Red Dwarf to return Page 4

Yeah, but I wouldn't imagine they'd just get rid of her without closure on the character. Let's say she's in it, just to get used to it, then if she isn't it'll be a bonus.

Quote: zooo @ August 26 2008, 10:45 PM BST

I would have thought they'd do everything they could to make a good job of it. And they can't possibly not know that everyone hated her.

But the writer, cast, director etc. didn't hate her so I doubt they would just get rid of her now. They did it to Hattie once though so you never know.

But they know the audience hated her, and they want to make money, not friends, surely.

It's not as if she was in it from the start, there can't be that much loyalty there.

I think she gets unfairly blamed for the many other short falls in the series.

- The jail idea was shit, so every episode felt the same.
- Awful CGI.
- Terrible supporting vast (mainly Max from EastEnders and the appalling Ricky Grover)
- Krtyen became a snivelling bore.
- Cat had nothing to do and became an appalling characature.
- Rimmer lost his edge because he's now alive.
- The crew coming back has killed the 'last human' premise.
- Terrible scripts - Naylor lapses into 'sitcom speak' which is clunky.
- The awesome model shots went.
- Holly was just an excuse to be given terrible jokes that made him go from acerbic like in the early days, to a total idiot.
- In fact most of the characters have been betrayed in terms of personality.

Annett is about 0.5% of the show's problems.

Series VII on the other hand was just lots of nice sci-fi premises and not much else.

Oh and Paul Alexander shouldn't be allowed near TV ever again.

Yeah, I always loved the long opening shot of Red Dwarf, then it went all.. *searches brain for appropriate word*...... shit!

You're right about Cat, Rimmer & the crew too.

Quote: Seefacts @ August 26 2008, 11:10 PM BST

I think she gets unfairly blamed for the many other short falls in the series.

- The jail idea was shit, so every episode felt the same.
- Awful CGI.
- Terrible supporting vast (mainly Max from EastEnders and the appalling Ricky Grover)
- Krtyen became a snivelling bore.
- Cat had nothing to do and became an appalling characature.
- Rimmer lost his edge because he's now alive.
- The crew coming back has killed the 'last human' premise.
- Terrible scripts - Naylor lapses into 'sitcom speak' which is clunky.
- The awesome model shots went.
- Holly was just an excuse to be given terrible jokes that made him go from acerbic like in the early days, to a total idiot.
- In fact most of the characters have been betrayed in terms of personality.

Annett is about 0.5% of the show's problems.

Series VII on the other hand was just lots of nice sci-fi premises and not much else.

Oh and Paul Alexander shouldn't be allowed near TV ever again.

*applauds* Completely, completely!

Quote: Nil Putters @ August 26 2008, 11:15 PM BST

Yeah, I always loved the long opening shot of Red Dwarf, then it went all.. *searches brain for appropriate word*...... shit!

You're right about Cat, Rimmer & the crew too.

The model shots are quite simply stunning.

Utterly beautiful. It's such a shame they went.

I definitely agree it wasn't just Kochanski's fault that those series' sucked.

But for me even if everything else had been on top form she still would have ruined it.

Got to agree with Seefacts. The problem was not Chloe Annet joining, it was Rob Grant leaving.

While we're on the subject, what's everyone's favourite episode? I don't remember any of the episode names, but I like the one where Kryton's hand crawled up Lister's leg, and he thought it was a big spider. Oh, and the one in which they visited that tribe of aliens/monsters, and the chief's daughter wanted to marry Lister.

I like the big epic ones where we think they're going to get home* and they don't.

(*well I did when I was nine).

Like when they found that time machine thingy, and they set it for their time and we thought they'd land at home back on earth, but when they'd done it they were of course still in the same part of deep space, just years earlier.

The Despair Squid is a good one too. When they wake up and believe that 'Red Dwarf' was just a computer game they were playing and they're all really different people. Got to love Dwayne Dibley! :D

Oh yes, excellent one.

One of my faves too. Dwayne Dibley!! Laughing out loud

Edit; The one where they crash Starbug on the 'ice planet' was class too. Oh, and the one where Lister starts off with a broken leg, but no-one can remember why.

Quote: Aaron @ August 26 2008, 8:14 PM BST

Where did you see that? I think it's unlikely that it'll be straight to DVD, but being through Worldwide could offer them greater flexibility, particularly in regards to international sales (as has already been mentioned of its US fanbase).

I can't remember where I originally saw it, I just clicked on a link. But here's something that mentions it...

http://showhype.com/story/llewtube_com_view_topic_new_red_dwarf_episode_annouced/

It sounded to me like a repeat of the situation with the old Doctor Who special that never was 'The Dark Dimension', where they had a half-assed idea to bring back Tom Baker and give the other Doctors short cameos which I believe Colin Baker, Peter Davision and Sylvester McCoy turned down. I think the plan was to release it on video, mainly, and maybe to show it on TV later.