Horne & Corden Page 4

Quote: chipolata @ March 4 2009, 11:15 AM GMT

I said populism. :)

It's high brow granted, but still populism!

:D

Quote: NickTheDon @ March 4 2009, 11:35 AM GMT

I'm looking forward to this. I hope it's good. I love James Corden, I like his confidence in himself. I wouldn't dismiss it as arrogance.

People have the same problem with Ricky Gervais. They don't seem to be able to separate confidence and pretend arrogance from actual arrogance. Whenever Gervais is "arrogant" their is always someone who gets up the arse about it. Jealousy.

Quote: Lord Meldrum @ March 4 2009, 11:49 AM GMT

People have the same problem with Ricky Gervais. They don't seem to be able to separate confidence and pretend arrogance from actual arrogance. Whenever Gervais is "arrogant" their is always someone who gets up the arse about it. Jealousy.

It's fascile to dismiss everybody who criticises somebody as being jealous of them. Apart from people who criticise me. Who clearly are jealous.

The reason I hate Corden is that I saw him on a panel show (8 Out Of 10 Cats?) and every time someone made a joke he would laugh stupidly obnoxiously and loudly and just over the top. That's just not on because he steals somebody else's laugh then and he has done nothing to deserve it. Ok, it might have been funny if he did it once, but he did it for the duration of the show at almost every joke!

Quote: Chris Forshaw @ March 4 2009, 12:57 PM GMT

Corden would laugh stupidly obnoxiously and loudly and just over the top. That's not on because he steals somebody else's laugh then and he has done nothing to deserve it.

***The sound of Corden objecting to Chris' point by laughing loudly, stupidly, and obnoxiously until the thread drops off the front page***

I blame the Beeb for stubbornly not releasing the highlights from this show in the teasers. ;)

At least Corden's got a thick skin.

Not that I wish to upset the lovely Mathew(sic) Stott, but this does look exceedingly poor. I don't really know Corden and Horne as I don't watch Gaven and Stacey, but I'm sure they're a pair of fine actors.

However, every single clip / trailer / teaser I've seen of this new series has been very disheartening.

I'm sure fans of Corden and Horne (Cordies and Hornies?) will find this programme amusing. Unfortunately, I suspect that this will rate highly on the shit-o-meter.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 4 2009, 10:50 AM GMT

I don't think any of us have seen enough to make a proper judgement on this side of his career, his sketch show hasn't even been broadcast yet. Though I don't imagine when it is it'll change anyones minds! Like I say, it could well be rubbish, but I'll wait and see.

I believe I said "stage performances" e.g. Secret Policeman's Ball etc. He tends to do stuff like the dancing, which feels like it's saying
"Looking at me I'm being silly and having fun and it's great 'cos I'm famous."

I suppose that's quite like Val Doonican or Freddie Starr.

But real comedy performers (or at least enjoyable ones) play defined characters; e.g. Corden (in Gavin and Stacey), Eddie Izzard, Fry and Laurie and The Chuckle Brothers.

Quote: sootyj @ March 4 2009, 5:14 PM GMT

I believe I said "stage performances"

I believe you are half right; you actually said :

"How ever his sketch comedy and stage performances reak of lazy populism."

The reason I hate Corden is that I saw him on a panel show (8 Out Of 10 Cats?) and every time someone made a joke he would laugh stupidly obnoxiously and loudly and just over the top. That's just not on because he steals somebody else's laugh then and he has done nothing to deserve it. Ok, it might have been funny if he did it once, but he did it for the duration of the show at almost every joke!

Err, I think you'll find that that is just his laugh. Perhaps you should be blaming the producer and editor for not toning him down a bit in post.

I can't stand these two. A valued opinion I'm sure you'll furiously masturbate over, for many days to come (pun intended).

Sketch comedy not sketch show. He did an earlier sketch project. Do you ever tire of being wrong? That said his new sketch show looks poor. Maybe they're saving the good stuff for Christmas?

Quote: sootyj @ March 4 2009, 7:03 PM GMT

Sketch comedy not sketch show. He did an earlier sketch project. Do you ever tire of being wrong?

Wrong about what? You claimed to have said one thing, I pointed out what you actually said, job done; no need to get your nose out of joint.

I know Horne has been involved in sketch comedy before of course, if that's who you mean; I've no idea if Corden has.

Now don't get your oversized knickers in a twist.

At least you don't have to listen to the Lesbian Vampire Killers trailer all day, like I have to do at work.

I remember him doing that on another show, and can see how it would irritate. I put it down to nerves and/ or too much Red Bull though, rather than arrogance. He seems far more relaxed in familiar territory, ie his own shows.