Life Of Riley - Series 1 Page 2

That's rich, Mr 'School Of Comedy'. You really shouldn't have skipped class.

Anyway, 18/19 would have been more my guess.

Quote: Aaron @ January 8 2009, 8:20 PM GMT

That's rich, Mr 'School Of Comedy'. You really shouldn't have skipped class.

Anyway, 18/19 would have been more my guess.

Are we in Writer's Discussion? No, then knock it on the head. I like you Aaron, but you can't use the fact I've written for the telly as a stick to beat me with.

This is a bad show. At least AYG had some decent performances and the occasional half-decent line.

How this got made I'll never know. I'm sure many writers could do something about a family that was funny given the chance, yet this gets comissioned. Embarrassing.

No one likes me, that's why I've got nothing to lose and can say what I like!

ANYWAY.

Uneven episode. Some of it was quite flat, but I did laugh out loud on a number of occasions. And I must disagree with zooo on the predictability. I immediately dislike the daughter, but Ted is brilliant. He's going to be the star of the show.

Overall, I found it to be very enjoyable. A promising start.

Was Caroline Quentin sick at the time of filming though? She sounded a little odd.

Quote: Aaron @ January 8 2009, 8:35 PM GMT

No one likes me, that's why I've got nothing to lose and can say what I like!

He literally *just* used the words 'I like you'.
Silly sausage.

That's what I was replying to. Hah.

Christ that was dire.

How the Beeb can give the green light to another family f**king sitcom that strives to do nothing different, that targets the teen demographic with pathetically dumbed-down Inbetweeners-rip-off colloquialisms, that seems to simply let over-acting and dud jokes roll through any form of screening, especially given the abject failure of similarly desperate predecessors like According To Bex or Mad About Alice, is about as far beyond me as the reason why anyone would make this type of comedy following the brilliance of Outnumbered.

The baby was far and away the best character. Its expression was the perfect blend of "this is a career killer" and "like hell this is ever going on my cv." Ted was abysmal.

It was... terrible.

It's the bane of regional broadcasting. This was produced by BBC Scotland, therefore keeping up the tag of 'regional', even though there was nothing regional in the show. (And look at the producer, Catherine Bailey. Has her name three times in the end credits. Tell me she's not a high up.)

The same rules got us Red Dwarf, so it's not an awful system.

So, really, we should be blaming unfunny Scots... I'm just sayin'.

I thought this was brilliant! Original, inspired, packed with funny lines and characters. This is exactly the sort of thing the BBC should be making and putting on at 8pm against The Bill. I shall gladly sell major organs in order to be able to afford the eventual DVD release. Caroline Quentin is the funniest woman on telly since that one in Seinfeld. Well done the BBC! You are excellent!

*Actually, I haven't seen this. It looked f**king shit in the previews and I think I know by now whether or not I'm going to be wasting my time*

Agree with you john lucas. Life Of Riley distils the essence of classic sitcom writing to produce a chortle-packed half hour that nonetheless manages to present as yet undiscovered insights into the intriguing world of middle-class suburban family life. Why the blazes hasn't this been done before??? Perhaps I should consider a thesis...

Admittedly I haven't seen it either, but it's hard not to get swept up in all the excitement

Ok, let's keep 'reviews' to those people who actually bothered to watch it please.

That very well may be.

I thought it was alright. Quite stilted in places but it's a first episode. I did laugh out loud more than once and it was pleasantly mildly comic and kept me entertaining. It's not ground-breaking but I'll keep watching.

Re: Catherine Bailey. Isn't it produced by Catherine Bailey Productions? So, you'd expect to see her name somewhere!

:)

Dan

Not bad but not brilliant there were some good bits but I found it highly unbelieveable that the girl was still at school.

I watched it last night.

I liked it :)
Will definitely tune in next week

I was expecting it to be bad but its wasn't as bad as I thought. I liked the preg. kit twists but I thought there was too many sub-plots and it lost its way at the end with the daughter's sacking/job at the zoo situation coupled with Ted's new love interest in the shop. I thought it was a bit too much.

Also, I didn't like the husband being totally convinced that his wife was pregnant just because he found 'her' pregnancy kit. But I did like the twist that she milked it for favours. Basically, not something I can see myself watching much more and I didn't think it was consistent in laughs or structure.