Treason Show - USE THIS THREAD PLEASE Page 4

Anyone know how it went down?

I'll be going to the 28th Nov show, so I'll let you know. :)

What song is it?

Cheers. It's the Doggy in the Window/White House Puppy one-posted it somewhere

OK, I'll let you know what the reaction is to it.

Although, like smeone said earlier, it doesn't get a huge crowd at the Worthing show.

Quote: John Kelly @ October 17 2008, 11:49 PM BST

I'm not really a gag writer, but here's a couple they've used in the past:

Barack Obama's team is said to be increasingly concerned about recent revelations that he is related not only to George Bush but Dick Cheney. A spokesman said, "Barack could just about cope with Bush, but he's finding Dick a lot harder to swallow."

One-two-three [click fingers] And I'm back.

John, last night I was browsing and catching up on the current threads and posts and came across yours above,(came across? err... fell across! Fell across!) And laughed like a drain. Seriously I think that was too good for the News Revue, (I'm not dissing NR) - just that it's worthy of being sold direct to the edgy stand-ups. I reckon you'd get a three figure sum for that alone. It's that good. I laughed so hard, I thought: bet it brought the house down when it was first laid on the audience; was anybody there when it was performed? I bet it did.

So, today I relayed that gag individually, and separately, (so they couldn't influence the others), to a couple of guys at work and one flirty Becky-from-Corrie-type-girl. And the response was the same, they filled their lungs with laughter and roared - it went down a storm! A 100% hit rate. They were still laughing about it, that they couldn't concentrate on my trying to hit them with something else I read on the forum, so I gave up.

Sheesh! Talk about "I'm not really a gag writer":

WELL YOU ARE NOW!

Quote: Danny K @ November 27 2008, 6:48 PM GMT

One-two-three [click fingers] And I'm back.

John, last night I was browsing and catching up on the current threads and posts and came across yours above,(came across? err... fell across! Fell across!) And laughed like a drain. Seriously I think that was too good for the News Revue, (I'm not dissing NR) - just that it's worthy of being sold direct to the edgy stand-ups. I reckon you'd get a three figure sum for that alone. It's that good. I laughed so hard, I thought: bet it brought the house down when it was first laid on the audience; was anybody there when it was performed? I bet it did.

So, today I relayed that gag individually, and separately, (so they couldn't influence the others), to a couple of guys at work and one flirty Becky-from-Corrie-type-girl. And the response was the same, they filled their lungs with laughter and roared - it went down a storm! A 100% hit rate. They were still laughing about it, that they couldn't concentrate on my trying to hit them with something else I read on the forum, so I gave up.

Sheesh! Talk about "I'm not really a gag writer":

WELL YOU ARE NOW!

Gosh, Danny, you've really cheered me up. Having recently been on a gag-writing course and then writing gags for 118 118 and Newsrevue with nil response, I was feeling more than ever I was wasting my time.

I didn't see this done at Newsrevue but it only stayed in the running order for a week, so I guessed it didn't go down that well. I saw it at Treason in front of a small audience in Worthing. It got a ripple of applause but nothing special, and it didn't get used in the main Brighton show. I must admit I was disappointed at the time, as I felt it worked pretty well.

So thanks for the boost. Having got two running orders today with nothing in either, you made me feel loads better.

Quote: John Kelly @ November 27 2008, 9:37 PM GMT

*Gosh, Danny, you've really cheered me up. . .

**...it only stayed in the running order for a week, so I guessed it didn't go down that well. I saw it at Treason in front of a small audience in Worthing. It got a ripple of applause but nothing special, and it didn't get used in the main Brighton show...

* You're welcome.

** Maybe because it was delivered in a voice-over only, performance - As I implied, I delivered it to some work colleagues almost akin to that of a stand-up and it hit the spot every time because they could see my face rather than listen to some disembodied voice. It would be ideal IAMO for the likes of Graham Norton/Alan Carr or a Frankie Boyle type of stand-up - or even the milder, Rory Bremner.

Hiya,
OK, I went to the Worthing show last night. I enjoyed it.

There were about 80 - 90 people there.

It was sooooooo cool to see my two sketches get performed.
What a buzz! :)

And I got good laughs in both of them. :)
The cast actually started creasing up with laughter during my Bond sketch, which got more laughs! lol

Rob, your White House doggy song was well received...
(although the girl's broad Chicago-style American accent made it hard to catch some words)

In fact, all the skeches/songs got good laughs.

There was a good crowd in.

Congratulations, Mikey.

But go to Brighton next time. If it's full, as it has been recently, and you've got over 250 people laughing at your stuff, it really is a buzz.

Quote: Mikey J @ November 29 2008, 6:04 PM GMT

...And I got good laughs in both of them. :)
The cast actually started creasing up with laughter during my Bond sketch, which got more laughs! lol...

Congarts there Mikey. Years ago, that happened to one of my sketches that was filmed for ITV - but, unlike yours, not because the cast were enjoying the script. Nooo...

In fact, out-takes of several writers sketches that went wrong, (or in my case where the performers corpsed at 'unsayable' lines), were shown at the end of the series and mine got far bigger laughs than the 'original' finished version. I think the actors strung it out though, as time and time again, they just couldn't, just couldn't, make there mouths form their lips to say my lines. The audience were roaring at the faces the actors were pulling in their attempts to get through their lines, which were unmistakable: 'Who the f**k writes shit like this?' As, staying in character, they moon-eyed each other as if to say: 'You can't speak it without lisping and covering the person opposite in spittle' - the audience empathised with them totally, as the actors corpsed and corpsed again, it became unbearable - even I was in stitches.

I Like to think they were linguistically challenged as I could say the lines no problemo. And if they weren't beforehand, I think they were left with physiological speech impediments for life after that experience.

hah. :) I suppose it's best to do read throughs of scripts, to avoid any corpsing or unsayable lines.

And yeah... I WILL check out the Brighton venue when I can. :)

Any one going to the best of the year show tomorrow? Is there a post show piss up? Any one going to that?

Quote: sootyj @ December 29 2008, 6:30 PM GMT

Any one going to the best of the year show tomorrow? Is there a post show piss up? Any one going to that?

I'm hoping to go tonight. Maybe see you there. I don't think the post-show thing is going ahead, as apparently there wasn't much interest, but I may be wrong.

I think most people have plans for these few evenings. i.e. visiting family, New Years Eve, going to the park and flashing, etc.

They should say in November "hey guys, let's all meet at the end of December."
Then maybe we'd all be there.

I had a sketch in the December show, and as a Brucie bonus, think it made the end of the year show (I'm on the list for two december shows anyway...). It was a location, location, location spoof...

Would be interested to know how it was received, as I couldn't make it dahn south.

Quote: willie garvin @ December 30 2008, 3:04 PM GMT

I had a sketch in the December show, and as a Brucie bonus, think it made the end of the year show (I'm on the list for two december shows anyway...). It was a location, location, location spoof...

Would be interested to know how it was received, as I couldn't make it dahn south.

December's unusual, as they have a show at the beginning of the month, and another "best of year" show at the end. As far as I know, the "best of year" show running order hasn't been sent out yet. I didn't go to the early December show, but will look out for your sketch tonight.