Red Dwarf to return Page 9

It's going to be interesting, to say the least.

Hopefully a decade away from Dwarf has reinvigorated Doug Naylor, who after a reasonable series VII (some very good, some awful) went on to do VIII which was utterly embarrassing.

As for this Corrie - Dwarf cross-over. Well, Robert Llewellyn's Twitter page has basically said 'Don't jump to conclusions' so lets just hope that this is some Comic Relief thing, or something which doesn't feature too heavily.

Ohhh, because Lister's in Coronation Street.
I get it now.

Quote: Seefacts @ February 2 2009, 9:20 PM GMT

As for this Corrie - Dwarf cross-over. Well, Robert Llewellyn's Twitter page has basically said 'Don't jump to conclusions' so lets just hope that this is some Comic Relief thing, or something which doesn't feature too heavily.

Phew..

Oh dear God . . . I don't know what to make of this:

http://www.denofgeek.com/television/201611/red_dwarf_to_meet_coronation_street.html

Let's hope it's what we were thinking, and not a proper episode.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 13 2009, 10:25 AM GMT

Oh dear God . . .

Oh dear God . . . I don't know what to make of this:

http://www.denofgeek.com/television/201611/red_dwarf_to_meet_coronation_street.html

Let's hope it's what we were thinking, and not a proper episode.

That looks like it's going to be something done for Comic Relief.

Quote: Mikey J @ February 13 2009, 11:08 AM GMT

That looks like it's going to be something done for Comic Relief.

Let us hope so. I can't imagine it will be anything else but along those lines, as that would quite clearly be mental.

It MUST be for Comic Relief. SURELY!

Hey, if so, maybe Comic Relief is going back to its roots and will be actually worth watching again.

I can see the premise working as well, where Lister has (I assume) forgotten he's Lister and has been thinking he's a character on Corrie for gawd knows how many years, only to be rescued by the others.

I can see it's good for marketing the show too.
Comic Relief spoof episode in March, followed by the new series in April.

Trouble is, most of the time these things specifically state that it's for Comic Relief. They want to be seen to be doing their bit for charity. Would they really miss such an opportunity? I have a horrible feeling it may be part of the new Dwarf proper.

Personally I thought that absolutely every single episode of Red Dwarf was great. Sure, the new Kochanski wasn't as good as Grogan and was no replacement for Rimmer, and certainly the last series didn't match up to the earlier ones but clearly, it was only a bit poor when compared to earlier series of Red Dwarf. It was still better than most other shows with some hilarious gags and classic scenes.

I don't think they'll mess it up. It might not be as good as the best episodes of the best series but I've no doubt it will still be well acted and very funny.

There's more on the channel's website: http://dave.uktv.co.uk/library/red-dwarf/red-dwarf-news-street-exclusive-images/

Even if it is for the main episode, is that so terrible? The Red Dwarf crew have always jumped through dimensions, time etc. It's just a bit of fun!

Quote: Seefacts @ February 2 2009, 9:20 PM GMT

It's going to be interesting, to say the least.

Hopefully a decade away from Dwarf has reinvigorated Doug Naylor, who after a reasonable series VII (some very good, some awful) went on to do VIII which was utterly embarrassing.

Does anyone prefer season VIII to season VII ?
Or is season VIII widely regarded as the worst ?.

Quote: Mark @ February 13 2009, 3:06 PM GMT

Even if it is for the main episode, is that so terrible?

Yes.

Quote: Fred Sunshine @ February 13 2009, 3:09 PM GMT

Does anyone prefer season VIII to season VII ?
Or is season VIII widely regarded as the worst ?.

I preferred some bits of it, mostly Holly and Rimmer being back. There were some excellent bits - the time delayed fight and the clothes eating bugs were hilarious.

Mind you, series VII had the Rimmer Munchkin song which is one of the funniest things ever.

Quote: Afinkawan @ February 13 2009, 4:22 PM GMT

Mind you, series VII had the Rimmer Munchkin song which is one of the funniest things ever.

Yes!

Having only re-watched series eight recently, after not even making it through the whole lot on first transmission, I have to say I was pleasently surprised. It's not vintage Dwarf by any stretch of the imagination, but I did find myslef enjoying a lot of it. And Chloƫ Annett's Kochanski was much better than Clare Grogan's really. Not funny, but a superior performance.