lee Mack is very good - the radio show and Would I Lie To You? are excellent too. There's quite an old fashioned, deprecating humour in a lot of NGO - a bit of old school insulting. Nice!

There is something that bugs me a little about this series though: it seems to stutter a bit. Each episode seems to have pauses/silences and flat spots. It's almost as if the actors are consciously waiting for the audience to stop laughing before continuing. I know that sounds utterly obvious, but watch a Dad's Army or Fawlty Towers episode and the speech seems to roll with the laughs more easily. In this they seem to stand there stock still, wait for the laugh to subside, then come out with the next gag. Dad's Army for example would use slow-burn reactions and double-takes to fill in - or occasionally carry on and repeat words that were lost under laughter. I'm not sure what it is in NGO - maybe it could possibly speed up a bit and be a bit tighter...?

That said, I think it's the best thing on at the mo, lets hope they keep it up.

Quote: Martin H @ March 7 2009, 3:35 PM GMT

The 'Sémillon' joke was inspired! Laughing out loud

The 'Sémillon' joke was first heard on I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue - Samantha was disappointed that one of her gentlemen friends, who had an extensive wine cellar, invited her round one evening but only had a Sémillon. Whistling nnocently

Edited by Aaron.

I liked the episode - Barbara works well, Sally Bretton is so much better than last year, there were some very clever gags and the narrative was pretty effective, but there were a few points which bothered me:

1) Tim being treated as not funny, whereas the speech writing plot would seem like a natural for his punning artistry.

2) The rivalry between Tim and Lee was a bit weird from Tim's angle: it seemed more like he was a rival suitor than a brother to Lucy.

3) In the same vein, Tim's non-reaction to Lucy's announcement she wasn't wearing any underwear, and his gawking at the Ultimate Revelation also struck me as particularly un-brotherly behaviour.

Finally, why didn't Sally Bretton just go full-frontal and Brazilian in the climax? It's post-watershed, what harm could it possibly have done?

I'm so naughty...

Whistling nnocently

Quote: swerytd @ March 5 2009, 3:00 PM GMT

But they do come here out of choice. Andrew/Dave/Lee (apparently does read according to his interview on this here site) don't have to come here to see how things are going?

True enough. I usually approach public forums about comedy with trepidation, as they rarely exhibit the level of general enthusiasm and, yes, analysis, as this one. Comedy fans can be passionate. This is only to be encouraged, even if that passion sometimes strays into passive-aggression (you should see some of the emails I get about the podcast). I am a comedy fan, always have been, I grew up on 70s sitcoms, Charlie Caroli, Carry Ons, Tony Hancock albums and Norman Wisdom films. This was my education. I would have loved the Internet to have been invented so I could converse with fellow fans at that time.

However, when you've played a part in creating something for TV, it's hard not to feel initially defensive when somebody doesn't like it. Clearly, not everybody's going to like it. We all know that. Only 3.5 million (or thereabouts) actually seem to watch it*. But if a comment has been made that I feel misrepresents me, or the sitcom, I feel compelled to join in.

I know you know I follow these boards, but that never stops anybody speaking their mind. Nor should it. I don't need smoke blowing up my arse. I like a dialogue.

*Actually, Sky+ and iPlayer views are not logged along with the "overnight" viewing figures, and we have split the vote a bit with the Monday repeat, but we're still lagging behind The Green Green Grass and Life Of Riley, so we must be doing something right!

Quote: Andrew Collins @ March 9 2009, 11:27 AM GMT

*Actually, Sky+ and iPlayer views are not logged along with the "overnight" viewing figures, and we have split the vote a bit with the Monday repeat, but we're still lagging behind The Green Green Grass and Life Of Riley, so we must be doing something right!

Yeah, yeah, Andrew... but you didn't tell us if it was a stunt bum or not! Really loving the series, and if you want a bit of good dialogue can I recommend the novel Hard Evidence!

:D