Red Dwarf to return Page 6

Quote: Aaron @ August 28 2008, 12:22 PM BST

I have to say that from what I've read to date, the Dave story makes most sense, and Mark's post only adds to that. Pity, because I loathe those programmes.

Whos to say they both aren't true though
;)

Like I said, I'm sure the forthcoming announcement will be pleasing......

To return to the topic... if this is for real it's the best sitcom news I've heard in a long time.

I personally was not unduly put off by the 'Kochanski period' and thought that the last couple of series were fully up to previous expectations.

My only worry is that reprises like this rarely make the grade. The problem is that everyone has a slightly different memory of what appeals about a given series and writers often pursue the false god of clever, new scenarios and plots when penning sequels.

To ensure maximum connection with the past 'cult' audience, the writers will have to concentrate on essence rather than detail.

The spirit of Red Dwarf came from the hoplessness of the situation. Lister was three million miles from earth and forced to spend it with the one person he wouldn't want to spend it with. A thick ship's computer. A new lifeform that is more interested with what's the mirror and an amiable robot which in all reality is the most normal one on the ship because he doesn't pretend to anything else. When they bought to ship back with all its crew in tha later series it just was a cop-out. As I mentioned in my reply to the prospect of making another OFAH they Sullivan had just run out of situations to put those same characters in. I think that happened with Red Dawrf

If they lost the ship again then go for it. I'd even put up with Kochanski!

"It's an errrrrrrrrrrrrr."

Great news.

I am a big fan of Red Dwarf and I hope this brings a proper end to the series.

Also hope Rimmer is the focal point of the episode.

Spot on Spagett.

Didn't the final episode of series 8 finish with the words: The End ......................... the smeg it is!

I know a writer who know Danny John-Jules. I'll try to get some information on this from him.

Quote: The Rook @ September 7 2008, 7:56 PM BST

If they lost the ship again then go for it. I'd even put up with Kochanski!

I think that would be the best thing to do. Or at the very least make sure all the revived crew are dead by the end of it. I think having the series come full circle would be a nice way to finish it off.

I just want there to be a proper ending so we can put it to bed to be honest.

I am a big Dwarf fan but I think the quality was declining back in 1999 so god knows what it will be like now.

As I said as long as Rimmer is the focus of the episode I will be happy. I like the others too, I don't have a problem with Kochanski, but Rimmer is DA MAN.

Is it wrong to see certain traits of myself in him?

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 8 2008, 8:14 PM BST

I know a writer who know Danny John-Jules. I'll try to get some information on this from him.

While your at it, find out if he was ever charged with attacking that bin man with a knife.

Quote: chipolata @ September 10 2008, 1:40 PM BST

While your at it, find out if he was ever charged with attacking that bin man with a knife.

Yeah, that'll be tactful.

Any more news on this yet?

I would have thought there'd be a few whispers if shooting was due to start next month.

Had a chat with my mate. Apparently the DVD special will be a testing ground for the demand for a proper movie production.

Details from The Guardian:

UKTV Gold will be rebranded as GOLD, which stands for "go on, laugh daily", with four new episodes of Red Dwarf featuring a mix of new material and archive as its centre point marking the comedy's 20th anniversary.

Meanwhile UKTV shows for Channel Dave officially announced today include Argumental and a gadget show called Batteries Not Included, the latter of which will be presented by... John Cleese!

Quote: Mark @ September 17 2008, 7:11 PM BST

Details from The Guardian:

Meanwhile UKTV shows for Channel Dave officially announced today include Argumental

Ooh, with Sue Perkins and Richard Herring. :)